F-Secure Total for ARM based tablets and smartphones?

Hartmut3112
Hartmut3112 Posts: 3 Observer
edited October 2023 in F-Secure Total

Hi,

I am using F-Secure Internet security on my Windows PC and F-Secure VPN on my Android tablet and smartphone for many years. Great products, work very well!

Now I thought it's time to upgrade to F-Secure Total. But the system requirements tell me: "ARM-based tablets are not supported". So I can not use F-Secure Total on my Android Galaxy Tablet A7 or may Google Pixel 6a, right?

It's a bit confusing: F-Secure Total can be installed on these devices using googles app store, but requires a licence. Which makes no sense, if ARM based tablets are not supported.

I really like the idea of "one security app for all devices" in combination with a family license. "One app to rule them all" 😃 Other products like McAfee Total Protection seem to support this feature. Do you have any plans for ARM based Android tablets and smartphones?

Tagged:

Accepted Answer

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

Hello,

I am only an F-Secure user. Good if there will be an official statement.

So I can not use F-Secure Total on my Android Galaxy Tablet A7 or may Google Pixel 6a, right?

However, I think mentioned restriction was mostly about Windows application. So, to install Windows version on ARM-based Windows tablet (Windows RT?!).

Android can be with a bit of another design.

And, for example, MacOS / iOS with a partial support (as I suppose).

I tried check what is the processor of, at least, one of my Android devices. And it says likely "ARM-based" (so to speak). Thus, I do use F-Secure app on that Android 12 device.

Based on this - I think you can use F-Secure TOTAL on mentioned devices. Especially, if it was possible to install. :)

// well, I did not think that probably both of them are tablets. My experience is only about smartphones.

Thanks!

Answers

• Hartmut3112

Thank you very much for your quick reply! If F-Secure TOTAL works on your ARM based Android tablet, I think it will work on mine, too. I'll just buy a license and try it out. I'll report back later, stay tuned! 🤗

• Hartmut3112

Now I have installed F-Secure TOTAL on all devices, i.e. my Windows PC (Intel x64), my ARM-based Galaxy Tablet A7 and my ARM-based Google Pixel 6a. Everything works just fine! 👍️

So I guess that "ARM-based tablets are not supported" just means "ARM-based Windows tablets are not supported" (i.e. Windows RT). Nice, I'm happy. Thanks again, case closed.

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

If F-Secure TOTAL works on your ARM based Android tablet, I think it will work on mine, too

Yes, but I meant that my device is a smartphone. And its processor (based on specs) is ARM processor. And F-Secure app working good there.

There was a little possibility that with Android tablet can be another situation. :)

I'll just buy a license and try it out. I'll report back later, stay tuned! 

Just as a note - it was possible to use a trial-days too (I think). Before purchasing a full-subscription.

Now I have installed F-Secure TOTAL on all devices, i.e. my Windows PC (Intel x64), my ARM-based Galaxy Tablet A7 and my ARM-based Google Pixel 6a. Everything works just fine! 

But very good! Congratulations!

So I guess that "ARM-based tablets are not supported" just means "ARM-based Windows tablets are not supported" (i.e. Windows RT). Nice, I'm happy. Thanks again, case closed.

Should be so. At least, you can see there: System requirements | Total | Latest | F-Secure User Guides

all remarks about "ARM-based tablets" are pinned to Windows application (installation).

I saw that current official F-Secure website with another 'listing' and a kind of 'confusing' (F-Secure Total — One app to secure your digital moments | F-Secure), where ''ARM-based tablets are not supported" is just a last line to entire list and right after Android platform mention. That's why I was not completely sure that things are still the same.

And what if Android tablets (with ARM processors) are inclusion to unsupported platform too.

Anyway, will be good to read official statement from F-Secure team. At least, in the very bad case - it will be known that support is limited (despite the fact that it was possible to install app and use it). So, some functionality can be with some side effects. But likely that all is fine about your Android devices.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.