Thank you for an abysmal experience

gibsonm
gibsonm Posts: 4 Explorer

I invested $250 to protect 5 devices for 2 years.

Buying a a subscription to your "F-Secure TOTAL" product.

I receive an email with an activation code but no software.

I create an account which gives me access to your SAFE product, not F-Secure TOTAL.

I contact your support people.

The first person asks me to contact you again in 24 hours.

I contact you again today.

I spend 40+ mins allegedly "connected" and waiting for a technician.

Eventually that person does connect and offers to "show" me what is involved and asks for remote access. I grant it. He then starts installing software I didn't ask for ("SAFE" instead of "F-Secure TOTAL")> No explanation just off and running.

I power off the machine because i have nio idea what he intends to do.

I then decide is over and seek a refund.

I quote the order number and the person on the 'phone tells me I'm incorrect and that it will take 24 hours to sort it out.

Thanks for a "fun" 24 hours and I hope to never cross your door again (assuming the refund actually turns up).

Comments

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

F‑Secure TOTAL combines SAFE and the privacy app FREEDOME VPN into one subscription.   So, SAFE in F-Secure TOTAL is the same as in F-Secure SAFE, which is why the technician in your Chat session was attempting to install SAFE on your machine, and would presumably have then installed FREEDOME, if he had been given the chance.  

• gibsonm

Unfortunately nowhere on the web site is there a description that says:

F‑Secure TOTAL = SAFE + FREEDOME VPN

Nor did the person at any point say that before they started to install SAFE. The previous technician had removed SAFE (which I had installed for a trial).

I asked the 2nd person to explain what they were doing before they did it, but that did not happen.

If the email Receipt had come with a URL to download the product or perhaps some documentation it may have shed some light on that.

Hopefully the refund process is less painful than the "support" one.

• Laksh
    Laksh Posts: 4,224 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi gibsonm!

I appreciate you highlighting about your contact with our support team. As mentioned by @Simon, F-Secure Total combines F-Secure SAFE and F-Secure Freedome. Taking an excerpt from our Total webpage, 'F‑Secure TOTAL combines the award-winning security of SAFE and the easy-to-use privacy app FREEDOME VPN into one subscription. This gives you complete security and privacy on all your devices.'

I have also brought your case to the attention of our support team. If you would still like to proceed with the installation of SAFE and Freedome (which comes in Total), our support team will be able to help you with that as well. To know what is Total, there is an article which can be found here. We also have a Knowledge base of more articles regarding Total here; please have a look.

Sorry to hear about your experience. If you need any help, we are here.

• gibsonm

Good afternoon,

Unfortunatley none of the information in the first paragraph of your reply is on the Australian web site:

https://www.f-securestore.com.au/products/f-secure-total-security-and-privacy

Nor does the Australian site offer a downloadable trial.

I would have assumed that the details would be the same across sites, but anyway.

A table showing which products provided which service might also help and certainly a link to the Community Post would provide far more information.

Now that I have an understanding of what is involved and a downloadable installer that presumably includes a manual / documentation, I'll have a third attempt at using it.

• Laksh

Thanks for sharing this information, gibsonm! I will forward this internally. And glad to know you are giving it a try again!

Regarding the comparison table, you can check this article which shows the differences between the various F-Secure consumer products especially SAFE, Total and Freedome.

• gibsonm

Thanks for sharing the link to the table.

Unfortuantely its "buried" in the Community Forum.

I suspect a potential purchaser is unlikely to create an account here and then spend time searching for it on the off chance it exists.

If it were on the purchase page, then the person could review it before buying. :)

• Laksh

Hi gibsonm!

Just wondering if you had a chance to try Total again? Were you able to install SAFE and Freedome? If you need any help, please let us know!

This discussion has been closed.