FS Protection PC Release 158

This release contains following applications:

• Common Component Framework 2.58.275
  • Antivirus 14.158.100
  • Browsing protection 2.158 build 3754

Fixed issues

Common:

• Software upgrade not downloaded in rare configuration problem (CTS-97342)
  • User interface not opening after upgrade (CTS-97309)
  • User interface not opening from tray icon immediately after reboot (CTS-97298)
  • Tray icon context menu appears in wrong position (CTS-97280)

Antivirus:

• SAFE_BUG-01107: "Turn On" real-time protection from flyer does not work anymore (CTS-97318)
  • Virus removal requests originating from OAS alerts not double null terminated (CTS-97334)

Browsing Protection:

• Allowing blocked url + application keeps blocking (CTS-97301)
  • Unable to make payment to certain .gov.uk site when banking protection is on (CTS-97306)
  • Toast notifications not persistent in Windows Action center (CTS-97325)
  • Safe Search install prompt appears repeatedly (CTS-97353)
  • Potential information leak in browsing protection (CTS-97284)
  • Potential XSS through block page (CTS-97290)

Dropped features

Common:

• Uninstall simplified - you can no longer select what to remove
  • Windows XP support is ending soon. We no longer accept bug reports from Windows XP. This version still installs on XP.

F-Secure R&D, Desktop products

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my questions.

• User interface not opening from tray picture immediately after reboot (CTS-97298)
    • Tray picture context menu appears in wrong position (CTS-97280)
    • SAFE_BUG-01107: "Turn On" real-time protection from flyer does not work anymore (CTS-97318)

Does it mean that... next things should work:

-> When we goes to restart system and after.. when system is loaded... user interface should be opened immediately (with missing notification about "opening UI")? Or there about delay with loading UI before re-designed?

-> Place, where context menu is visible, should be differently with previous TP?

-> Flyer should turning on Real-time protection (as button or by choose it).

If yes... can be situation that current things does not work with Windows 10?

-> Or situation same (about first point) with previous TP/TPs;

-> Or it was OK before/same (as tray-picture context-menu-place) with previous TP;

-> Or it not work just with toast-notifications as known trouble from release-notes (about Real-time protection and flyer-turn-on).

And also.. if there some troubles around Uninstallation prompt... current point is known (as under construction) or there some kind of local situation?

Sorry for reply and not nice English.

Thanks.

• yeoldfart
    yeoldfart Posts: 556 Superuser

@zuko

why don't you just update and test by yourself ? on my side, upgrase done, smooth as ever, congats to the devs :)

not even a localization error to be found, even on accents for the french language. One precision: my OS is W10 x64 insider build 14257, no hiccups uninstalling, re-installing, updating, upgrading... Ukko don'tworry, it does work flawlessly.

I decidedly like you at F-S

Hello @Ukko

What happens after reboot (login to be precise) is that the user interface start is delayed by 30 seconds. This is to allow other applications load themselves faster. We only put tray icon visible to indicate to user that protection works (since it does not rely on user interface). If during that 30 second you click tray icon, it will force GUI to load faster but there will be visible delay before it opens.

The bug was that it did never open from tray icon during those 30 seconds. That is fixed, but there is still delay.

Tray menu for some users opened in incorrect place, behind system tray or far from the icon. That is fixed.

The toast notification does not have buttons, but if you click on it, it performs the default action (not 'Close'). So for the real-time protection flyer, toast performs "Turn on" action when clicked on. Older Windows versions use old flyers with buttons.

Regarding uninstallation dialog, it does not have localizations for other languages than English yet. Thanks for pointing it out. Localizations will be there for next release.

(F-Secure R&D)

• Ukko

--

"why don't you just update and test by yourself ? on my side, upgrase done...."

--

Hello,

Sorry if I wrong understood.

I have experience with upgrade/installed new TP already. Hour ago installed it. Than I briefly goes to look around.

Than (twenty minutes ago) I ask my questions about things... which I not really understand (because compared to release notes.. I can to think and have dreams with another view of how it looks like).

Such as.. or "not work".. or "I wrong understand how it should be work".

--

-- 

Hello,

Thanks for explanation!

Now I can to understand this points totally.

First point start be more "visible/clear" for me.

Second point I also can to repeat with some systems (but recently it was randomly OK with all of them).

Third point and toast (some time and I understand how it work with toast too).

So... it's mean that if my installation and toast-notification (I choose toast; and some of toasts work good - 'Scheduled scan skip', 'More information about detection'...) about "Real-time protection is disabled":

-.> happened.

- > I choose it... but Real-time protection did not back to "protection status" (Turn On status) with Windows 10...

There trouble? And in fact... it should work now?

""So for the real-time protection flyer, toast performs "Turn on" action when clicked on"" - probably this is.. steps, which I did (and tried some times).

I will go to try understand... maybe I did something wrong.

Sorry for my replies.

Thanks.

• yeoldfart
    @ Ukko
    sorry mate, me being french I may happen to misread or misunderstand you, so pls don't be angry at me :)

@Ukko

Yes, the "Turn on" should work from toast. Please file a bug report.

(F-Secure R&D)

• yeoldfart

now I gather what Ukko meant, I tested: same here, sorry

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

All installed fine here.  I like the inclusion of the Submit a Sample link in the Tools menu.  Not sure if that's new to this release, but is good to have handy.  :)

• yeoldfart

keep the idea of the seasonal deco in the gui e g cherries for the spring etc.

• yeoldfart

Hello

I made the statement today that any file flagged as "dangerous" is systematically erased, no such file is moved to quarantine This is a pia as it may condern useful safe files such as game trainers otherwise checked as safe.

My question is: have I missed to tick (unticked) some option ? is this a bug or is it made by design ?

thank you

• Ukko

Hello,

Sorry for my reply.

Probably there should not be any of "dangerous" (malicious) files (just files which marked as not possible to be cleaned by default. Usually "to clean" means quarantine). In my situation it most likely will be with some of type files, but some of other files will be placed under quarantine.

And potentially harmful software should to trigger prompt always (?) - such as.. spyware-category under FS Protection design.

I also can to think that it's can be wrong design (a little be). Because with recent changes... now we can to get situation, when not possible to restore "detected" files. AND in some situations it's can be simply "not visible" (missing information under notifications-list) as additional point for "missing under Quarantine".

As workaround I can to think about "tick"-option: "Automatically handle malicious file" under main UI settings for AV-module. By default - checked. As result when malicious filed detected by Real-time protection.. will be "default" action (can be quarantine/clean OR with zipped files can be "skip"/block probably).

But as example.... Scheduled scan detection can to work with another removal design.

With manual scan probably there should be prompt about "choose action".

So.. most likely.. that your situation (and my experience) potentially based on Real-time scanning.

And when there "Handly malicious file automatically" is unchecked.....  we just get prompt with available steps to take action about.

Sorry for reply... just... maybe FS Protection team can to answer just after a weekend. but we can to talk about it right now too. :)

• yeoldfart

Thank you Ukko

I'll try your wokaround with the same files, and tell you what happenned in "real time scanning"

bye

• yeoldfart

Hello Simon

It' certainly a good release, I only have somme difficulties to stop the AV for deleting "on the fly" files I dl,

I had to disable F-S to get my files until tey were eventually quarantined, I investigate further on that (see my post with Ukko).

• Ukko

Hello,

Little addition to "Real-time Protection toast / Turn ON action"-situation:

Recently I briefly check this with another system (not sure about certain status), where situation same with my experience. But I get steps (which work for any of my systems, where I try it) with another result too.

So.. when I talk that "Turn ON" did not work from toast... my steps next:

-> Open FS Protection Main UI.

--> Open Settings (for AV-module) and to disable Real-time Protection from "on" to "off" (by special button).

After this - changes comes from first. Real-time protection is disabled already.

---> Close Settings (for AV-module) as save (by "OK"-button).

----> Wait toast-notification (some seconds/minute) and "choose it".

Nothing as result. Real-time Protection still disabled.

So... STEPS, which will be as another result, where "Turn ON" WORK from toast, will be next:

Just missing this step: "---> Close Settings (for AV-module) as save (by "OK"-button)."

And if "Settings" is opened. When toat created and we choose it.... Real-time Protection back to protected status. As "Turn ON" work there.

Why it's anyway can be wrong (a little be), because maybe it same with "how it was before the fix".

Or anyway.... as example: "Windows Firewall is disabled"-toast with "Turn ON"-action work with any of steps. I mean - when Settings is closed  - feature work too. But there have UAC-ask for Windows Firewall disable/enable actions.

• Lord_Ami
    Lord_Ami Posts: 70 Active Engager

I've noticed that after update (general database update), "Not installed" is displayed for quite some time.

Is it to minimize resource usage or why it takes so long to install updates? Just curious :)

@Lord_Ami

Database updates once downloaded stay in the "not installed" state while they are processed (extracted and applied). For large databases (Aquarius) this may take some minutes. If they stay "not installed" for longer than 10 minutes, then there is a problem. Please create a bug report.

(F-Secure R&D)

• Lord_Ami

Okay, thanks!

No, there's no such "lag" in my experience. Takes a minute or two :)

• yeoldfart

I dunno what "quite some time is" but I did not notice a "lag" after an update, it may take a few minutes on a clean install, stay assured that the core protection is immediately on, which is what matters.

• Lord_Ami

By lag I do not mean computer lag but more so "time" lag. I haven't noticed that other AVs have a little delay after updating databases... That is why I asked :)

• yeoldfart

I was precisely talking about this AV taking some time between downloading updates and installing them, I think this is your point. I also experienced this quite often: one reestart of my rig consequently caused all pending updates to install.

hope this may help

This discussion has been closed.