New F-Secure and "One License/One Device"

Familia_L
Familia_L Posts: 2 Observer
edited December 2023 in F-Secure ID Protection

We are a family of 2 adults and 4 kids. 

Our familys typical Windows computer has one admin account (security, you know? for installing stuff etc) and _several_ normal user accounts ( Dad, Mom, kid1, kid2 ..)

We have several computers and even one Macbook. Some user accounts are on multible computers and some are not. We used to have 10 licenses (for max 10 computers/phones used by 6 different users) and that was more than enough.

Then comes the "New F-Secure" application and you call your new Subscription model as "One License / One Device? That is simply not true. 

Every single user from admin account to normal account needs now to have a separate "license", so "One Device" actually eats up several licenses - one for every user. And because we have multible computers, our family would need several times more licenses than before. All the variations counted (computers with multible user accounts, personal phones, pads etc), we would easily need about 30-35 licenses - just to cover one familys needs!?

I call this simply BS.

This is our familys last subcription with F-Secure if you do not change the model. We have had a good 20 years, but this greedy new-model-madness is simply too much.

Accepted Answers

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser
    Answer ✓

Hello,

Sorry for my reply.

Maybe there was a discussion of this "trouble" (How many licences for 3 PC's and 2 smartphones with TOTAL Security — F-Secure Community); as an example of difference between terms like "up-to-three devices" (in generic description) and "up-to-three installations" (in fact).

Or F-Secure ID Protection related 'licensing' confusion, which discussed:

And I think the problem is really nasty.

However,

Then comes the "New F-Secure" application and you call your new Subscription model as "One License / One Device? That is simply not true. 

Сould you please refer to which model you are talking about?

I mean, I think the "New F-Secure" application is the new F-Secure Total app (described there: F-Secure's offering as of February 14, 2023 - F-Secure Community).

And subscription model "one license / one device" is just a 'package/option' (like I see there: F-Secure Total — One app to secure your digital moments | F-Secure - "one year / one device" or "one year / five devices" and so on)?

Or do you mean some other promotional(?) info?

or still simply inequivalent calling 'installation' (or activation) as 'device' . Where, 'five devices / one year' subscription can take 'some of five' licenses even for one device.

Every single user from admin account to normal account needs now to have a separate "license", so "One Device" actually eats up several licenses - one for every user

What is your previous F-Secure app/subscription/solution? Before renewing to or purchasing / considering current 'New F-Secure'?

Anyway, I think that for sure there will be an official answer from the F-Secure team or the F-Secure Community team. With some intelligible explanation or some kind of solution.

but I just want to try to understand what use case was missed. For instance, I understand troubles described with F-Secure ID Protection topics. Probably, with F-Secure TOTAL and the built-in Password Vault, this has been preserved. And if so, how exactly are licenses counted, for example on your Windows device now.

Especially when you mentioned that "We used to have 10 licenses" and that was more than enough.

Thanks!

Answer ✓

One device uses 1 F-Secure TOTAL device-license, no matter how many local users you have on it (Windows, Mac). So if you have 8 devices and each of those devices has 4 users that use Vault, you would need 8 licenses total.

If this is not the case, then something is wrong and support can help you sort it out.

F-Secure R&D, Desktop products

Answers

• Familia_L
    Familia_L Posts: 2 Observer

Let me explain with example:

Let there be 8 "Devices": Computer_1, Computer_2, Computer_3, Computer_4, Phone_5, Phone_6, Phone_7 and Phone_8.

Each (windows) computer has multiple user accounts.

Let there be 4 "Users": Dad_A, Mom_B, Child_C and Child_D.

User A uses devices 1, 3, 4 and 5 --> Installs eats up 4 F-Secure Total "device-licenses".

User B uses devices 2, 3, 4 and 6 --> Installs eats up 4 F-Secure Total "device-licenses".

User C uses devices 3, 4 and 7 --> Installs eats up 3 F-Secure Total "device-licenses".

User D uses devices 3, 4 and 8 -> Installs eats up 3 F-Secure Total "device-licenses".

Summa sum arum:

One family of 4 persons with devices --> 14 "device-licenses" needed to cover their needs.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info