Block annoying self-update Adobe

Options
NeillEvans
NeillEvans Posts: 1 New Member
edited December 2020 in General Discussion

Does anybody know how to get rid of many anoying self update programs like Adobe?

Since these are standard at many pc computers at the market,and the programs that I have at my mind is ex. Adobe Reader DC,Adobe Flash Player(for Firefox not ArkivX).

Since many of adobe´s softwares are known by many software experts as online threads as spyware.In terms that many customers don´t know that they can plant in some sort of undetected ransomware/spyware that can take control over ex.a Pc and in worse cases hack/take control over a persons broadband router.

But what I figure out as unpleasent and rather unprofessional from Adobe Systems is that even if I don´t what the software to serch for new updates I get it automaticly.

I´ve tried to recognize where this could be,but it seems that this type of software is hidden and scripted in win.registry files.

So my question is how can I get rid of this quite anoying self-update software??

As a tip on the track the files that I´ve recognized was AdobeArm.Exe.There are atleast 2 or 3 more exe files that have a similar begining and where adobe is involved in the file name.

But for now on I´m on a quite older Pc with Win 7(pro Swe 32.bit),and have the latest anti-virus from F-secure (safe).

I would be very grateful if someone cold make a rule or put this type of anoying services at the black list of potential theads,or get some sort of warning when I´m download the link.

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,619 Superuser
    Options

Hello,

There were two discussions here about your current trouble with the unedited version of its wording:

So, there was a good response.

I just could to add some meanings about your current wording:

Does anybody know how to get rid of many anoying self update programs like Adobe?

Disable this functionality in software settings / preferences; or to uninstall this software; or depending on the update method - tweak it / hack it (for example, if system Task Scheduler is used).

Probably, all Adobe solutions mentioned with the option of using a specially designed way to stop auto-update (or disable it). You could use their guides, Helps, knowledgebase articles on their webpages or built-in ones in software. If nothing is available, then to dig into their forums / communities. If nothing again - to search world-wide web about this subject.

Since many of adobe´s softwares are known by many software experts as online threads as spyware.In terms that many customers don´t know that they can plant in some sort of undetected ransomware/spyware

I am not sure about this sort of claim. Otherwise, it is illegal.

It is possible that their software collects some statistical or technical data, something indirectly related to the activities of the user and their software. But anyway, the specific risk to the user (and the potential for spyware) must be described in the terms of use and privacy policies, which the user must read and agree with before using their software. So, while someone call it spyware - I think this is the wrong way to use that term.

It is also unlikely that they will plant "undetected ransomware / spyware" on their own. Instead, it is possible that only a potential (partially probable) situation was meant that using vulnerabilities in their software, fraudsters can do all sorts of bad things.

I would be very grateful if someone cold make a rule or put this type of anoying services at the black list of potential theads,or get some sort of warning when I´m download the link.

If the designed way to disable behavior is not available with software. Then, you could check Firewall settings. Perhaps, it is already listed there and you can just 'disable' the rule if it is 'allow'-type one. However, it is so 'specific' and good to know exact type of trouble, software in matter and so on. Mostly, I think that software can be with settings to change way of updating; or you can to choose whether use it or not.

And, yes, unpatched application (no updates) can be much more dangerous from time to time. Especially, with older systems.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.