Freedome error after installing Windows 10

Hi,

I made a fresh install of Windows 10 and after that I have a problem with F-Secure Freedome. It's almost as if only the interface for Freedome is installed but nothing else. The installation completes without errors but when I press "On" in Freedome I get an error message stating that something went wrong. 

When checking under device manager and under network adapters in the control panel I do not have the "FreedomeVPNConnection".

I have tried to reinstall Freedome several times but always end up with the same result. I have also redownloaded the installation file to make sure that it's not a problem with it.

I have checked the event viewer in Windows but cannot find any errors (or warnings) related to Freedome.

I have tried to install Freedome in compatibility mode for older Windows versions as well as a an administrator but the result is always the same. 

Also I seem to have a problem using my activation code for Freedome.

Please assist!

Regards,

Kleli

Comments

• Laksh
    Laksh Posts: 4,224 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi Kleli,

My apologies for the delayed reply in this case. However, regarding this issue, I will message you via PM for further discussion.

• minimis
    minimis Posts: 2 New Member

Hi, I have exactly the same problem. Windows 10, reinstalls, everything. I have a one-year subscription. Help, anyone?

• Laksh

Hi minimis,

I will send you a PM for further discussion on this issue.

• NeoXXXX
    NeoXXXX Posts: 2 New Member

Any Solution provided?

• minimis
    minimis Posts: 2 New Member

No, they just asked for the logs. Let's hope they find a solution.

• Laksh

Hello Everyone,

We have inspected several cases where Freedome has been unable to make VPN connections after Windows 10 upgrades. The symptom has been an error message saying only "Something went wrong. We're sorry." when Freedome has tried to make a new VPN connection. The problem has appeared right after the operating system has been upgraded to Windows 10. We are aware of at least one case where the problem was fixed after Windows 10 was reinstalled on the computer.

Based on our inspections it seems that the operating system has been in a similarly problematic state in each of these cases. While we haven't been able to reproduce this situation in our test environment, our best estimate is that something has gone wrong in the Windows 10 upgrade and has caused these problems.

From the error messages in the Windows log files it is apparent that also other applications have various technical problems on these affected computers. These error messages can be seen using Windows Event Viewer. You can open Windows Event Viewer by clicking the search icon on Windows 10 Task Bar and typing "Event Viewer" there. The logs reside under the "Windows Logs" entry.

We currently recommend to reinstall Windows 10 on the affected computer. However, we are still inspecting if there would be any alternative ways to get Freedome to work in this kind of situations.

• MASTERKAIZER
    MASTERKAIZER Posts: 4 New Member

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM CANNOT LUNCH THE APP

@Laksh wrote:

Hello Everyone,

We have inspected several cases where Freedome has been unable to make VPN connections after Windows 10 upgrades. The symptom has been an error message saying only "Something went wrong. We're sorry." when Freedome has tried to make a new VPN connection. The problem has appeared right after the operating system has been upgraded to Windows 10. We are aware of at least one case where the problem was fixed after Windows 10 was reinstalled on the computer.

Based on our inspections it seems that the operating system has been in a similarly problematic state in each of these cases. While we haven't been able to reproduce this situation in our test environment, our best estimate is that something has gone wrong in the Windows 10 upgrade and has caused these problems.

From the error messages in the Windows log files it is apparent that also other applications have various technical problems on these affected computers. These error messages can be seen using Windows Event Viewer. You can open Windows Event Viewer by clicking the search icon on Windows 10 Task Bar and typing "Event Viewer" there. The logs reside under the "Windows Logs" entry.

We currently recommend to reinstall Windows 10 on the affected computer. However, we are still inspecting if there would be any alternative ways to get Freedome to work in this kind of situations.

• Laksh

Hi MASTERKAIZER,

Is there any specific error message you see when opening Freedome? Are you using the latest version of Freedome?

• Pukkanen
    Pukkanen Posts: 1 New Member

Freedome seems to have trust related issues with Windows 10 builds. Event logs are full of integrity errors when Freedome is trying to create virtual TAP network adapter. When failing, TAP adapter is showing error in Device Manager and error says that driver is not trusted.

I don't know why, but Windows 10 trust Freedome TAP drivers right after install or upgrading. After a while and couple of reboots later errors starts to generate and Freedome stops working. If F-Secure support team is using VM's or other fast generated machines to test these you just can't re-produce this problem. That's why some of these topics also says that re-installing Windows helped.

I was able to fix IPv6, something went wrong, etc. errors in Windows 10 by disabling driver signature feature in reboot. However this is not workaround for everyone, it's hard and you have to do it often. If W10 also have Bitlocker enabled it makes this workaround even harder.

• MASTERKAIZER
    MASTERKAIZER Posts: 4 New Member

no nobady helped me with it and my problem is still not  solves

• Laksh

Hi @MASTERKAIZER,

As mentioned in my previous post, kindly provide us the following information so we can help you further.

Is there any specific error message you see when opening Freedome? Are you using the latest version of Freedome?

• PR-fi
    PR-fi Posts: 4 Observer

I have exactly the same probem. Freedome doesn't work at all, because TAP-driver "is not digitally signed" and Windows is refusing to start TAP device. Using Windows 10 Insider Preview fast ring -versions.

It worked a couple of times even after installing new Windows 10 Insider Preview build but not anymore. I have tried uninstall-reinstall cycles for Freedome and even manually deleteting TAP-driver related files (oemvista.*, fsfreedome*.*, oemYY.*) from %windir%\system32\drivers but still no go.

This could of course be related to some Windows bug or changed behaviour, but AFAIK Windows version in Insider Fast rign is nearly finished "Windows 10 Anniversary Update".

If this is related to some older/damaged driver files/registry settings (or some other woodoo like that) Freedome installer should resolve those issues automatically after reinstalling Freedome.

Funny thing is that after removing driver files and installing "TAP" device as "add old device" method and pointing Windows to get correct driver files from %programfiles(x86)%\F-Secure\Freedome\[...] Windows correctly shows that driver has correct authenticode signature.

I have log files from "F-Secure Support tool", if you are interested? I am using the latest version of Freedome.

Edit: some typos

• PR-fi

I have some more information. I was able to reproduce at least one condition when this happens. 

Last night I got new Windows 10 Insider Preview build and installed it successfully. After that Freedome suddenly started working. Reboot and it still works and TAP driver doesn't complain about missing signature.

But after runnig "Disk cleanup" and removing older Windows build from HDD with that tool (aka. Windows.old folder) and rebooting, Windows started again complaining about TAP driver missing signature and Freedome stopped working.

So... what? Smiley Very Happy

I'm kind of lost here. Why did it started working after installing newer Windows build and why did removing older Windows installation break TAP driver signature? Is there some strange reference to Windows.old directory somewhere?

• Laksh

Hi PR-fi,

As per the supported versions of Freedome, Windows 10 Insider Preview version is not an officially supported platform. However, if you do find the issue occurring in the Windows 10 supported platform, please do let us know.

• Laksh

Hi @Pukkanen @MASTERKAIZER @PR-fi,

If you are still having the 'unsigned driver' issue with Freedome, please open a support ticket with our team along with the Freedome logs. We might need further investigation about the error seen.

• PR-fi

@Laksh wrote:

Hi @Pukkanen @MASTERKAIZER @PR-fi,

If you are still having the 'unsigned driver' issue with Freedome, please open a support ticket with our team along with the Freedome logs. We might need further investigation about the error seen.

Support ticket openend. Maybe those help files will reveal something useful. :)

• Laksh

I appreciate your update, @PR-fi. I have brought your support request to our product team's attention. Please follow up on the case for further communication.

This discussion has been closed.
Product & Pricing Info