Why is F-secure VPN very problematic on my computer? Infact it's not working at all!

Options
User_5628
User_5628 Posts: 12 Enthusiast

I very recently purchased this app becuase I wanted a VPN app that also has a tracker blocker.
I found out a few days ago that Freedome is being discontinued. It is that that has the tracking blocker.I've wasted my money on a useless product. It will soon know longer do what I want it to do.

I am now having problems with f-secure VPN. I am having to remember to switch it on whenever I switch my computer on. Not only that, I have problems with every website that I want to visit;

Process
I get a click to connect, after a while I get an unable to connect message.
I then run internet disgnostics which informs me that there is no connection problem.
I then click reload. It sort of works.
If I want to go onto anther page on the same website I have to go through the above again.

i.e. For f-secure, I clicked on a link from google, had to go through the above steps to get to your landing page.
I then clicked on my f secure and then had to go through the above steps plus one more to get to the login page. The extra step was thhat the login was in a very basic form. I had to refresh the page in orderto get it to look like how it should (I was checking that it wasn't a spam link).

Having loggedin, I then had to go through the above process once again in order to reach the forum page. I then had to repeat the proces in orderto get to this page. The whole process took me 10 minutes to complete and about 1kg of lost hair!

I also have a problem with onecloud. I have to switch it off whenever I login to my computer. This could be a microsoft issue.

I am able to access sites without any problem with f-secure switched off. Not a safe place to be!

F-secure also seems to slow down my connection. It is slow when f-secure isn't on, an average of 4mbps. When f-secure is on I am lucky to get more than 0.5mbps.

I used F-secure for many years whilst living in Finland. Short version, I wasn't happy with the UK products that I purchased and decided to spend the extra for f-secure as I had no problems with it and it did what I wanted. This turned out to be a grave mistake. To use a Finnish Proverb I feel that f-secure is as good as a fart in the dessert!

I'm now not using f-secure because it doesn't work.It means that I am going to have to buy yet another VPN app.

Answers

• SteveUK
    SteveUK Posts: 8 Explorer
    Options

Hi User_5628, I think tracker blocking will work the same with F-Secure VPN as it did with Freedome but the mapper has not been implemented in the new F-Secure app. If you are having connection problems with VPN active, could you check if you are using Microsoft Edge? I am having a similar problem but specific to Microsoft Edge Version 124.0.2478.51 causing ERR_TIMED_OUT errors whilst VPN is active. I don't have the problem when using Firefox, and all other Windows services work fine (like Windows Updates and Microsoft Store). If you wanted to give F-Secure another go, perhaps try disabling VPN and downloading/installing Mozilla Firefox, and then seeing if Firefox works with the VPN active? I have found this to be a very recent problem (i.e. since this last weekend).

See https://community.f-secure.com/en/discussion/128022/microsoft-edge-err-timed-out-with-vpn-active#latest

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,710 Community Manager
    Options

Hello @User_5628 @SteveUK

Our team is currently investigating this issue. For ongoing discussions and updates, please visit the following link: F-Secure Community Discussion.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. Have a great day.

• User_5628
    Options

I've not mentioned it in my original post; I experience the problem on Chrome.

I've gone back to Norton. I have 8 months left on it. I don't like it, at least it works.

• Firmy
    edited April 26
    Options

Hello @User_5628

We have found the root cause and the workaround to the issue. We recommend you check the original thread.

Let us know your feedback.

Thank you and have a good day.

• User_5628
    Options

Can I have a refund…..

F-secure is so difficult to use.

It's hard enough getting to support …. I have just had tologin to different f-secure sectins 4 ties to get here .

and now….. the problem has been fixed bit I've got to searchfor the answer…. Not very user friendly to say the least especially when it's not clear what the answer id except it may be to switch to firefox. Why should I have to swap browser to use -f-secure? It worked in chrome when I purchased it a few weeks ago.

F-secure stopped working so I uninstalled it and raised this thread. I've just re-installed it found that the problem still exists with chrome.

I am going to seek legal advice, even if it means another visit to Vantaa courts withyour company.

• Firmy
    Options

Hello @User_5628

Thank you for your comment.

We regret any inconvenience you've experienced in seeking support, but rest assured, you're welcome to create a new post in the F-Secure Community. Our dedicated team and community members are here to assist you promptly.

We're pleased to inform you that the issue has been resolved after disabling the TLS 1.3 hybridized Kyber support. Several users have reported successful outcomes after taking this action. Additionally, remember to "Relaunch" Chrome after making this adjustment for the changes to take effect.

While we understand that switching to Firefox may not be an ideal solution, it serves as a temporary workaround while we continue to address the issue. Nevertheless, we're happy to confirm that the problem is resolved once TLS 1.3 hybridized Kyber support is disabled.

If you find that the resolution doesn't meet your expectations and you'd like a refund, we're here to assist you. You're entitled to request a refund within 30 days of your purchase date.

Thank you for your understanding, and we wish you a pleasant day ahead.

• User_5628
    Options

As at 15.35 British Summer Time. You have not fixed this issue. I am still unable to use Chrome. It keeps timing out. The only way tha I can use Chrome is to switch the firewall off. Not at all satisfactory.

To make matters worse, Firefox is a fudge not a fix! I am now having to import everything from Chrome into Firefox and that has to be done woth the firewall switched off. Not good, as so much personal data becomes available to hackers.

It's a lot of extraordinary effort just to enable me to continue using my computer as I will also have to move it back once and iof this problem is fixed. I say if, becuase it should have been fixed by now (6 days after I first reported it).

• User_5628
    Options

switch the Firewall off - i mean switch VPN off.

• Firmy
    Options

Hello @User_5628

Thank you for your feedback.

We appreciate your cooperation in troubleshooting the issue. Could you please run the following commands and provide us with the results?

1. Could you let us know which server you are currently connected to?
    2. Which VPN protocol are you using?
    3. Can you provide us with an example of a website that you are unable to visit while the VPN is active?
    4. Is the issue limited to a specific website, or are you experiencing difficulties accessing all websites?

Additionally, have you disabled TLS 1.3 hybridized Kyber support? Have you tried turning off IPv6?

We eagerly await your response to further assist you with resolving this issue.

Thank you for your cooperation, and have a wonderful day ahead.

• User_5628
    edited April 27
    Options

I AM NOT A TECH PERSON. I AM NEARLY 70 YEARS OLD!

Fesure has now causing the same problem on my mobile
    if firefox if I want to search for anything I have to login to google!

The problem is with all web sites!

Firewall is switched off. I still had to switch VPN.

Why sell a productv thatdoesn't do what you claim and the compnay not having the skills problems when they occur.
    I didn't buy form you…. I don't know if I can get a refund. laws in the UK are different for software (i've already downloaded the app which means that I can't claim a refund).

Product & Pricing Info