Bug reports: MacOS desktop app starts by itself + 1 more bug

Options
odc
odc Posts: 4 Explorer
edited December 2023 in F-Secure ID Protection

On MacOS Ventura, the ID PROTECTION desktop app randomly starts by itself a few minutes after closing the app.

• Bug: After initially closing ID PROTECTION macOS desktop app, the application starts itself in a few minutes.
  • Expected behaviour: I can manually pick when I want to launch the app, and it does not launch at other times. When I close the app, it stays closed until I command otherwise.
  • The launch seems to be triggered by a key press. However, there is no repeating pattern on which key triggers the launch. It just seems that few minutes after I've closed the app, when I start typing something, the app launches. I am not accidentally hitting a hotkey or clicking on something. This naturally leads to the question of why is the application listening to my keyboard when it's supposed to be closed?
  • Bug #2: The "currently open and recently opened applications"-area in the MacOS dock shows two ID PROTECTION icons instead of one. Both icons launch ID PROTECTION. I have removed the icons multiple times to make sure one of them is not the installer I launched. Also, I have not installed ID PROTECTION twice. Expected behaviour is to show only one ID PROTECTION icon in the "currently open and recently opened applications"-area.
  • I am on MacOS Ventura, but the problem has persisted for as long as I have had the desktop app. Not sure if this means pre-Ventura or not.
  • I have all "launch on startup" and other similar options disabled. Also, this has nothing to do with starting up the computer.

I could not find a bug reporting form or any other info regarding bug reporting from anywhere, so I am posting on this forum. Both bugs are irritating and make me want to cancel my subscription. I hope they get resolved as soon as possible.

Tagged:

Accepted Answer

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,640 Community Manager
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @odc

Thank you for your reply.

To help us investigate and better understand the matter, I kindly recommend generating an FSDIAG report for us. This report will provide valuable information for our analysis.

To generate the FSDIAG, please follow the instructions provided in this link. It will guide you through the process step by step.

I have also sent you a private message where you can send the generated file to me. Please feel free to attach the file to the message.

We appreciate your cooperation, and we look forward to your next reply.

Thank you, and have a great day.

Answers

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,640 Community Manager
    Options

Hello @odc

Welcome to the F-Secure Community. Thank you for your post.

And thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.

To assist you further, could you kindly provide us with the version of F-Secure ID Protection running on your Mac? Additionally, have there been any recent updates to your Mac or have you updated to the latest version of macOS?

In regards to the additional bug you mentioned, we kindly ask you to provide more specific details or steps to reproduce the issue, as it will help us investigate and address it more effectively.

Furthermore, please let us know if you have attempted any troubleshooting steps prior to encountering the issue, such as uninstalling and reinstalling the app.

Rest assured, we will conduct a thorough investigation to delve deeper into the issue and keep you informed with any updates.

Thank you for your cooperation, and have a great day!

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,619 Superuser
    Options

Hello,

Sorry for the discussion. And I am not experienced user with Mac platform at all.

But ban it be that first bug is a logical effect of 'lock'-action?

I mean, when you closing the app - did you mean 'closing' like a window or similar step? While it is still 'unlocked' and entries accessible without need to type a Masterpassword?

If so, maybe 'autolock' is configured to a certain time and the app locks itself then. As a side-effect - app is visible as starts by itself.

Online Help for Mac solution: Unlocking and locking the app | ID PROTECTION | Latest | F-Secure User Guides

By default, the app locks itself automatically after five minutes. In the settings, you can set the time after which the app locks itself. The time intervals are 5 minutes, 15 minutes, 30 minutes, 60 minutes, 10 hours, and one week.

Perhaps, it is still not the very 'expected' behavior - but after I read your description, I think it can be an explanation of situation.

• odc
    Options

Hi @Firmy and @Ukko. Thank you for the quick response.

I am using ID PROTECTION version 4.200.577 for macOS. No new or recent macOS updates that are somehow connected to this issue that I can tell of.

I am trying to replicate the behaviour consistently and will report back when I figure out what's going on.

• odc
    Options

Hi again @Firmy and @Ukko.

I have done a bit of testing at it is definitely the case that sometimes when I press Cmd+Q to quit the app, it pops back up after a while. It does not repeat every time, so it's hard to give any other guidelines on how to reproduce it, but it's definitely there and I am not just forgetting the application into the background (to have it auto-lock and pop up after X minutes) or anything along those lines.

I am still suspecting that the re-launch of the application is initiated by a key press, or then I just happen to press some key exactly when the re-launch happens.

I have also noticed some quirks on how the keyboard functions when the app is open. Sometimes when I start to add a new item to the vault, and start typing in to the fields, the app suddenly changes view. It's almost like I would be using some hotkey to do it, which I am not.

• odc
    Options

"I am still suspecting that the re-launch of the application is initiated by a key press, or then I just happen to press some key exactly when the re-launch happens."

I have to add that I am not 100% on this, so it might be false info.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info