"Could not verify your code" Error When registering a New Freedome Installation with a New Code

Kotlet
Kotlet Posts: 13 Explorer

Any ideas please. I have an old laptop (Windows 7) and have in the last week installed an older version of Freedome (1.0.2352.0). Recent versions will not work. Yesterday I bought a new subscription with 5 licences and tried to register the 1st of the 5 on the laptop. I received the "Could not verify your code" error . I then successfully registered using one of the new licences on an iPhone.

Yesterday my old subscription for 3 devices expired and so today I installed using the new licences on two of those Android devices. That leaves me with 2 unused licenses and yet I still cannot register the laptop.

The result is that, although I have installed Freedome on the laptop I have not been able to test it because the new subscription code is not accepted. Last week, although all three of my now expired licences were in use, I did try the old licence code on the laptop installation but it failed with the same error message. I assume that if it had worked then I would have been alerted to the fact that the 3 licences were in use and possibly would have been advised to remove the licence from one of the other devices.

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I'm also only F-Secure user.

I think that most valid step is to contact direct F-Secure Support Channels:

https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/home_global/contact-support

Also -> with my own experience some of certain 'builds' of Freedome allow (or deny) certain type of subscription;

So maybe your situation based on point that you try to add subscription under older version of Freedome (and expected another type of subscription-view); And there F-Secure Support most likely able to do something;

And does this certain build of Freedome -> recommendation from official F-Secure channel (Support)? And does it provided by them or another official source? If not - maybe F-Secure Support able to provide certain 'latest' available build for you (based on your system -> where maybe not supported OpenGL2?!)

Since "Could not verify your code" - not clear about potential reasons (why could not);

Thanks!

// later edited

• Kotlet

Ukko, Thank you for your reply. That is a good point you made about the version and you are right that it was an OpenGL2 problem. The old Freedome build was sent to me by F-Secure support. Initially that old version would not install either and so I upgraded the Display Adapter driver to the most recent and the old version did install. I had been reluctant to upgrade the driver because the driver that is recommended breaks the laptop's function keys used to control the screen brightness. Once the old build installed I decided to remove it and try to install the most recent version again, thinking that too would now work with the new driver. But it would not install - same problem and same error message as before "Install a driver containing OpenGL 2.0 or higher etc". Therefore I reverted to the old Freedome build.

I received a follow-up email from F-Secure Customer care asking if the old-build installation was succesful and I have replied explaing the current situation and am waiting for a reply.

• Ukko

Hello,

So, most likely F-Secure Support answer/investigation will be most useful with this situation;

But just as your own temporary steps - maybe it possible to re-check:

--> Does any software (or security software) under your system able to prevent/block connection to Freedome-servers during validation your subscription key?

Because based on this topic/response (and related Knowledgebase article):

https://community.f-secure.com/t5/F-Secure/Could-not-verify-your-code/m-p/73527/highlight/true#M2182

not likely that your device got the stuck about "subscription/activation key" from previous installations (but good to re-sure it.. with Uninstall and then clean install Freedome; if previously there was "reinstallation" - if Freedome provide such ability -> like install another build with not uninstall current installation - even if there is 'older' version);

Also -> just because re-use license/subscription also did not work under this device (as you noted);

Thanks!

• Kotlet

Thank you, Ukko

I did think about uninstalling and then re-installing so followed your suggestion. However, still the same problem, which is what you thought. But I agree with you - worth a try.

Your question

"Does any software (or security software) under your system able to prevent/block connection to Freedome-servers during validation your subscription key?"

I don't think so. I sometimes use another VPN sevice but that has been switched off while installing and testing Freedome.

• Kotlet

Sorry about the delay since last submission.

My older Window 7 laptops both resulted in the "OpenGL2 problem" when trying to install Freedome and hence the reason for this thread. I was advised to try an older version of the software (Freedome_1.0.2352.0.exe) that should work with my older display drivers. That installation itself worked but then the code (the registration key) failed with the error message "could not verify your code".

I was advised by F-secure support to uninstall and retry. That did not help, so was given an uninstal tool (FsUninstallationTool.exe) but the problem remained.

That is the background.

Yesterday I had an opportunity to attempt to install Freedome on another Windows machine with an appropriate display adapter. I was confident that the new (current) version of Freedome would work but, as a test, decided to try the old version first. That worked as previously but then again failed when attempting the enter the code and with the same error message "could not verify your code".

I then tried the current version and that both installed and accepted the code. I am therefore 90% confident that the problem is not with my older laptops but with the older installation software. I am hoping that F-Secure can provide a version that does work.

• Ukko

@Kotlet wrote:

Yesterday I had an opportunity to attempt to install Freedome on another Windows machine with an appropriate display adapter. I was confident that the new (current) version of Freedome would work but, as a test, decided to try the old version first. That worked as previously but then again failed when attempting the enter the code and with the same error message "could not verify your code".

I then tried the current version and that both installed and accepted the code. I am therefore 90% confident that the problem is not with my older laptops but with the older installation software. I am hoping that F-Secure can provide a version that does work.

Hello,

I with experience about situation when certain voucher (?!) was not work under fresh installers/builds, but normally allowed under 'outdated'; So -> maybe your situation also can be valid with meanings: some certain type of 'subscription-keys/activation-keys/vouchers' are redesigned and allowed only under current up-to-date Freedome builds;

Maybe it also possible to ask F-Secure Support (with explanation about this potential setting/situation) about kind of 're-creating' activation-key/voucher for you; If will be not possible to get another installer;

Sorry for my unofficial suggestion;

Thanks!

• Kotlet

Thank you, Ukko

I think you are probably right. One of the helpful support staff has used remote access on one of the old laptops and gone through the same procedures, checking the display driver, installing the up-to-date Freedome and then installing the older version (Freedome_1.0.2352.0.exe), with the same result: a could not verify code error. A diagnostic report was uploaded and so may get a result in a few days.

• Laksh
    Laksh Posts: 4,224 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi Kotlet,

If I remember correctly, we had the Freedome license transfer functionality available from version (v1.1.2531.0) or later in use. If you installed the previous versions of Freedome before this version number, it will show an error message if you have exceeded the number of available licenses.

I was able to find an older post having this information.

• Kotlet

Hi Laksh

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I did install an earlier version and the problem was that the licence code would not verify. However,  for most of those repeated installation attempts (on an old laptop) I did have spare unused licences. As a check I have just removed a succesfull installation from an iPhone to ensure that I do have one unused licence and have made another attempt to install on the laptop, and first removed the old, failed installation using the Freedome uninstall tool.  It again failed with the same problem - failed to verify  the code.

Therefore, although there is a problem with the licence code, the problem does not appear directly related to the license transfer functionality.

• Kotlet

Following my last post, it has occured to me that uninstalling the Freedome app from an iPhone does not release the Freedome licence code. In that last post I had assumed that it would.

Therefore, I have just enabled Freedome on another device assuming that all five licences are in use, and they were. This triggers Freedome's licence transfer and so frees up all five licences. Then I attempted a fresh install of the old Freedome "Freedome_1.0.2352.0.exe" on the old laptop. Once again the licence verification failed with the error message "Could not verify your code".

This seems to confirm that this failure is not a direct consequence of there being no unused licences. At this moment I should have at the most only two of the five licences in use. However, I guess that it is possible that the licence transfer procedure may only allocate those unused licences through a more recent version of the Freedome program.

• Ukko

Spoiler
    Kotlet wrote:

Following my last post, it has occured to me that uninstalling the Freedome app from an iPhone does not release the Freedome licence code. In that last post I had assumed that it would.

Therefore, I have just enabled Freedome on another device assuming that all five licences are in use, and they were. This triggers Freedome's licence transfer and so frees up all five licences. Then I attempted a fresh install of the old Freedome "Freedome_1.0.2352.0.exe" on the old laptop. Once again the licence verification failed with the error message "Could not verify your code".

This seems to confirm that this failure is not a direct consequence of there being no unused licences. At this moment I should have at the most only two of the five licences in use. However, I guess that it is possible that the licence transfer procedure may only allocate those unused licences through a more recent version of the Freedome program.

Hello,

I able to think that maybe """This triggers Freedome's licence transfer and so frees up all five licences.""" not always work. And most likely -> only 'certain' licence re-used. But if your client created words/notification that all of licenses 'cleared' (or even as with "F-Secure Internet Security" required re-connection by device/installation and only after this step -> license 'in use' again) -- maybe this is valid statement.

Anyway -> good to receive official clarification about it; And anyway... required any workarounds for you about installing/use Freedome on your devices. Good if F-Secure Support do create something :)

Thanks!

Sorry for my spoiler's suggestion^  -- because based on this article:

If you choose the Transfer option: 
    •Your Freedome subscription resets itself, and all licenses are released from all of your Freedome installations.

indeed should be like this! and another meanings from spoiler's suggestion can be actual;

• Laksh

Hi Kotlet,

Yes, as in my previous post, the older version of Freedome (1.0.2352.0 in your case) does not support the license transfer functionality. Hence, you see the error message even when you have the licenses freed.

If you tried to use the newer version of Freedome, you won't be seeing the message as the license would be transferred.

• Kotlet

Hi Laksh

Thank you for your reply.

"The older version of Freedome (1.0.2352.0 in your case) does not support the license transfer functionality"

Yes, I understand that. If all the licences have been used the older version will not trigger that licence transfer. In that situation the problem is that the older version does not support licence transfer. Presumably, either the older version detects that there is no licence and so the code simply does not work or the older version simply does not recognise the code.

However, that is different from the situation where you do have available licences. What you appear to be suggesting is that even though there are one or more available licences associated with the licence code, the old version is unable to use one of those licences. In that context there is no need to trigger the transfer of a licence and so the failure of the old version is not directly linked to the licence transfer function. Therefore, it should not matter that the older version does not support licence transfer - the failure to recognise the code is not directly a result of the lack of support for the licence transfer. The failure is for some other reason.

It seems that the problem is that the old software simply does not recognise the licence code. This must be a well known problem. It should be possible for F-secure to enable a free trial access code to circumvent this problem. Then, at least a user, such as myself, would see that the old software does actually work and so not waste hours trying to find and update the display driver. In fact, when the old software is installed the initial screen shows that it is a free trial, when, in fact, it is not.

• Kotlet

Hi Ukko

@Ukko wrote:

Spoiler

Hello,

I able to think that maybe """This triggers Freedome's licence transfer and so frees up all five licences.""" not always work. And most likely -> only 'certain' licence re-used. But if your client created words/notification that all of licenses 'cleared' (or even as with "F-Secure Internet Security" required re-connection by device/installation and only after this step -> license 'in use' again) -- maybe this is valid statement.

Anyway -> good to receive official clarification about it; And anyway... required any workarounds for you about installing/use Freedome on your devices. Good if F-Secure Support do create something :)

Thanks!

Sorry, I had not noticed your spoiler text - not familiar with spoilers. I do not follow exactly what you are suggesting but I do agree that the old software seems not to 'understand' the multiple licensing and so it seems that it is unable to determine whether an unused licence, attached to a particular licence code, is actually available. It is possible that the old software does not even recognise the validity of the licence code and never gets to the stage of determining whether or not any of the associated licences is available.

Maybe F-Secure is either not able or not interested in modifying their software in such a way that a version of the software can operate with an older display and at the same time determine whether any of the licences are unused and so available.

Even if they did implement such a modification the user would still not be able to trigger the transfer of a licence unless that additional modification was also included. There is probably a good reason why F-Secure has not made such modifications. Of course, all this is speculation and based on an assumption about why the old software is failing on my installation.

• Kotlet

I have had partial success with a solution to this problem. The main problem is that legacy devices, such as an old laptop, do not support the installation of the Freedome software. The reason is that recent versions of Freedome require a minimal graphics hardware and software specification (for example, support for OpenGL2.0 or higher).

The installation of any recent version of Freedome on my legacy laptops fails with the error message "Failed to create OpenGL content . . . install a driver providing GL2.0 or higher". That message may be misleading given that Freedome requires a minimum OpenGL2.0 and those old laptops support OpenGL2.1. However, it appears that recent versions of Freedome also require DirectX10+ and pixel shaders 3+. It is not clear why Freedome, a VPN application, needs extra graphics capabilities.

After that installation failure the Freedome program is left partially installed. When that failed installation runs later (for example, after a reboot when it runs automatically) you see a message like "cannot initialise OpenGL context. Please update your video card driver. Please contact our support if updating drivers does not help." and then the program does not open.

Now, these laptops are admittedly old, verging on the geriatric, but I have never had any problem installing similar programs and have installed other VPN software with no problem. If anyone is interested, these laptops use ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 and 1150 chipsets.

The initial advice from F-Secure support was to install the most recent graphics driver. This possible solution assumes that the graphics hardware is suitable. For example, the laptop's software supports DirectX11 whereas the graphics chipset provides only DirectX9, which could be the actual reason that Freedome does not work.

A partial solution from F-Secure is to use an older version of Freedome and F-Secure provides Freedome version 1.0.2352.0 (2013-2015) for that purpose. I have already explained in this thread that installing the old Freedome was problematic. At first, that older Freedome also produced the same problem with "cannot initialise OpenGL context". That was because at that time I was intentionally using an older driver to enable one of the function key features that failed with the newer driver. I did fix that by re-installing the newer display driver version 8.561.0.0 (Dec 2008). Currently, after a further update, I am now using the ATI Catalyst 8.593.100.0 driver, dated 10th Feb 2010, although that driver appears to have made no difference to the operation of Freedome.

With the update to the 2008 display driver the old Freedome installed correctly (although the new Freedome will not) but the old version refused to recognise my Freedome licence code. As explained already the problem is that, when entering the code, there is an error message "Could not verify your code".

Despite consistently obtaining that licence fail message, two days ago I decided to try yet another install of the old Freedome. The advice from F-Secure support, when attempting to install Freedome, was to first uninstall any previous version of Freedome using their uninstall tool. That, of course, is generally good advice when doing any installation and so on the numerous attempts to install the old version I have always uninstalled the previous installation. Each time I tried the installation of Freedome version 1.0.2352.0 always worked but I always got that error message when entering the licence code. It is worth noting that the old version declares itself as a free trial although it is not. It does require you to enter a licence code.

For the most recent attempt to install the old Freedome I decided to install the newest version first and, of course, again obtained the failure message about OpenGL. Then, instead of uninstalling the installation of the new version I decided to leave that version in place and then proceeded to install the old version. I noticed during the installation of the old version that the system now referred to the process as a 'downgrade'. Also, during the installation, there was no reference to a "free trial", unlike the case with previous installations of the old Freedome. Previously, to start the installation you clicked a button 'Start Free Trial'. In this installation you click the "downgrade" button. Presumably the 'free-trial', referred to in the clean installations, had 'expired' on the basis that Freedome had detected the remains of the previous Freedome version. Actually, when you do a clean install of the old version, although the implication is that it is a 'free trial' you do not get a free trial - you are required to enter a code which results in the "Could not verify your code" message.

In this 'downgrade' installation I clearly did not take up the offer to purchase a new licence. Instead I decided to, once again, use my existing licence code - and this time it worked. So, after almost two months to the day after first attempting to install Freedome on this laptop - it worked (albeit only a partial success given that this is the old version). There was no error message about "Could not verify your code". It accepted the code from my multi-user subscription.

I still need to try this procedure with another similar laptop to confirm that this method of installing the old Freedome really does work and that there is not some other factor at work. Note that after the installation of the old version you will be continually prompted to upgrade to the most recent version. You have to change the version number in a Windows registry entry. I tried the spoof number 1.6.9999.9999 (I think that is the number that F-Secure provides) but it did not work. So I then used the number of the most recent version (1.20.3671.0) and that worked (until there is a new version released).

• Kotlet

I have had partial success with a solution to this problem. The main problem is that legacy devices, such as an old laptop, do not support the installation of the Freedome software. The reason is that recent versions of Freedome require a minimal graphics hardware and software specification (for example, support for OpenGL2.0 or higher).

The installation of any recent version of Freedome on my legacy laptops fails with the error message "Failed to create OpenGL content . . . install a driver providing GL2.0 or higher". That message may be misleading given that Freedome requires a minimum OpenGL2.0 and those old laptops support OpenGL2.1. However, it appears that recent versions of Freedome also require DirectX10+ and pixel shaders 3+. It is not clear why Freedome, a VPN application, needs extra graphics capabilities.

After that installation failure the Freedome program is left partially installed. When that failed installation runs later (for example, after a reboot when it runs automatically) you see a message like "cannot initialise OpenGL context. Please update your video card driver. Please contact our support if updating drivers does not help." and then the program does not open.

Now, these laptops are admittedly old, verging on the geriatric, but I have never had any problem installing similar programs and have installed other VPN software with no problem. If anyone is interested, these laptops use ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 and 1150 chipsets.

The initial advice from F-Secure support was to install the most recent graphics driver. This possible solution assumes that the graphics hardware is suitable. For example, the laptop's software supports DirectX11 whereas the graphics chipset provides only DirectX9, which could be the actual reason that Freedome does not work.

A partial solution from F-Secure is to use an older version of Freedome and F-Secure provides Freedome version 1.0.2352.0 (2013-2015) for that purpose. I have already explained in this thread that installing the old Freedome was problematic. At first, that older Freedome also produced the same problem with "cannot initialise OpenGL context". That was because at that time I was intentionally using an older driver to enable one of the function key features that failed with the newer driver. I did fix that by re-installing the newer display driver version 8.561.0.0 (Dec 2008). Currently, after a further update, I am now using the ATI Catalyst 8.593.100.0 driver, dated 10th Feb 2010, although that driver appears to have made no difference to the operation of Freedome.

With the update to the 2008 display driver the old Freedome installed correctly (although the new Freedome will not) but the old version refused to recognise my Freedome licence code. As explained already the problem is that, when entering the code, there is an error message "Could not verify your code".

Despite consistently obtaining that licence fail message, two days ago I decided to try yet another install of the old Freedome. The advice from F-Secure support, when attempting to install Freedome, was to first uninstall any previous version of Freedome using their uninstall tool. That, of course, is generally good advice when doing any installation and so on the numerous attempts to install the old version I have always uninstalled the previous installation. Each time I tried the installation of Freedome version 1.0.2352.0 always worked but I always got that error message when entering the licence code. It is worth noting that the old version declares itself as a free trial although it is not. It does require you to enter a licence code.

For the most recent attempt to install the old Freedome I decided to install the newest version first and, of course, again obtained the failure message about OpenGL. Then, instead of uninstalling the installation of the new version I decided to leave that version in place and then proceeded to install the old version. I noticed during the installation of the old version that the system now referred to the process as a 'downgrade'. Also, during the installation, there was no reference to a "free trial", unlike the case with previous installations of the old Freedome. Previously, to start the installation you clicked a button 'Start Free Trial'. In this installation you click the "downgrade" button. Presumably the 'free-trial', referred to in the clean installations, had 'expired' on the basis that Freedome had detected the remains of the previous Freedome version. Actually, when you do a clean install of the old version, although the implication is that it is a 'free trial' you do not get a free trial - you are required to enter a code which results in the "Could not verify your code" message.

In this 'downgrade' installation I did not take up the offer to purchase a new licence. Instead I decided to, once again, use my existing licence code - and this time it worked. So, almost two months to the day after first attempting to install Freedome on this laptop - it worked (albeit only a partial success given that this is the old version). There was no error message about "Could not verify your code". It accepted the code from my multi-user subscription.

I still need to try this procedure with another similar laptop to confirm that this method of installing the old Freedome really does work and that there is not some other factor at work. Note that after the installation of the old version you will be continually prompted to upgrade to the most recent version. You have to change the version number in a Windows registry entry. I tried the spoof number 1.6.9999.9999 (I think that is the number that F-Secure provides) but it did not work. So I then used the number of the most recent version (1.20.3671.0) and that worked (until there is a new version released).

• Ukko

Hello,

Good story!

About 'update'-prompt and registry-editing;

I suggested 'try as "1" or "2" numbers for build' with this topic:

https://community.f-secure.com/t5/F-Secure/Can-t-run-Freedome-because-of/m-p/97082/highlight/true#M8825

And probably it should works (at least, more time than next 'fresh' release).

Maybe installing 'oudated' build over the 'current' build -> will fix situation by some of certain registry-items (which saved with this action AS 'current/updated'-view); Or even some other part of files. But it will be strange! :)

Thanks!

• Kotlet

Hi Ukko, Thanks for your reply and the reminder about the correct registry fix for the version number. I will try that out as soon as possible. I remember now something about that but had completely forgotten.

I reported my findings (about this possible fix i.e. to install the old version as a 'downgrade') to the support team last week. I also explained that I am puzzled about "why the newer versions of Freedome require a higher specification graphics" and that "this work-around [using the old version] should not be necessary and so I am sure that your programming team will find an alternative solution, preferably by implementing a solution that will work with new and older graphics chipsets and also allows the transfer of licences between devices."

Their reply said "We will release a new version of Freedome perhaps by the end of the month and hopefully this version will be able to render even with old graphic cards but at the moment we can not confirm or discard this option".

So that is good news - no need to use the old version and also should fix the problem with the transfer of licences, that is not supported by the old version.

I have tried the installation of the old Freedome on another laptop and at first it failed (as previous) when entering the licence code - but over the weekend got that second laptop to work. The source of the problem seems to be the "free trial". As you will know, the old version is a 'free trial' and so when starting the installation you click on "Start Free Trial". However, when the installation is complete you are not offered a free trial and so you have to enter your licence code - and then receive the error message "Could not verify your code". It seems that the system is expecting another type of code, as you have suggested in your posts. By leaving a previous installation of Freedome in place, when you then install the old 'free trial' version, the existing installation is detected and so there is no Start Free Trial to click because the presence of a previous version presumably indicates that you are not entitled to a free trial. It seems that the system is now expecting a paid for licence code and so now accepts my multi-licence code. It even detects if there are any unused licences on my multi-user account and, if not, prompts that all the licences are in use. It, of course, does not offer to transfer licences.

• Laksh

Appreciate the solution sharing, Kotlet! And it's good to know that your issue is resolved.

Kudos to Ukko as well for all the advise!

This discussion has been closed.
Product & Pricing Info