Microsoft Edge ERR_TIMED_OUT with VPN active

Options
SteveUK
SteveUK Posts: 8 Explorer

Since updating Microsoft Edge to Version 124.0.2478.51 (Official build) (64-bit), I am getting ERR_TIMED_OUT errors whilst VPN is active. Firefox is unaffected. Turning off the VPN then loads every site without issue. I am running F-Secure App Version 19.4 (5.5.1190.0) and have the same problem on both my Windows 10 and my Windows 11 64-bit machines. I have tried VPN bypass and that unblocks a lot of sites, but some still do not load such as the microsoft.com and f-secure.com websites. Can anyone else verify this issue?

Accepted Answer

• PawełP
    PawełP Posts: 200 Moderator
    edited April 25 Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @Steve & @siramic & @Sim0n & @SteveUK

Hello @User_5628 & @SteveUK

Thank you very much for your posts and for bringing the VPN issue to our attention. We understand how frustrating it is when the performance of the Internet is slowed down to the point that it makes it difficult to use it normally.
    I would like to assure you that by collecting diagnostic data from our customers who were willing to provide it to us, our technicians were able to get into the cause of this problem. Currently
    Our technicians are already working to solve this problem and are testing the solution. It should soon be implemented in the available version of the product.
    So please be patient for a while longer and thank you for your understanding.

I posted the same message here: https://community.f-secure.com/en/discussion/comment/136823#Comment_136823

Additionally please check how the internet works when you use Firefox. Do you see any difference. We will appreciate your opinion on it.

Best regards

Pawel

Making every digital moment secure, for everyone

Answers

• Sim0n
    Sim0n Posts: 3 Observer
    Options

I am the same, just upgraded(ahem upgrade) to the new fsecure app and edge is painfully slow to load any web site that i try to browse, unless i turn the vpn off, wish i hadn't bothered upgrading to the new app now.

Dont use any other browser either.

• siramic
    siramic Posts: 100 Adventurer
    edited April 23
    Options

Nothing on my end that timed out with Edge on Windows 10 and 11 64-bit, Total same version as yours. Microsoft home page took a bit of time to load, and this forum (in Chrome) also was a bit slow to load. It's sporadic.

I'm in the US using connect to the "Best location" option which is another US server.

edit: this forum just timed out when I refreshed it in Brave, then restored itself a second later. Some webpages seem load a little slower than normal (slight hitch), even without the VPN enabled.

• SteveUK
    Options

Thank you Sim0n and siramic for your replies. As this has occurred on both of my computers as soon as i upgraded to the latest version of Microsoft Edge, I was expecting this to be an issue everyone using F-Secure VPN would be having. I am using "Best Location" as well, but connecting to the UK endpoint. For me, Microsoft Edge will not load any page with VPN active, but as I say Firefox is completely unaffected. Hopefully someone from F-Secure can investigate?

• Sim0n
    Sim0n Posts: 3 Observer
    Options

@PawełP

I don't use any other browser other than edge, it does all i need, however my wife uses firefox and has installed the latest F-secure app without any isue.

Strange thing also i noticed is i went back to the old freedome vpn which was working fine before the upgrade and this also is now suffering from the same issue.

• SteveUK
    Options

Thank you @PawełP for the information and link to the other page where this is being further investigated.

Product & Pricing Info