Total Password vault inaccessible

Options
indrekr
indrekr Posts: 11 Explorer

Hi,

as of a few days ago I lost access to my password vault - trying to access it gives me an error and a suggestion to reboot or restart the application on windows. Restarting has no effect, still same error (tried numerous times). No idea on how to just restart the application, but can't see why this should have a different effect. Password vault still accessible on my Android device though.

Using F-Secure 19.1 on Windows 10 Home 22H2.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Accepted Answer

Answers

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,685 Community Manager
    Options

Hello @indrekr

Thank you for your post.

We'd appreciate some clarification on the message you mentioned. Are you receiving the message to restart your machine after logging into the Password Vault or after opening F-Secure Total? Have you checked for any pending Windows updates? In some cases, Windows may prompt for a restart if there are updates pending or if there's a detection that can only be fully resolved with a system restart.

Providing additional context about the situation will help us offer more precise assistance.

Thank you, and we hope you have a great day.

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,619 Superuser
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hello,

Got it today (now) with beta installation.

Probably all was fine for my installation, at least, yesterday (thus, obviously not at the same date as with original's discussion).

My situation was like:

-> I opened, actually, My FS Protection beta portal (or anyhow so safeavenue) in Microsoft Edge; Just to see the login forms.

-> I decided to open Password Vault in fs protection and saw at the step of 'before typing masterpassword' how gray-logo is switched to temporarily blue-locked logo in autofill features of Password Vault extension in Microsoft Edge;

-> when I tried to unlock Password Vault - this trouble is appeared. "Something wrong, try to restart app or device" with locked masterpassword-field.

-> Password Vault extension logo in browser - switched to 'gray' (as no app is launched).

I closed fs protection (maybe browser too). And leave it for some minutes (ten?!). When I decided to re-try unlocking Password Vault - it was possible.

However, then, I tried to repeat/reproduce this trouble. And, now, got a pretty stable broken state of things. Whenever I am trying to unlock (even with a wrong masterpassword) - 'Something wrong, try to restart app or device'.

BP Extension is 'lost'; now, always with gray-state if the app is never opened/launched.

fs protection UI is switched temporarily from "open app" to "configure the app" and back to the "open app" in Password Vault preview card.

I will try to play a bit more with my situation, now.

Thanks!

// yes, also, during this broken state of things - I feel that when I trying to open Password Vault in fs protection UI (card) - this action with a delay (so, switching from UI to Password Vault's unlock screen is not immediately happened).

// fun point is QR-code is not recognized by trying to use "Forgot Password" (although, I am not sure if I do have any valid one, but any is not accepted and the most recent one is not accepted too).

• indrekr
    Options

@Firmy , thank for looking into this! I can open F-Secure total just fine, as far as I can tell all other functionality is OK. Error occurs when trying to log in to Password Vault. No pending Windows updates - the system is up to date.

Behavior seems identical to what @Ukko reports above - except that I'm using Firefox as primary browser. I can still access my Password Vault on my Android device.

• Ukko
    Options

Hello,

Actually, I found out that my situation is pinned to something like crash.

To reproduce my trouble and to receive this "something is wrong. try restart application or device", I need to hit "autofill"-logo in the forms before unlocking Password Vault.

Like if:

-> Password Vault is locked (not used);

-> open Microsoft Edge, open any login form;

-> there, in the forms, are gray-logos of Password Vault extension (autofill/filling).

-> open fs protection, open Password Vault screen;

-> in the login forms, gray-logos are switched to blueLocked logos. Whenever I tried to hit this 'logo' AND then if I will try to unlock Password vault - I got the trouble.

As such, when I tried to click on the Password Vault logos in login forms (when it is blueLocked-one) - I see switching to 'gray'-state. At this point, I think there is a crash.

For me, restarting device is helpful. Or even logout from user account and log-in back. I mean, after a reboot, if I will open F-Secure beta application and then will try to unlock Password Vault - it is possible. If I did not try to hit autofill-logos in login forms (while using browser) - all is fine too.

I can't, yet, to check it with Firefox. If there is no difference between browsers, then maybe my situation is not fully related to yours. At least, because restarting device is helpful for me.

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,685 Community Manager
    Options

Hello @Ukko

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We greatly appreciate your input on this matter.

We would suggest you to submit a bug report to the beta team. They will look more deeply on this issue since you are using the FS Protection. You can provide as well steps to reproduce the issue. All information are valuable for us to investigate this matter.

@indrekr

Could you try logging out of your account on the app and then logging back in to see if it resolves the issue? If not, you might attempt to unlock the Password Vault first without clicking on the gray-locked logo initially.

Please let us know the outcome after trying these steps.

Thank you, and have a great day!

• indrekr
    Options

@Firmy - I tried both. Logging out of the app and logging in does not resolve the issue, even if I reboot between logging out and in. Not clicking the gray-locked logo does not have an effect either. Also tried rebooting and then going straight to the app and vault, without opening a browser before that. No effect, still cannot access my pwd vault.

• Ukko
    Options

Hello,

Sorry for the extra comment.

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We greatly appreciate your input on this matter. We would suggest you to submit a bug report to the beta team. They will look more deeply on this issue since you are using the FS Protection. You can provide as well steps to reproduce the issue. All information are valuable for us to investigate this matter.

Yes, I did that. Around Mon, Oct 23, 2023 at 12:53 AM. With a further follow-up after some hours (when realizing that there is a crash and knowing some steps to reproduce).

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Since your situation is likely unrelated to my experience - it is better to understand a reason and a proper solution, but as such.. since your Android device is still valid.. maybe here is a workaround like this: to use "Forgot password" at the masterpassword request on Windows machine, then "Create a new Vault" (as a start from scratch), then sync-back from the Android device. However, it is not really safe enough to perform. Because just by keeping your current state - it is 'workable' Android device; and still your storage in Password Vault (even if it is somehow marked as invalid); so better ways to restore access without any extra difficulties. Perhaps, F-Secure team will find a way to troubleshoot situation correctly.

Thanks!

• indrekr
    Options

@Firmy - any further suggestions regarding this issue? The password manager functionality has been unusable for me for the lest 2+ weeks... Looking forward to figuring it out somehow, but have run out of ideas.

• indrekr
    Options

@Firmy - thanks, this did the trick. All works again. Thanks! Not sure why this happened though, but it allright now anyway.