Why does ID Protection show up mulitple times in the dock in MacOS, unlike any other mac app?

kurious
kurious Posts: 7 New Member

I'm running MacOS 12.0.1. I keep ID Protection in the dock, with a bunch of other apps. The doc also has a special section that shows the three apps you've most recently used. Why does ID Protection show up there too, three times, in addition to the "pinned" icon in the main part of the doc? No other app does this. I think it is a bug. Here's a screenshot:

Tagged:

Accepted Answers

• Jaims
    Jaims Posts: 846 Former F-Secure Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @kurious

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Our Mac developers will look into it and rectify this issue in the new client implementation.

As a workaround, quit all the apps so nothing is running. Then remove the icons from Dock and now open the Applications folder and just drag the ID Protection app onto the Dock and drop it there. See if this works, else we will wait for this new implementation.

• Jaims
    Jaims Posts: 846 Former F-Secure Employee
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓

Hi @kurious @deccles

The root cause is probably the fact that IDP app restarts itself when it's set to locked mode, i.e. the running process changes. This is for security reasons to clean up process memory from any leftovers of users password data.

We are still unsure why it is filling up the dock but we are already working on the new MacOS client where this should not suffice.

Answers

• kurious

That appears to have solved it! Thank you.

• kurious

Nope - did not solve it after all. ID Protection icon is once again filling up the "most recently used" section of the dock.

• deccles
    deccles Posts: 1 New Member

While not critical this issue is from a UI and UX point of view pretty ugly. Also some information about what is actually going on - is it spawning multiple instances of ID-Protection each time it launches (certainly the OS seems to think they are different copies of the same binary).

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info