Manual scan freezes

When I do a manual scan, the computer freezes (mouse and keyboard unresponsive) at about 25% of scan. I need to switch off and re-boot. I have de-registered, uninstalled and re-installed. The freeze happens if I switch off Deep Guard and scanning of compressed files. It also freezes when I run the on-line scanner from the web site. A Malwarebytes scan completed successfully with no major issues. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

With one of technology preview release-notes was some information about incompatibility with ASUS AI Suite 3;

Just as random ask - does your experience can be about such certain known trouble?

If no -> maybe good to know points like:

- System OS / platform;

- does can be any other security solutions or software with potential reasons for such view?

- does it happened about certain visible file/item (during scan);

- by manual scan -> did you mean "Virus scan" from UI and/or Full Scan? And not any of manual scans (like by context-scan: rightclick for file/folder). And maybe does it switch step between memory scan (as scanned items was with 'pid').

Thanks!

• phende
    phende Posts: 5 Explorer

Thanks for responding. I am on a PC with Windows 10 - the build before the Anniversary Update but with all recent updates applied. I was scanning from the UI, not the full scan. (Not sure how to do that.) The freeze does not appear to be on one particular file - it is a different file name each time but I think all were labelled pid (just done another - stopped at SpeechRuntime.exe [pid: 7332]

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Thanks for your answer. Just because - I'm also only F-Secure user (their home solutions) - my suggestions can be only as unofficial ones.

I able to place next points and feelings:

--> Maybe there is indeed some kind of trouble with F-Secure (recent builds). Because F-Secure Community with some of topics about such concern (after switch to Ultralight-design of F-Secure stable solutions):

With my own systems - I did not meet this 'freezes' as global impact to system (except small delay between Memory Scan and Filesystem scan - ?! or something like this);

So, I'm not sure what can be a reason (except that it should be possible to investigate).

And maybe possible to create fsdiag and then to contact direct F-Secure Support Channels (chat as example):

Maybe good to re-check that there is not a temporary (!?) freeze. How long it possible to see (?!) - what if it thirty minutes/hour of freeze (?!). Like overload.

Also trouble should be valid for "Full Scan" too (possible to trigger it by -> Main UI : Tools-tab : Scan Settings-item as first of them : "Full Scan"-entry/option). If not - strange.

As it was noted with previous my reply (about potential compatibility troubles with "ASUS AI Suite 3") -> maybe good to look for some potential applications (running at background!?). What if some of them possible to 'disable'/turn off temporary and check if it can be helpful. If not -> good to receive official F-Secure attention. Maybe it will be with workhours/days. Or as part of experience with direct F-Secure Support channels.

Sorry for long reply.

Thanks! 

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info