Multiple Windows users - FS Protection login not accepted on others but the main user

Options

I have multiple user accounts on my Windows 11 computer. I have fs protection acting normally on my "main" Windows user account.

However, when I log in as another Windows user, fs protection requests for login. When I enter correct credentials, a panel "Who should this device be set up for?" is shown. Option "My device [MyName]" is greyed out, and only available option is "My child's device".

I do not want to set up another device, but have fs protection be logged in also on this other Windows user account. How to achieve this?

I have a recorded video of this issue, but it is rather large (28,4 MB). I suspect it is too large to upload here as an attachment. It will also display my login e-mail, so I would rather send it to you some other, non-public way.

Tagged:

Accepted Answer

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,702 Community Manager
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @Toweri

Thank you for your post.

We've received similar reports in the past, however, we've fixed the issue on our end and most affected users have reported that it's been resolved.

However, to be sure, please uninstall and reinstall the app on your PC. This will ensure that there are no residual files that could be causing the issue.

Please let us know the outcome afterwards. We're here to help if you need anything else.

Thanks, and have a great day.

Answers

• Toweri
    Toweri Posts: 20 Enthusiast
    edited November 2023
    Options

I have similar issue on my Mac (macOS Monterey 12.7.1) where I re-installed the application as per your reply above. I run the installation on my "normal" user account and everything set up successfully. I then logged in to another (admin) account on that same Mac. There I was again requested to log in on FS Protection UI.

When I entered my credentials, I got message stating "You do not have any licenses available to install FS Protection." and a button "Release license".

I have my five licenses currently in use on my main Windows 11 computer, my Android phone, my daughters Mac, and this Mac in question now, on both macOS as well as Windows 11 (Boot Camp.)

I verified that this works fine now with other users on my main Windows 11 computer.

Attached please find 'fsdiag' file from the Mac in question.

Edit: PII removed

• Toweri
    Options

Additional info: The issue still remains on this Mac running Win11 (via Boot Camp) with other user accounts.

I have just re-installed the application.

How can it work differently on two computers running same versions of Windows 11 ?

• Firmy
    Options

Hello @Toweri

Thank you for your comment.

Please avoid sharing the FSDIAG publicly in this forum. If we ever need it from you, we'll shoot you a private message. Let's keep things safe and sound for everyone by checking out our community guidelines: https://community.f-secure.com/en/discussion/122422/f-secure-community-user-guidelines#latest

After checking at my end, it seems you've got the app on 5 devices, and that's why you're out of available licenses. You can hop into your account, release any unused licenses, and free them up.

Oh, and remember, each device just needs 1 license. If you're activating the subscription on other user accounts, make sure to log in with those sub-user accounts. Get all the details you need right here: https://community.f-secure.com/en/discussion/127329/one-device-one-license#latest

If you have any more questions, feel free to reach out. Thanks a bunch, and have a great day.

• Toweri
    Options

Ah, so if I understand correctly what is said in the discusson you linked, it will not be necessary for other users to login in the FS Protection UI - as long as they do not require the "personal" functions, such as Password Vault, ID Monitoring and Privacy VPN. Right?

When those functions are not needed, leaving the application not logged in on the other user accounts, will keep the "non-personal" functionality, i.e. Antivirus, Browsing/Banking protection, VPN still functional. Correct?

In this scenario the "one device - one license" would be fulfilled.

A question: There is a "sub-user account" mentioned, perhaps as an alternative to a child-account.

One of the "other users" on these computers is my wife. I wouldn't like to use a child-account for her, because that potentially subjects her to my "supervision". In terms of privacy, that is not optimal. (I do not wish to even be able 'spy' on my wife...)

So if I could specify her as a "sub-user account", so that her privacy is guaranteed, that might be one solution. But I haven't seen a choice for "sub-account". Is this a thing, or is it just a reference to a child account?

• Firmy
    Options

Hello @Toweri

Thank you for your reply.

When those functions are not needed, leaving the application not logged in on the other user accounts, will keep the "non-personal" functionality, i.e. Antivirus, Browsing/Banking protection, VPN still functional. Correct?

Yes, you are correct.

So if I could specify her as a "sub-user account", so that her privacy is guaranteed, that might be one solution. But I haven't seen a choice for "sub-account". Is this a thing, or is it just a reference to a child account?

It's important to note that a sub-user is different from a child's profile. To invite your wife as a sub-user, please follow the instructions provided in this link: Sharing protection with a family member or friend | Total | Latest | F-Secure User Guides

Should you have any further inquiries or require additional assistance, feel free to let us know.

Wishing you a great day ahead. Thank you.