Internet Security - Full Scan - frezes the computer - hard shut down needed !

Internet Security - Full Scan - frezes the computer - hard shut down needed

Hi I am on a trial Internet Security. I am testing.

Windows 10 x64

Playing a youtube video in Firefox.

Starting a "Full Computer Scan" gets to about 2% and frezes up the computer totaly when getting to the file 'plugin-container.exe'

Everything is fresh and up to date.

Only way to get out of this is to hard kill with the Power Off button.

internet_security_crash.jpgcrash

Comments

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

Do you have any other security software installed on the machine, or have you just uninstalled another product?  This sort of thing can suggest a conflict with other antivirus software.

• Morten2
    Morten2 Posts: 11 Observer

No.

F-Secure should test it. Its reproducable her, every time.

firefox.jpg

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. Just as my own unofficial feedback.

I do not able to repeat certain view with my own system;

But I feel kind of "delay" for second percent at full scan (usually about thirty seconds; or some minutes with overload under system); This delay I also able to feel about "Brief scan" and this is only about switch between 'first part of scan" and "second part of scan" (from 'processes' to filesystem);

I tried launch only small youtube video  under Firefox and launch Full Scan by F-Secure Internet Security; After some time (kind of 'temporary freeze') scanning goes next (I tried some times -> because with first tries.. my network goes be broken... and Full Scan ?! maybe based on this -> continues to scan);

Then I tried to install all listed extension under your screenshot. And stuck do not comes anyway. Small difference with your screenshot (my installed "Disable WebRTC"-extension already not marked as "Legacy"); ALSO (?! if possible) Firefox do not create plugin-container.exe processes (?!).

BUT - I with one-time experience about F-Secure SAFE beta/technology preview (FS Protection) as stuck at 'first' (or even ?! no one percent) under Scan Wizard; ?! potentially based on "Windows Updates" at background; I found that Windows 10 did installation/downloading for monthly updates... and when it practically completed -> Scan Wizard unfreezed and F-Secure continues scanning;

With my own experience -> today Windows 10 also with such tries, but stuck did not comes....

If your experience indeed possible to repeat under your system: maybe good to create fsdiag and transfer it to F-Secure Support (chat?!) directly:

https://community.f-secure.com/t5/Common-topics/How-do-I-create-an-FSDIAG-file/ta-p/18190

Thanks!

• Ukko

but..... and also sorry for my previous long reply:

Starting a "Full Computer Scan" gets to about 2% and frezes up the computer totaly when getting to the file 'plugin-container.exe'

does system indeed 'unresponsive' during this stuck? Maybe Windows Event Journal with some strings around this time/minutes (?!) as potential src of more information for reasons (?!).

Thanks.

• Morten2

Thanks for replys and sugestions.

Yes there was as mentioned loads of windowsupdate activity in the eventlog in the time of the first crash.

But now I did a restart.

Waited for Windows and others to fully load.

Started Firefox.

Started a youtube video.

Started a F-Secure/Tools/Full system scan.

2% scan, sound stuck in a loop, system freeze.

Hard reset with power button only way.

This time as you can se it stops at 'firefox.exe'

Cant find any usefull info related to scan or crash in event logs.

I will now look into the FSDIAG

crash.jpg

• Morten2

The support chat is never online.

Im fed up. I thought this forum was run buy "support" or someone who could fwd stuff to technicians.

• nanonyme
    nanonyme Posts: 145 Path Finder
    Hey,
    I don't think there is any way whatsoever your diagnostics can be directed to technicians unless it's something that reproduces for everyone. You will need to contact support with fsdiag for detailed analysis, see above link by Ukko
  • Morten2

Well. I am in a buy or do not buy situation. Just saying. Not going to buy in my situation. What do you think? Why would I?

Regards.

• Ukko

@Morten2 wrote:

The support chat is never online.

Im fed up. I thought this forum was run buy "support" or someone who could fwd stuff to technicians.

Hello,

Sorry for my reply.

time to time, at least, home_global website with unexpected 'Online'-status for chat:

https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/home_global/contact-support

With 'local' websites -> it should work with noted local hours ('Service hours' under page);

I able to think that.. just potentially... it possible that F-Secure Community Managers or Moderators (or F-Secure Team's staff) able to 'trigger' communication between related agents/teams and user (by mail, as example) from community based on topic/replies; Or some other steps for troubleshoot/investigation;

Just as example of some variants;

But .. maybe do you able to re-try repeat such trouble with disabled extensions (?); Maybe Firefox with such feature as "run Firefox with Safe Mode" (or so);

Because -> if stuck/hang/freeze happened only with "Firefox"-processes scanning timepoint -> this is strange. And I able to think that maybe just Firefox hang/freeze and kill system by this 'hang' fully or temporarily. And good to re-use that this is not based on certain plugin or extension (?!). // since -> difference with your screenshot and my try to repeat: only "Disable WebRTC" not marked as legacy (more up-to-dated?!); but I not sure -> what else can be as potential trigger for such trouble (except extensions or something not default one);

Thanks!

// also such topic from Firefox-support pages (?!) sounds as potentially related with your experience:

https://support.mozilla.org/questions/1094223

hangs, firefox, system, youtube;

difference: your experience... about certain trigger as "Scanning" by F-Secure;

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info