FS Protection PC 19.1 releases

Ivan_Osipov
Ivan_Osipov Posts: 77 Former F-Secure Employee
edited February 2023 in Home Security Beta Programs

FS Protection PC 19.1 releases will be posted under this thread.

Tagged:

Answers

• Ivan_Osipov

Release 19.1 Beta 1 (TOTAL 5.2.346):

Please note that some strings are not localized yet.

New features:

• VPN Settings: Applications bypassing VPN (PBL-9946)
    • Locations info at the VPN subview (PBL-10636)
    • Scheduled scan: Run task as soon as possible if missed (PBL-10465)
    • Change location of "Turn off all protection" button (PBL-10370). It has been moved to the Settings dialog.
    • Vault Master Password feedback texts rewritten (KID-954)
    • Empty Vault now shows add & import actions (KID-420)
    • Vault search related improvements: clearing search, magnifying glass icon persistence, empty search results visualization (KID-329, KID-331, KID-1577)

Removed features:

• Windows 7 support. Installation and updates are blocked on Windows 7 (PBL-10152)
    • Proxy configuration in Settings. Product now automatically uses Windows proxy if it is set up. (PBL-10475)

Fixed issues:

• Closing the window during onboarding process leads to confusing state. (PBL-10783)
    • Scanning with fsscan.exe fails with "No entitlement" error (PBL-10800)
    • Vault password viewer now shows emojis correctly (KID-1597)
    • Vault feature card now updates correctly if Vault is synced in onboarding flow (KID-1581)

• BeachHut
    BeachHut Posts: 1 Observer

Huomenta (or Hello),

When is the version 19.1 likely to be released? It's already February 20 and my Software Update Monitor tells me that there is an updated version of F-Secure OneClient available (new version is 7.26.11.0).

How is the update to be released? Manually polling via Settings/Updates is rather unreliable.

• Ivan_Osipov
    edited March 2023

Hello BeachHut,

Could you please specify the platform you are using? For PC, the latest version number is 5.2.346 in Beta.

The update check (and installation) usually happens automatically every 1-2 hours. Or you can trigger it in Settings, if you don't want to wait.

Have a great day!

• Lord_Ami
    Lord_Ami Posts: 70 Active Engager
    edited February 2023

Is the next beta going to change the taskbar icon too?

Or it's going to stay as it is because it's beta? :)

Left is stable version's icon, right one is beta's:

Beta is not using F-Secure brand. There will be no change for fs protection icon.

F-Secure R&D, Desktop products

• yeoldfart
    yeoldfart Posts: 556 Superuser

Seems my insider licenses have expired what did nhappen ? where can I get help ? Please pm the answer if you have disclosure worries

• Ivan_Osipov
  • Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Scheduled scan: Run task as soon as possible if missed (PBL-10465)

I have some unclear results with this nice feature.

Is there any complicated logic about?

I mean, originally my set up was "Every four weeks" (a certain day / time). When first time scheduled scan missed (system was OFF) -> it is re-scheduled to the next week (so, right the next week). Second time (system was OFF / I managed to shut down laptop before the time of scheduled scan point) -> it is re-sechuled to the next week again.

Then, I decided to check with other options. The first one was "Daily". Also managed to miss scheduled scan point by turning system off before. With the very next launch (~some hours after, maybe no more than six or eight) - scheduled scan is triggered. So, really like "as soon as possible". Missed -> next system launch. I skipped the actual scanning then (if important).

Then, I decided to check with "Each week". Missed scan date is re-scheduled to the next launch system (as with "Daily"). Thus, also "as soon as possible". Missed -> next system boot - scheduled scan is triggered. Also skipped it.

Then, I tried to check back with "Every four weeks" and got another experience (compared to original). Missed scheduled scan is re-scheduled to 'four weeks later'. So, not "the next week" as before, but the next "after four weeks". Probably, it was 06.03.2023, so switched now to 03.04.2023

This result is different with my original (when 'virtual' 06.03.2023 would be switched to 13.03.2023 as example) and other options (when 'virtual' 06.03.2023 miss ->> next system launch; like 'as soon as possible').

Is this matched to feature's expectations? Like if some else things will affect re-scheduled point. Weekday/weekend... system resources.. or something.

Thanks!

• JustinW
    JustinW Posts: 4 F-Secure Employee

Password Manager browser extension beta release 5.0.189

Fixed issues:

• Fixed an issue where messaging from the extension caused the desktop app to randomly pop up when browsing the web.
  • Ivan_Osipov

Hi,

I agree that this feature is not described obviously. The first point is that "if missed" means only "if the PC was off", it does not work if user has dismissed the scheduled scan on the flyer or if there was an gaming session ongoing.

Since this feature uses Windows Scheduler settings I can't say for sure what does "as soon as possible" mean. A quick googling says that it should be equal to about 10 minutes, and this is how it worked when I have tested it. So, this does sound similar to how it should work.

Re-scheduling to the next week does not sound correctly. Please feel free to create a Centercode ticket.

Best Wishes!

• Ivan_Osipov

Release 19.1 beta 2 (5.2.597):

New features:

• Priority of the smart tasks has changed a bit (PBL-10660)
    • Banking Protection: "Disconnect in-memory modified processes" will protect against insertion of malicious threads into legitimate processes, disconnecting such processes when banking session starts (PBL-4437)
    • Added initials as new symbol (icon) type for Vault entries. (KID-1479)
    • Vault entries imported from other products now default to "initials" icon type. (KID-1612)

Fixed issues:

• Clicking the VPN bypass button/link text does not refocus upon an open vpn bypass window (PBL-9946)
    • VPN subview left alignment wrong (PBL-10836)
    • Fixed Vault entry's password history clearing. (KID-1604)
    • Vault error texts improved related to connecting devices. (KID-222)
    • Fixed Vault settings import area layout for languages with long text. (KID-1608)
    • Fixed Vault autolock settings info box layout for languages with long text. (KID-1609)

• JulienFritsch
    JulienFritsch Posts: 10 Observer

Hi,

It looks like I just got the 19.1 beta 2 today.

And since then, I have had it. I am in a loop:

1. The first screen - I need to log in - OK, it's working
    2. one screen asks me to free a license since there are not any available
    3. a button invites me to see the list of devices to free one
    4. I do, and it then goes to a white screen
    5. back to the first one, saying no license is available
    6. I go again to the device list and see my current device added.

If I do this 3 times, I'll see my device name 3 times. But I can never free and use a license. I'm 100% stuck.

And that's the case on 2 laptops.

• Ktteri
    Ktteri Posts: 3 Observer

Hi. I have a beta account, I was logged out (idk why), and it seems that my lisences have died, too. The subscribtion should have been active for 3 more years. Please, help!

• Ktteri
    Ktteri Posts: 3 Observer
  • Lord_Ami
    Lord_Ami Posts: 70 Active Engager

I too encountered random logout on one of my PCs. Strange..

• JulienFritsch

Hi,

Yes, now it's working fine. Thank you very much, Ville.

Regards.

Julien Fritsch

• JulienFritsch

In fact, it has been working on one of the two laptops I'm using.

For the failing one, it's the same experience as I described yesterday.

• JulienFritsch

Hi again,

Now, it's working on both.

• Candi1
    Candi1 Posts: 58 Active Engager

I had a little trouble trying to login after the update. But it seems to be working ok now. I am able to login fine now. This is the first time I've had to "login" after an update. It seemed a little strange. And then when I couldn't login, I was a little worried. But I am able to login in now & everything seems to be working good.

I feel I haven't contributed much lately. But its only because everything has been working good for me. I haven't had any problems. Until trying to login after this last update. But that is working again now.

Thank you!!!

• likeastar20
    likeastar20 Posts: 1 Observer

Beta expired for me. Submitted a bug report but received no response?

• Candi1

Again I tried logging into the community here & I wasn't able to login using my usual email address & password. This time I had to use the "forgot password" link to change my password, so I could login.

A few weeks ago I had a problem logging in. But after a little bit I was then able to login. But this time, after a little bit, I still couldn't login. So I had to reset my password in order to be able to login.

This was just for the community here. The FS Protection portal is fine.

• fs-seppo
    fs-seppo Posts: 22 F-Secure Employee

Release 19.1 beta 3 (5.2.1057):

New features:

• Account menu has been updated. It now contains information about the license inside the menu and link to manage account. Main view no longer has the subscription validity.
    • Subscription page has been updated. It now only contains a button to renew subscription (as manage account was moved to menu).
    • Subscription expiring and expired smart tasks texts have been updated.
    • Scheduled scanning waits for gaming mode to end before starting. If gaming mode activates during scheduled scan, it is paused and resumed once gaming mode ends.
    • VPN usage and blocking statistics are now shown in VPN sub-view
    • VPN notifications are shown (e.g. VPN is on, but UI application is closing; VPN is configured to connect automatically on startup and an user logs in; VPN connection fails due to an error)
    • Show and hide functionality to Vault's notes field when viewing entry (KID-1566)
    • Copying improvements to Vault entry viewer fields. (KID-1169)
    • Smart tasks for new & existing user Vault onboarding. (KID-1558, KID-1559)

Fixed issues:

• Fixes to focus issues with VPN bypass window
    • Fixed issue long localization not fitting in VPN tools button in VPN sub-view (SAFE_BUG-03863)

Seppo

• Ukko

Hello,

Can I ask about content filtering / categorizing. And F-Secure security cloud knowledge or other source of decision?

Or, maybe, there are some tweaks about how it works or more complicated decisions?

Because some days (or maybe week/weeks already) - I feel some changes. Mostly about uncategorized-category (unknown content / unrated). First observation coincided with my attempt to clear up reputation cache ('security cloud'-disconnected state) - so, I thought that it is a temporary situation. And, maybe, a lot of ratings are gone (happened yearly...).

But some examples are still there (I also tried 'rate' them via BP extension - but nothing yet changed). For example, uncategorized/unrated/unknown-content reputation is applied suddenly to:

• some Google Account pages (in gmail way to login); For example, to open login Gmail form - I need to allow web-pages twice. Both for accounts[.]google[.]com (which can be enough for both, but by surfing way - I ended with allowing first accounts[.]google[.]com/ServiceLogin and then accounts[.]google[.]com/v3/signin/identifier - that's URL in allowed websites)
    • then Outlook - outlook[.]live[.]com;
    • en[.]wikpedia[.]org (but.. for example, no[.]wikpedia[.]org is still okay);
    • search[.]yahoo[.]com/

and so on. all of them are about subdomains (looks like), but as with wikipedia example - Norwegian (for instance) with no changes about rating (still rated);

Another example is DuckDuckGo main-page:

• duckduckgo[.]com is blocked as "Illegal Downloads" (which I am not sure if applied to some functionality of this search engine).

All mentioned changes (duckuckgo maybe a bit more later) appeared at once. Tried them re-rate (or rate) via BP extension and (yet) allowed them locally.

Just not sure is it 'should be' reported via F-Secure SAS for re-rating. Or something different with entire design, so.. mentioned result is expected and normal one. Like if it is should be so.

Thanks!

Hi @Ukko

There should be no changes related to content blocking, so please create a bug report.

There was a bad Ultralight update F-Secure Ultralight Core (64-bit) 2023-04-13_01 published to beta that causes the product to show malfunction error. This error is not real - the protection still works. To clear the error you need to restart your device. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

• Candi1

Ok. Thank you Ville!

Yes, I received that error on my Windows 11 computer just a little bit ago. I had to restart my computer & now everything seems to be good. I never seen an error like that before, so it was a little alarming. I'm glad you said something about it here. Thank you!

• Ukko

Hello,

No any updates since 28.04.2023 (the last was Capricorn 2023-04-28_03). Are they just hooked / frozen till something*?

*stable dbtracker seems still with quite active releases of updates (Capricorn engine as example).

• Candi1
  • Ukko
    edited May 2023

28.04.2023, ....... wasn't that just a few days ago?

Yes, as such, it's a perfectly normal situation.

the last one was in the middle of Friday. and just then downtime for the whole weekend. I just thought it was odd that nothing had arrived today (01.05.2023). I looked in dbtracker (a stable F-Secure solution) and there were no such breaks this weekend. // sometimes, virgo/hydra/deepguard database or anything else also can be updated suddenly.

I thought that either something went wrong with my installation or just the beta solution froze the delivery of updates temporarily. // also, I looked at the time of announcement of beta releases in the topic and they were all in the morning or close (so I decided to write a comment, since it's not morning anymore; and if assuming there are no updates because of potential next beta-release).

// Well, I'll add. however, this is not the first case of course. It's just that this time it somehow suddenly drew attention to itself. And usually before it turns into a concern - some of the updates arrive.