FS Protection PC 19.4 releases

Options

Release 19.4 beta 1 (5.5.752):

New features:

• Native 64-bit version is now available. In this beta any new installation on 64-bit Windows will install the natively 64-bit version of the product. In next beta existing 32-bit installations on 64-bit system will be migrated to 64-bit version of the product.
  • Main user interface look has changed. This is still heavily under work and work will continue over multiple beta releases. All existing functionality remains the same. We encourage you to give feedback about this user interface through beta feedback. Note that in this beta, there will be Latin text "Lorem ipsum..." on the top of the UI under the header "You are protected": this is a placeholder for a proper text that will be set up later.

Bug fixes:

• Toast notification stays in history when it should not (PBL-12257, PBL-12273)
  • Toasts may crash the app in rare circumstances (PBL-12248)
  • After crash, password vault is not available until reboot (PBL-12251)

F-Secure R&D, Desktop products

Answers

Options

Release 19.4 beta 2 (5.5.848):

New features:

• Automatic migration to native 64-bit version for all clients that are at least 19.4 beta 1 version.

Bug fixes:

• Multiple fixes to dark mode support main user interface header bar

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,624 Superuser
    Options

Hello,

I haven't tried to restarting system (yet) - but I think fs protection Privacy VPN is deactivated after upgrade. In UI - 'inaccessible' card, in Settings - 'not initialized' state; and so on.

I think a restart might fix it, but if not (or even if yes) - is this the expected state for 19.4 beta 2? And should fs protection in such cases request a reboot or show something about (say, suddenly or expectedly Privacy VPN is off/uninitialised for some known or unknown reason).

Thanks!

• siramic
    siramic Posts: 100 Adventurer
    edited March 5
    Options

Hopefully, the header bar will be fixed in regards to enabling and disabling it without closing the app window and opening it back up. As of now, when I enable it (the arrows), it doesn't expand back. I know this is an area that is going to take some time to perfect as in the 1st post announcement, but I like when I click it, all of the panels can be viewed on my screen, compared to some being slightly hidden when the full header is displayed. So that would be a nice toggle feature to see all the panels clearly with one tick. I like where that is heading :) 19.4 beta 2 (5.5.848)

edit: for better clarification, wording used.

• fs-seppo
    fs-seppo Posts: 22 F-Secure Employee
    Options

Hello,

Please collect fsdiag and submit a bug report. Migration is expected not to require a reboot.

Seppo

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,624 Superuser
    edited March 5
    Options

Hello,

@fs-seppo , sorry for misleading and for the confusion.

Please collect fsdiag and submit a bug report. Migration is expected not to require a reboot.

I didn't mean that a device reboot was required or requested.

And migration, perhaps, went smoothly enough (although Windows Security Center took a relatively long time compared to a regular update - showing the (x)-symbol and related things. But not more than five or ten minutes though).

My point was that after installing 19.4 beta 2 - Privacy VPN module became, so to speak, 'deactivated' (not initialized). As if some kind of error occurred or something failed when initializing something (driver, network adapter). Its module-card is gray/inaccessible with default wording like "loading... wait" (and so states in Settings or menu - where it is gray or not-ready-to-use). As such, I have not tried rebooting this device - perhaps this will fix the situation with Privacy VPN.

And then my point was whether something should be shown or requested (say, a reboot) in such situations when some module is no longer active/available after an update. With this case - Privacy VPN is deactivated / not available to use; If this feature should still be available - can "fs protection" detect such a broken state and report it or suggest rebooting the device (if this can help). That was kind of suggestion or wondering.

Such as - updating from one release to another and getting broken state for one of modules (Privacy VPN) which may or not be 'reinstated' after device restart (I just did not know yet) - looks like a bit of strange situation (or unexpected, partially) even if restart will help.

And if rebooting the device does not help, is it worth reporting that Privacy VPN went to be disabled? Or it is known limitation for this beta release with 'migration'?

Thanks, and sorry for the length.

// just as feedback to feedback :)

Hopefully, the header bar will be fixed in regards to enabling and disabling it without restarting the app. As of now, when I enable it, it doesn't expand back. 

@siramic , I think with my installation - I do able hide and expand header and repeat it again (with no limits). However, compared to your screenshots. When I tried to hide header - the text is aligned to left-side (in your screenshot it is a center/middle). Also, I do use light/day/white mode. Restarting the app will reset chosen state to default expanded.

Very interesting which case is a proper one :) I think text centered to the middle is a bit of more beaty (when it is on the left side - too much space). However, maybe it was / is a reason for inability to unhide it in your situation.

Thanks!

Options

Hello @Ukko

I hit the same VPN issue on my work computer (yes, we are running beta on the computers where we develop it) and it's pretty clear why it's broken. Please submit a bug report anyway so we can confirm it's the same problem. There is no way to recover until we make the next beta release, since some registry values are bad.

Migration should be fully automatic and not need any kind of restart.

• Ktteri
    Ktteri Posts: 3 Observer
    Options

Hi, my vpn died too. I collected fsdiag. What should I do next?

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser
    Options

Just a small observation, but my system tray icon disappeared after the last upgrade and needed reinstating. Yet to see if it stays there after a reboot, but fully expecting it will.

Options

@Ktteri You can send bug report to beta@f-secure.com and attach fsdiag.

@Simon That can basically happen only for 2 reasons. Either our services did not start properly after migration or something crashed. In either case, it would be good if you can send a bug report and attach fsdiag.

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser
    Options

@Ville - I will do. The icon was still there in the pop up, it had just disappeared from it's actual position by the clock.

Options

@Simon in that case that it's just Windows being difficult. It probably detected that tray icon had moved to another process and decided to forget your visibility settings for it. Not much we can do from our side.

Options

Release 19.4 beta 3 (5.5.918):

Bug fixes:

• VPN not usable after migration to 64-bit (PBL-12327)
    • DeepLink does not work after 64-bit migration (PBL-12335)

• Ivan_Osipov
    Ivan_Osipov Posts: 77 Former F-Secure Employee
    Options

There is a triangle sign nearby the Browsing Protection title at the task on the top (see screenshot). Most likely, localization is missing, but I use English version and it's a bit weird. Could you please check?

• siramic
    edited March 16
    Options

I wonder if it's just a yellow, "it needs attention" warning symbol? I disabled Secure Browsing and it showed up as well, compared to the green everything looks good (you are protected) icon, once I re-enabled it.

Options

Thank you for noticing @Ivan_Osipov . I will take care of it.

• Urmas
    Urmas Posts: 67 F-Secure Employee
    Options

19.4 beta 5 (5.5.1137), note that there was no beta 4:

New features:

• UI design refresh changes (e.g. smart task cards)

Bug fixes:

• Password vault incorrectly prompts to set up extension after 64-bit migration (PBL-12359)

Removed features:

• Web Traffic Scanning was removed. It could only scan unencrypted traffic which is very rare nowadays and the files will be scanned when they are on the disk anyway.

• MaHeHRO
    MaHeHRO Posts: 20 Enthusiast
    Options

In my experience, F-Secure has also successfully scanned encrypted traffic without a browser extension or via other software (e.g. jDownloader). Is this also out now?

Options

That is incorrect. Encrypted traffic has never been scanned. The reputation for DNS domain can be checked but not content. We don't install man-in-the-middle certificates that some other vendors so because that makes it impossible for the end user to be sure their connection is secured end to end.

• dukavi
    dukavi Posts: 119 F-Secure Product Expert
    Options

Release 19.4 beta 6 (5.5.1190):

New features:

• The scanning settings are changed to per user settings

Bug fixes:

• Fixed problem with deletion of multiple passwords in Vault
    • Fixed crash during uninstallation

Improvements:

• UX improvements

• siramic
    edited April 19
    Options

I'm not sure of where I missed the forum Public release announcement of 19.4 and not in the beta thread, or "beta" shown behind the build number as above, but it's been updated here:

https://community.f-secure.com/total-en/kb/articles/29614

edited April 19
    Options

19.4 was released yesterday (2024-04-18). I forgot to update this thread, sorry about that.

We will start 19.5 beta releases soon.

• TheMatrix
    TheMatrix Posts: 2 Observer
    Options

So now that The old VPN is EOF, I ran in to an issue where I have FS Protection installed with the Beta account but I have a paid lic. for the VPN. But trying to update to the new VPN App now gives me an incompatibility warning. Is there a solution in the pipeline for users who like to have the Beta version of FS Protection and also have the VPN app but on different accounts or do we just have to choose to drop out of the beta and run with a paid lic. setup ?

Options

@TheMatrix We now only have a single app that can have different features enabled based on license. Unfortunately this means that you can have only either beta or production version of the app. There is no way to run both on the same device.

• JOnes
    JOnes Posts: 463 Rock Star
    edited April 24
    Options

wouldn't it be easier to stay aware of announcements if "Cybersecurity Enthusiasts" could follow the "announcement" queue in its entirety, so they would receive a notification every time an announcement is made

• TheMatrix
    TheMatrix Posts: 2 Observer
    Options

So is there a Beta to include VPN and FS Protection one can join or is the only option to use lic. for this purpose? I will anyway be buying some licenses as I have other setups where I run the lic. Versions but have been part of the beta tester crowd almost since it started so would be sad to drop it.

Options

If you need VPN for some actual use cases I would recommend you use the paid version. It has more locations and higher speed. We have given beta VPN access to a small group of people who are active in reporting bugs to us from beta - we can't give VPN to all beta users because the traffic has a cost to us.

• Urmas
    Urmas Posts: 67 F-Secure Employee
    Options

Hello,

19.4 beta program has ended, 19.5 beta releases will be announced at