Why is renewal more expensive than purchase a new product as not logged in User

UteBaehr
UteBaehr Posts: 1 New Member
edited December 2023 in F-Secure Internet Security

Hello,

my licence expires in 2 days.

To renew the licence the price is 86.99€ for internet security for 1 device for 2 years.

If i go on the normal shop and want to buy as "new costumer" the price is 59.99€.

This is not what i expected as a good costumer experience for your long-term costumer.

Greetings

Tagged:

Accepted Answer

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser
    Answer ✓

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I am only an F-Secure user.

This is not what i expected as a good costumer experience for your long-term costumer.

I partially agree with this perception. In the sense that it is a little strange and not entirely pleasant for long-term customers. For example, they could also count on some kind of discount. Or something like that. At least seeing such promo offers as you mentioned.

However,

Why is renewal more expensive than purchase a new product as not logged in User

to renew the licence the price is 86.99€ for internet security for 1 device for 2 years.

If i go on the normal shop and want to buy as "new costumer" the price is 59.99€.

(as example) discussed and 'explained' a bit there: https://community.f-secure.com/en/discussion/126359/skimpy-with-discount-to-old-customers

And as I understand it, this is still not a promo offer for renewing, but for the first subscription. So it is still different things. And the cost of "renewing" a subscription will be similar for everyone.

The fact that F-Secure is launching promotional offers for "fresh customers" / new users is a bit understandable. For the first subscription they offer a discount or special price (which can also be different at different times). I think it's okay. It's like services give three\five\seven months of free use for a fresh user. And less often you can meet when this is launched for an existing one (out of blue).

This subject has also been discussed a little recently. (How can I buy F-Secure Total for 1 device fot 24 months? — F-Secure Community)

I feel that if this situation is not acceptable for the user, then he can take advantage and create a new account / purchase a subscription with a discount price as a "new" user (another email, for example). Thus, he will be covered by the current promotion (although before that he was a long-term loyal customer). It may not be suggested to do so. But it can be mentioned as an option.

If complaining about "we need to create another account and so on and so forth" instead of getting 'benefits' as an existing customer. True! But it's fair. This promotion is for newly created accounts (fresh users) and their first purchase. So, let's be honest for new users. Otherwise, what's the difference.

It might be strange to encourage users to create another account (so follow the promo rules and the terms of the promotion). But if user don't like it - keep your account and maybe get more bonuses later. As a regular customer.

After all, if there is a promotion for old users, "new users" will not be able to take advantage of this. :)

But this is if we simply discuss the current difference and options for "solution".

Because, in principle, I understand that, for example, your main concern is the absence of any benefits for old users even now, when a promo offer for newcomers is on.

However, I can also notice - that your local price (the base) is lower and indexed (due to locality, apparently) than the global (EN) or maybe some other location. Some might be outraged by this. But I don't think the pricing and promotions are made up by F-Secure without some balance and common sense.

Thanks!

Answers

• Samu23
    Samu23 Posts: 1 New Member

F-secure ID protection and F-secure total just got super expensive! Basically the prices are doubled for this year.

First I got renewal offer, Total just jumped from 59€ to 99€. I was not able to find a way in my profile to tap what I would like to have. So I Called them and asked, if it is possible to renew only the ID protection. So the phone operator changed it, so after change the id protection is 79€, if remember right, after the call, and at the moment the F-secure total is 109€.

this is not the way a company threats its' customers.

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,621 Community Manager

Hello @Samu23

Welcome to the F-Secure Community. Thank you for your post.

Upon reviewing your purchase history, we have found that in July 2022, you upgraded your subscription from F-Secure ID Protection to F-Secure Total for 5 devices. This means that you did not renew your subscription, however, rather upgraded it. As a result, the remaining balance you need to pay for the upgrade is only €53.01 because you still have a valid subscription until June 2023.

Please note that renewals can only be done within 30 days prior to your subscription's expiration, while upgrades or buy more can be made at any time while your subscription is active. Upgrading or buying more refers to changing your package, such as moving from F-Secure ID Protection to F-Secure Total, or purchasing additional licenses to cover more devices (e.g., from 5 devices to 7 devices).

Upon checking your account, the renewal fees are accurate. For F-Secure ID Protection (5 devices), the fee is €72.99, and for F-Secure Total, it is €109.99.

If you need any further assistance, please don't hesitate to let us know. We are here to help.

Thank you, and have a wonderful day.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info