"Could not verify your code" Error When registering a New Freedome Installation with a New Code

Aspirant

"Could not verify your code" Error When registering a New Freedome Installation with a New Code

Any ideas please. I have an old laptop (Windows 7) and have in the last week installed an older version of Freedome (1.0.2352.0). Recent versions will not work. Yesterday I bought a new subscription with 5 licences and tried to register the 1st of the 5 on the laptop. I received the "Could not verify your code" error . I then successfully registered using one of the new licences on an iPhone.

Yesterday my old subscription for 3 devices expired and so today I installed using the new licences on two of those Android devices. That leaves me with 2 unused licenses and yet I still cannot register the laptop.

The result is that, although I have installed Freedome on the laptop I have not been able to test it because the new subscription code is not accepted. Last week, although all three of my now expired licences were in use, I did try the old licence code on the laptop installation but it failed with the same error message. I assume that if it had worked then I would have been alerted to the fact that the 3 licences were in use and possibly would have been advised to remove the licence from one of the other devices.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Aspirant

Re: "Could not verify your code" Error When registering a New Freedome Installation with a New Code

Hi Ukko,

Solution

The problem of installing Freedome on this legacy laptop is fixed, using software rendering that allows the new version of Freedome to run. The solution uses a dll file specifically for Windows (called opengl32sw.dll). F-secure provided a neat little cmd script to automate the installation of the dll library. If you have a similar problem the advice from F-Secure is to contact their support team.

The problem was that the laptop's graphics hardware is not able to support the updated QT modules used in recent versions of Freedom (that require graphics capabilities such as DirectX10).

An alternative solution is to use an older version of Freedome (available from F-Secure) but that did not work initially because, as I discovered and have already explained, that old software, when it is first installed, does not recognise the Freedome licence code. However, that is easily fixed once you realise you must install the old Freedome as either a reinstall of, or a downgrade from, a version of Freedome that is already installed.

It was posts from Ukko that led to getting an old version of Freedome to work. Ukko explained that there were different types of Freedome licence code. As I result I realised that the old version was installed correctly but it was expecting a licence code that was probably intended for the free-trial version of Freedome.

Using an old version as a solution is not satisfactory as a permanent solution and does not support the transfer of Freedome licences when you want to swap a licence to another device.

Thank you for your help

19 REPLIES 19
Superuser

Re: "Could not verify your code" Error When registering a New Freedome Installation with a New Code

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I'm also only F-Secure user.

I think that most valid step is to contact direct F-Secure Support Channels:

https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/home_global/contact-support

Also -> with my own experience some of certain 'builds' of Freedome allow (or deny) certain type of subscription;

So maybe your situation based on point that you try to add subscription under older version of Freedome (and expected another type of subscription-view); And there F-Secure Support most likely able to do something;

And does this certain build of Freedome -> recommendation from official F-Secure channel (Support)? And does it provided by them or another official source? If not - maybe F-Secure Support able to provide certain 'latest' available build for you (based on your system -> where maybe not supported OpenGL2?!)

Since "Could not verify your code" - not clear about potential reasons (why could not);

Thanks!

// later edited

Aspirant

Ukko, Thank you for your reply. That is a good point you made about the version and you are right that it was an OpenGL2 problem. The old Freedome build was sent to me by F-Secure support. Initially that old version would not install either and so I upgraded the Display Adapter driver to the most recent and the old version did install. I had been reluctant to upgrade the driver because the driver that is recommended breaks the laptop's function keys used to control the screen brightness. Once the old build installed I decided to remove it and try to install the most recent version again, thinking that too would now work with the new driver. But it would not install - same problem and same error message as before "Install a driver containing OpenGL 2.0 or higher etc". Therefore I reverted to the old Freedome build.

I received a follow-up email from F-Secure Customer care asking if the old-build installation was succesful and I have replied explaing the current situation and am waiting for a reply.

Superuser

Hello,

So, most likely F-Secure Support answer/investigation will be most useful with this situation;

But just as your own temporary steps - maybe it possible to re-check:

--> Does any software (or security software) under your system able to prevent/block connection to Freedome-servers during validation your subscription key?

Because based on this topic/response (and related Knowledgebase article):

https://community.f-secure.com/t5/F-Secure/Could-not-verify-your-code/m-p/73527/highlight/true#M2182

not likely that your device got the stuck about "subscription/activation key" from previous installations (but good to re-sure it.. with Uninstall and then clean install Freedome; if previously there was "reinstallation" - if Freedome provide such ability -> like install another build with not uninstall current installation - even if there is 'older' version);

Also -> just because re-use license/subscription also did not work under this device (as you noted);

Thanks!

Aspirant

Thank you, Ukko

I did think about uninstalling and then re-installing so followed your suggestion. However, still the same problem, which is what you thought. But I agree with you - worth a try.

Your question

"Does any software (or security software) under your system able to prevent/block connection to Freedome-servers during validation your subscription key?"

I don't think so. I sometimes use another VPN sevice but that has been switched off while installing and testing Freedome.

Aspirant

Sorry about the delay since last submission.

My older Window 7 laptops both resulted in the "OpenGL2 problem" when trying to install Freedome and hence the reason for this thread. I was advised to try an older version of the software (Freedome_1.0.2352.0.exe) that should work with my older display drivers. That installation itself worked but then the code (the registration key) failed with the error message "could not verify your code".

I was advised by F-secure support to uninstall and retry. That did not help, so was given an uninstal tool (FsUninstallationTool.exe) but the problem remained.

That is the background.

Yesterday I had an opportunity to attempt to install Freedome on another Windows machine with an appropriate display adapter. I was confident that the new (current) version of Freedome would work but, as a test, decided to try the old version first. That worked as previously but then again failed when attempting the enter the code and with the same error message "could not verify your code".

I then tried the current version and that both installed and accepted the code. I am therefore 90% confident that the problem is not with my older laptops but with the older installation software. I am hoping that F-Secure can provide a version that does work.

Superuser

@Kotlet wrote:

Yesterday I had an opportunity to attempt to install Freedome on another Windows machine with an appropriate display adapter. I was confident that the new (current) version of Freedome would work but, as a test, decided to try the old version first. That worked as previously but then again failed when attempting the enter the code and with the same error message "could not verify your code".

I then tried the current version and that both installed and accepted the code. I am therefore 90% confident that the problem is not with my older laptops but with the older installation software. I am hoping that F-Secure can provide a version that does work.

Hello,

I with experience about situation when certain voucher (?!) was not work under fresh installers/builds, but normally allowed under 'outdated'; So -> maybe your situation also can be valid with meanings: some certain type of 'subscription-keys/activation-keys/vouchers' are redesigned and allowed only under current up-to-date Freedome builds;

Maybe it also possible to ask F-Secure Support (with explanation about this potential setting/situation) about kind of 're-creating' activation-key/voucher for you; If will be not possible to get another installer;

Sorry for my unofficial suggestion;

Thanks!

Aspirant

Thank you, Ukko

I think you are probably right. One of the helpful support staff has used remote access on one of the old laptops and gone through the same procedures, checking the display driver, installing the up-to-date Freedome and then installing the older version (Freedome_1.0.2352.0.exe), with the same result: a could not verify code error. A diagnostic report was uploaded and so may get a result in a few days.

Community Manager

Hi Kotlet,

If I remember correctly, we had the Freedome license transfer functionality available from version (v1.1.2531.0) or later in use. If you installed the previous versions of Freedome before this version number, it will show an error message if you have exceeded the number of available licenses.

I was able to find an older post having this information.

Has somebody helped you? Say thanks by giving likes. Has your issue been solved? Mark the post using "Accept As Solution" button to let others know.
Aspirant

Hi Laksh

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I did install an earlier version and the problem was that the licence code would not verify. However,  for most of those repeated installation attempts (on an old laptop) I did have spare unused licences. As a check I have just removed a succesfull installation from an iPhone to ensure that I do have one unused licence and have made another attempt to install on the laptop, and first removed the old, failed installation using the Freedome uninstall tool.  It again failed with the same problem - failed to verify  the code.

Therefore, although there is a problem with the licence code, the problem does not appear directly related to the license transfer functionality.