Freedome blocking video content

DEcosse
DEcosse Posts: 2 New Member

I'm currently in the trial period of Freedome 

One problem that is preventing me committing is that it seems to block video content, from common sites like CNN or some newspapers I view 

(pick any CNN video as example) - with CNN, it just remains unstarted - you can pause, unpause but nothing happens 

With an article from a newspaper I view for example 

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ian-cathro-leaves-hearts-before-10909335

(same for any video from that source) 

It times out loading the video with message that says 

The media could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported.

Session ID: 2017-08-01:7699d8ee9061ca9f50fbe98f Player ID: vjs_video_1

It makes no difference which Location I choose, or which Browser I use; 

if I turn off Freedome VPN connection videos load correctly; 

I also tried turning off  Browsing Protection and Tracking Protection switches and found that it is the Browsing Protection that is preventing them;

If I turn off "Browsing Protection" then videos load normally 

What is blocking these from loading and how can I 'whitelist' sources without having to block or allow everything? 

Comments

• DEcosse
    DEcosse Posts: 2 New Member
    Edit - even with browsing protection disabled, some videos from that newspaper site STILL don't load
  • Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Spoiler

I tried with two of my systems:

--> With one system - website did not play videocontent (with F-Secure SAFE installed);

--> Another system with normal loading videocontent with F-Secure SAFE installed and with F-Secure Freedome;
    // Later added string (re-check it after reply from F-Secure Team/Staff) --> Freedome with Tracking Protection trigger "trouble" for playing videcontent indeed; //

Do you able to re-check your experience about different browsers? What if there some system's or browser's tweaks?

But maybe dailrecord.co.uk loaded video-content from different their cdns... and some of them marked as harmful-website (?!) by F-Secure Security Cloud. I did not find such domain (but maybe I re-check later) and your experience about disabled "browsing protection" maybe means that... there something else;

Sorry for my reply -> just as temporary suggestion (while there not comes official response from F-Secure Teams);

Thanks.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi DEcosse,

The video played when I disabled Tracking Protection in Freedome in my Android. This article explains more about this scenario. Could you just try to turn off Tracking Protection in Freedome and retry again?

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

@Laksh wrote:

Hi DEcosse,

The video played when I disabled Tracking Protection in Freedome in my Android. This article explains more about this scenario. Could you just try to turn off Tracking Protection in Freedome and retry again?

Sorry for my feedback.

I re-check with my system and with enabled Tracking Protection under Freedome -> there will be such trouble (as described under topic); When Tracking Protection is disabled -> all normal; Maybe it will be valid for DEcosse's experience too;

What is blocking these from loading and how can I 'whitelist' sources without having to block or allow everything? 

What is blocked by Tracking Protection (or part of this) possible to check by using "Tracker Mapper"-feature (should be visible as "Tab" under Freedome UI);

And then there can be some meanings:

--> if listed domains/trackers wrongly there - possible to use F-Secure SAS for re-rate:

https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/labs_global/submit-a-sample#sample-url

--> if listed domains/trackers are expected under such list... maybe this works as designed;

and probably option can be only as "temporary disable tracking protection during certain website with troubleresult";

With my own experience -> under dailyrecord.co.uk --> Freedome place some domains (three/four, at least) with multiple tracking attempts (or so); Most likely with expected-meanings.

It was only my own suggestion (I also only F-Secure user); Good if there will be clarification by official words;

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Product & Pricing Info