Why is there no internet connection on my computer when F-Secure FREEDOME VPN protection is turned ON?
First of all, make sure you are running only one VPN on your device.
To try to fix the issue, you can try to change the protocol settings to see if that fixes the issue:
You can also try to reset the DNS cache on your computer. How to reset DNS cache on a Windows computer:
- Open F-Secure FREEDOME
- Go to Settings
- Click Choose VPN protocol
- Switch between OpenVPN, OpenVPN (TCP) and IKEv2
- Turn the VPN protection on
1. Open the command prompt as an administrator.
2. In the Command prompt, type the command below. After each command, press Enter to execute.
3. Restart your machine and check again.
- ipconfig /flushdns
- netsh winsock reset
- netsh int ipv6 reset
If the above steps do not help, the issue might be that your firewall is blocking the connection. If that is the case, you need to change your firewall settings to allow the connection.
Our Android, Windows and macOS products use the OpenVPN protocol. The ports for Android, Mac, and Windows are:
Allow traffic on these ports in your firewall and try to connect FREEDOME again. Refer to this video on how to open the Windows Firewall and configure the ports:
- TCP/UDP ports in the range 2700 - 2800
- TCP port 443
Check if automatic killswitch is enabled. Here's how to check.
The automatic killswitch is the 4th button under Connection & Status. If it is turned on,
- Open F-Secure FREEDOME VPN
- Click Settings
Specific programs made to optimize network performance by for example switching between different network connections or deciding how different software is allowed to use the network might also cause issues with Freedome. If you are aware of such software being installed on your computer, try turning it off to see if it has an effect.
- Click Allow connections to other devices in trusted networks.
- Check the network you're currently connected to
- Click Save
Check if you have for example the Npcap capture driver installed on your computer. It is known to cause issues when installed simultanously with Freedome. The Npcap capture driver is installed often with Wireshark.
Article no: 000006587