Problems with auto update to IS2013

suf
Aspirant

Problems with auto update to IS2013

When my IS updated itself to the 2013 version, I got several issues:

- Twice the fire wall was inactivated. (Could possibly be coincidence; has never happened before though.)

- In the Status window the first item "Virus scanning" (original messages in Swedish, my translation) displays an exclamation point, the slider is green though the text prior to the slider says "Updating", and has done so for two-three days.

- Several components (CCF network 1.2.128, Onsline Safety 2.77.1170, Computer Security 12.77.100) list as "Not Installed" and one component (F-S Hydra Update 2013-03-01_05) lists as "Failed" (original messages in Swedish, my translation).

- The banking protection (which b.t.w. scared the wits out of me when it appeared, as I didn't know it existed...) states "%PRODUCT_NAME% has switched on [...]", which indicates something is missing.

- The message box announcing an available product upgrade also contains a place holder or variable name instead of a company name: "A free upgrade is available from {@Localization\Customizable\StringsSmiley SurprisedperatorName}" (original messages in Swedish, my translation).

Something apparently got stuck in the update process, and I have no indication or idea as to what happened. What could be the best way forward?

43 REPLIES 43

Re: Problems with auto update to IS2013

I recently made the upgrade manually, and had to try twice. The first time, I was expecting a pop-up at end to ask me to reboot, but the installaiton window just disappeared and then nothing happened. I waited for some time, and then started the F-SecureNetworkInstallerUpg.exe again. Again, nothing seemed to be happening after the window closed, but this time I just sat and waited. Eventually, a pop-up came and asked me to reboot.

If you haven't had the patience to wait for this, you may have gotten into trouble.

Today, I have experienced lots of trouble with a reinstall. I have a fresh new computer and installed F-Secure on it, but Computer Security was not running. Rebooting the computer didn't help, but when I installed or uninstalled some other software and rebooted, FSIS sometimes worked, sometimes not. I still don't know if the problem is with some other software or not. Anyway, I ended up uninstalling FSIS and reinstalling it, and that gave me even more tourble. The first time I noticed that now F-Secure thinks I have FSIS installed on three computers, which is not the case. I suspected this may have happened because I may have made the first installation on the new computer via WLAN, and perhaps FSIS found a different MAC address. So today I tried to do uninstall over WLAN and then install over LAN. But the reinstall got stuck in a strange way, and eventually I could not eeven try to do a reinstall; the installer just said it failed. After much much perspiration I managed to run the installaiton again, but the problem I was trying to solve stil persists. F-Secure still thinks I have done the installaiton on three computers. My knee-jerk reaction is that also the uninstall had something still running in the backgrouund while I attemted the reinstall, and that got everything mixed up.

Having a silent process in the background confuses the user much too much. F-Secure, please, make sure that users can see that the installation still has not completed as long as there is a background proces still doing something. Do not hide it. The user gets into very bad and frustrating situaitons because of the hidden process. Please please please fix this.

In both cases, I was installing FSIS 2013 Release 3, and on both computers I have Windows 7 (Home on the upgrade computer, and Professional on the new one).

Supporter

Hello,

I think that most of issues that you mention may be solved by performing a clean installation of FSIS (assuming there is no other security solution installed already on your computer, no matter how tiny it be). I would try first by uninstalling the whole FSIS from Windows Control Panel, be patient in the process and if everything went right Windows will ask you to reboot. In any case, whether uninstalling was successful or not (got stuck or failed), it is advised to run the FS uninstallation tool afterwards: ftp://ftp.f-secure.com/support/tools/uitool/UninstallationTool.exe Save it to your desktop, run it and follow instructions. Please be patient, as the system may automatically restart once the process is completed.

As last step, you can perform the clean install of the Suite (again, be patient on installing):

F-Secure Internet Security 2013 (Release 3) Swedish: http://www.f-secure.com/sv/web/home_se/support/installers

I don't know whom you replied to, but I'll chime in anyway.

In my case, the uninstall tool didn't do its job properly. In the first uninstall, I first tried the tool, then resorted to Control Panel and that worked much better. In the second uninstall, which got jammed, the uninstall tool just opened and closed and did nothing at all. Eventually I had just one process, fshoster32, running. I killed it then deleted the installation directory, well tried, but it failed because fshoster32 was running again. So I killed it again and got the directory destroyed. After that, I still had to clean registry and restart computer before the installer managed to do its job.

When I said I suspect some other software for the trouble, I mean the pre-installed sw that came with my new Lenovo Thinkpad E530. It comes with loads and loads of crap that I have had to uninstall one by one. I haven't had time to install anything much, just Firefox on such.

Supporter

Hi Hono,

Sorry for the confusion. I was trying to assist original poster, Suf.

You wrote:  "I first tried the tool, then resorted to Control Panel and that worked much better."  In your case, and how it's always advised for all installed software, I think it would have been better to remove it in the other way around?

Then you said: "In the second uninstall, which got jammed, the uninstall tool just opened and closed and did nothing at all." I  would say then the Suite was probably uninstalled properly before.

Anyway, I think you are doing the right thing, by getting rid of the tons of preinstalled software that came with your Lenovo. I know a free tool that can help in this regard http://pcdecrapifier.com/  

Then, when you have spare time and/or you are in the mood, you might want to try the whole clean installation procedure of FSIS 2013 mentioned in my previous post.

PS. I personally like PowerTools (Macecraft) for my registry cleaning needs, I use it particularly after every software uninstallations.

At the point when the uninstall tool only opened and closed and did nothing, there was still the fshoster32 running, so F-Secure definitely was not properly uninstalled yet. My theory of how it got into a knot is that when I did the uninstall (from control panel, at that time), and didn't get a pop-up for reboot, I assumed that this brand new release doesn't need the reboot anymore, and immediately proceeded to being a new installation. WHile I was running it, the uninstall must have been working in the background. After the install, I saw a pop-up asking me to reboot, but I didn't check if it was from uninstall or install. I rebooted, and expected to have F-Secure running, but it wasn't. The fshoster32 was the only process. SO the uninstall must have been wreaking havoc with the installation process. And in this situation, the uninstall tool didn't do anything at all.

So you see why I am asking F-Secure to make sure that none of the uninstal and install phases are done by a hidden process that user cannot see.

Supporter

Hi Hono,

Well, I have to agree with what you said in your last paragraph.

Yes, I think that the uninstalling tool always does its job behind the scenes, at least that's one of the directions that I received days ago from Mr. Bathumalai, a tech-support engineer:

"6.    Uninstallation will run as a background process.
7.    Your computer will automatically restart once uninstallation process complete."

So in your case it's clear that this tool totally messed up the correct uninstallation of the Suite, since as you said above, the user ignores beforehand when it is actually working. A kind of notice or better yet, a always-on window that shows uninstallation status is highly recommended to be included on the tool.

In my case, on the other hand, I fortunately followed the way I always use to uninstall apps, by going the ControlPanel first before using the uninst. tool.

No, you got it wrong. After the first time when I tried the uninstall tool first, I had learned my lesson and second time I started the uninstall via Control Pane. But this uninstall showed a window that closed without asking for reboot, and after waiting for several minutes, I proceeded to doing a new install. That too ended without asking for a reboot, but again several minutes later I saw a pop-up asking for reboot, and I didn't chck the window title. I  just rebooted. And then I was in a mess.

You cannot blame that on the uninstall tool. It was the uninstall I launched via Control panel that caused the whole havoc, together with F-SecureNetworkInstallerUpg.exe. While I was in the mess, I tried also the uninstall tool, but it didn't do anything at all, and eventually also the netinstall just failed.

suf
Aspirant

Hi macstorm,

Thanks for Your advice! I got basically the same from FS support (they replied today, reasonably promptly after the week end, also to a follow up question I had), except they said nothing about beginning with a Windows uninstall of FSIS. What would be Your argument in favour of starting in that end?

Also, approximately how long (what ballpark: x minutes? y hours?) will the FS uninstall take, and then how long the clean install of FSIS 2013? (I understand the computer has to be left alone until it restarts, so I'd like to know what to expect.)

General grumbling: there should be a "repair" facility/function for cases like this...

suf
Aspirant

Hi Hönö,

I get confused (not uncommon for me...Smiley Frustrated) here, should I or should I NOT use the Windows uninstall facility? FS themselves did not include it in their advice, so I'm inclined not to.