Malware/virus/something got through, any advice?

Options
Partsi
Partsi Posts: 1 New Member
edited November 2023 in F-Secure Total

Hi,

Despite everything something got through and deleted 40 GB from my HD.

I was able to run a Full Computer Scan with F-Secure, but it found nothing harmful anymore.

Any advice? Could it be the virus destroyed itself too?

What should I do to ensure nothing can spread any further?

IOW how can I wipe the HD so squeaky clean nothing harmful can remain?

PS. I suspect a Chrome extension was the culprit: "OOXML Tools". When I installed and ran that extension, things went wrong

Accepted Answer

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,686 Community Manager
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @Partsi

Welcome to the F-Secure Community. Thank you for your post.

We regret to hear about the issue you're facing. To provide the best assistance, could you please share more details about the symptoms or any error messages you've encountered? Have you received any messages or notifications from F-Secure Total? Did anything show up in the recent events? Additionally, knowing the version of F-Secure Total you're using and the operating system version would be helpful.

In the meantime, here are some steps you can take:

1. Run a full system scan with your F-Secure Total Running a virus scan manually | Total | Latest | F-Secure User Guides.
    2. Ensure that both your operating system and F-Secure product are up to date.
    3. Check for any suspicious or unfamiliar programs in your installed programs list and remove them.

IOW how can I wipe the HD so squeaky clean nothing harmful can remain?

If you're uncertain about erasing and reformatting your hard drive, you may consider seeking assistance from a local IT store.

If the issue persists, please share more details, and we'll do our best to assist you.