Problem installing on 2nd device

mporter2023
mporter2023 Posts: 6 New Member
edited November 2023 in F-Secure Total

I renewed my sub for Total, and 3 devices. Installs fine in first device. Install on 2nd device (laptop, windows 7) appears to work. but does not really conclude, and when I click on the f-secure icon the f-secure screen outline flashes on the screen but does not display. Tried this twice.

What is up?

Accepted Answers

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

Hello,

Just as a side note: Support for Windows 7 ending soon (as described in this KB article: Support for Windows 7 ending on August 14, 2023 - F-Secure Community)

Install on 2nd device (laptop, windows 7) appears to work. but does not really conclude, and when I click on the f-secure icon the f-secure screen outline flashes on the screen but does not display. Tried this twice.

So, F-Secure Total is installed on your laptop (Windows 7). But when you trying to open it - splash and nothing to display?

You tried this twice? Or you tried to reinstall F-Secure Total (twice)?

As a random guess - can it be something about .NET Framework? Related KB article:

Also, topic's trouble: Can't open F-Secure SAFE on Windows 10 — F-Secure Community - fixed by reinstallation.

If your experience is about crash - can you check system Windows Event Viewer (Journal) - if any errors there at the time of trying to open F-Secure UI.

Thanks!

// later additions:

some other topics of 'troubles' with opening UI

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,608 Community Manager
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓

Hello @mporter2023

I'm delighted to hear that the issue has been resolved!

To recap our discussion, we noticed that you were using an older version of the .NET framework, specifically version 4.7.2. In order to ensure smooth functionality, we recommend updating to the latest available version. The behavior you experienced could be related to issues with Microsoft Windows updates, particularly related to the .NET framework. It's possible that the 4.7.2 version is either broken or not correctly installed. To address this, we suggest upgrading to the latest version, which is 4.8. You can find the upgrade on the following webpage: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/dotnet/announcing-the-net-framework-4-8/

Another potential solution is to enable Software rendering for the application. To access this option, simply hold down the SHIFT key while right-clicking the tray icon to open the menu. From there, you can enable software rendering for the current user. Please note that this option is user-specific, so if you have multiple Windows users, you may need to enable it for each user separately if necessary. Software rendering should only be used if you encounter issues with rendering the user interface, such as the screen being completely black or white, or displaying artifacts.

It seems that you have received a restart notification from the program. The issue is most likely caused by missing Windows updates on your machine. To help resolve this issue, we kindly recommend checking out the following link:

https://community.f-secure.com/common-home-en/kb/articles/29651

By following the instructions provided in the link, you should be able to address the problem and ensure that your system is up to date.

Thank you once again, and I hope you have a wonderful day.

Answers

• mporter2023

Thank you for answering so quickly.

1. I know about Win 7, but will deal with that later.
    2. I did not get an error message when installing Total, but I did try installing Net 4.7.2, and the installer said it would repair my install. No error messages.
    3. Restarted the computer and the problem persists.
  • Ukko
    edited April 2023

Hello,

I edited my reply later (with some more references), can you check subject of this topic:

is it possible that still can occur or applied to your situation?

// later added:

and there is one more point

Installing Microsoft Edge WebView2 Runtime manually - F-Secure Community

• mporter2023

I did look at the SAFE issue and I don't think it applies -- the NET install did not throw any error. Neither did the Total installer.

• Ukko

Hello,

I did look at the SAFE issue and I don't think it applies -- the NET install did not throw any error. Neither did the Total installer.

Thanks for your feedback.

In this case, it may be easiest to contact their Support directly through the official communication channel (although in mentioned topic, the user wrote a rather similar description - that the UI seems to appear and immediately disappear. no errors; however, it is not clear whether that reply from F-Secure with a certain suggestion was a solution).

For example, web-chat option in the bottom right corner there: Contact support | F-Secure

Support Agents can collect fsdiag and then to perform an analysis.

Still the problem sounds like the .NET Framework being used (or parts of it, or things like the 3d acceleration mentioned) is having a problem. However it is unclear whether (and why) the installation itself was completed then. So I would still try to see if there is anything in the Windows log (Event Viewer; click Start -- Control Panel -- System and Security -- Administrative Tools; double-click Event Viewer) about the crash event.

Thanks!

• Firmy

Hello @mporter2023

Welcome to the F-Secure Community. Thank you for your post.

I just wanted to check in and see if you're still having issues with the new F-Secure Total app on your Windows 7. If you are, we can help you troubleshoot the issue by generating an FSDIAG report. You can follow the steps in this link to generate the report Using the support tool | Total | Latest | F-Secure User Guides

Once you have generated the FSDIAG, please let me know. You can send the file to me via private message.

Please let us know if you require any further assistance. We're always here to help.

Thank you and have a great day!

• mporter2023

Sorry to ghost -- I have been traveling, without internet access.

I am still having the problem, but so not see how to send a PM. There is no "icon on the right of the Inbox"

Thank you,

• Firmy

Hello @mporter2023

Thank you so much for getting back to me!

I just wanted to reach out and ask if it would be possible for you to generate an FSDIAG for me. If it's not too much trouble, could you kindly send it to me via private message?

I really appreciate your help, and I'm eagerly awaiting your response.

Thanks again, and I hope you have a wonderful day!

This discussion has been closed.