New F-Secure blocking "good" websites

Re: New F-Secure blocking "good" websites

Hey,

That behaviour sounds like a severe bug to me. I'm pretty sure things should work out of the box if family settings is not taken into use. It's only a mechanism for optionally restricting network access, it not being in use should only block malicious content and such. I hope you contacted customer support instead of just writing on the forum. Your problem sounds either like FS misclassifying content or something really wrong in defaults.

Highlighted
F-Secure Product Manager

Hi,

Everyone who has this problem, did you have the Content blocker enabled before the upgrade? We would like to know if this happens only in a specific scenario or if there is still something else that causes this.

-Cale

Aspirant

I dont know whether the content blocker was or was not enabled prior to your upgrade. I know that since the upgrade to family rules ( which I didnt want anyway) Istill have "browser is not installed or is turned off" on the Fsecure front security page & I cannot understand why this is. It has also only happened since Fsecure changed the area to family rules. My husband was upgraded to family rules last night & now he has the same message in orange on his security front page! What is happening here. I have uninstalled google chrome. Uninstalled Fsecure, reinstalled fsecure & reinstalled google chrome as suggested by Mohd Nuzla Zulkapeli technical support engineer for Fsecure but it hasnt altered this problem. This is taking up so much time trying to resolve what appears to be Fsecure's problem.

Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my ask.

Do you talk about Main F-Secure UI with status about Browsing Protection extension?

If yes (and it partly about another trouble than topic's trouble ?!) -> do you able to re-check:

--> Internet Explorer and Google Chrome about installed extensions/addons;

You able to enable F-Secure Browsing Protection extension (if it disabled under installed browsers) and after some time.. UI can be with proper status;

If you do not want use "Browsing Protection"-extension -- maybe there can be another suggestions (but generally -> they do not related with Family Rules - if this is main reason);

Thanks.

F-Secure Product Manager

You are most likely talking about "Browser extension is not installed or not turned on". The warning is displayed when the extension is not turned on (or installed) on your default browser.

1. If you use Chrome, make sure that it is your default browser.

> Changing this depends on the Windows version you have.

2. If Chrome is default browser, check that the extension is enabled:

> Click the three dots at top right corner > More tools > Extensions > Browsing protection > Enabled

Aspirant

browser extensions are enabled but still have this message in my fsecure. I did also originally have good web sites being blocked. I seem to have put that right. Time will tell. 

F-Secure Product Manager

We were able to reproduce the extension status problem in-house and we are looking into it. I'm sorry for the trouble this has caused you.

-Cale

Aspirant

Thank you so much I was beginning to think I had done something wrong when I havent. Then when my husband updated Fsecure & was asked if he wanted to accept family rules he clicked on later & immediately he got the "browser extensions not installed or tuned off" I realised it had got to be something to do with the update. Does make you wonder whether this update was tested enough before releasing it to your Fsecure customers. I have wasted such a lot of time on this. Do you think Fsecure will do an update in order to correct the problems that this update has caused."

F-Secure Product Manager

This was a major release that had more changes under the hood than in many year. Few issues have slipped through, but we are working on fixing them and we'll release an update to the product as soon as possible.

Aspirant

I would just like to register I also have a problem with the FSECURE ever since the update and any shopping web-site is blocked and I have to over-ride by clicking allow app but when doing this with Amazon I get the screen as described by other users and cannot use the web site