Family Rules on Android: Exceptions for certain apps

I protect my children´s phone with family rules, especially with time limits. But the limits are blocking the complete phone (except calls and text-messages). Can I add some additional Apps to a exception list?

Comments

• Rob27
    Rob27 Posts: 2 New Member

This is sad, as with this functionallity you practically close the phone down, even mail is not accesible... The previous version using the possiblity to include/exclude specific apps into the timelimiting framework is much more preferred from my point of view. After all you may like to limit the use of game apps while still having some communication apps open for use even after the time limit is reached.

Another downside with this is that there are no limitiation to download things from appstore while you have time left, previously you had to approve as admin before the child could access the new download.

Sorry to say, this had significantly made this software out of order, it does not bring any significant use for "child protection" beside the block of websites, which also other competing software brings...

I truly hope you will be able to soon get an update which give a more "tailored" option to your "family rules".

Thanks.

• Laksh
    Laksh Posts: 4,224 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi @Rob27,

I understand your concern and there was a similar post here about this. The feedback has been highlighted to the SAFE team. Application control for SAFE Android will be introduced as a remote functionality on our product roadmap in next coming months.

• Rob27
    Rob27 Posts: 2 New Member

Thanks @Laksh for your feedback, the suggested post is spot on and reflect my views as well. Sorry I did not noticed it earlier.

Look forward to the mentioned remote functionality then very much.

• GeeBee
    GeeBee Posts: 1 New Member

Hope this will also become available for IOS, not just Android. We have been looking for this feature as well, to allow e.g. WhatsApp use, while restricting other apps as per time limit.

• TLa
    TLa Posts: 1 New Member

Few months have passed, any news/update on this issue? I cant find anything from the forums.

I'd love to setup some applications to be allowed while all others continue to be blocked by Family Rules.

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

TLa wrote:

Few months have passed, any news/update on this issue? I cant find anything from the forums.

I'd love to setup some applications to be allowed while all others continue to be blocked by Family Rules.

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I'm also only F-Secure user.

This kind of noted feature:

Application control for SAFE Android will be introduced as a remote functionality on our product roadmap in next coming months.

currently available with beta/technology-preview channel. some releases and with on-going fixes/checks. Maybe based on user's feedback (from beta-channel) it will be available for stable solutions more briefly.

Good if there will be official reply/response from F-Secure team.

Thanks!

• Laksh
    Laksh Posts: 4,224 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi @TLa,

F-Secure is improving parental controls ("Family Rules") and as part of that plan, Application control will be introduced completely re-designed by end of 2017.

Best Regards.
    F-Secure SAFE Team

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info