Command Line Scan Leave C:\PROGRAM file in root of C:\ Drive!

Hello,

Have an intresting one.  It appears that at somepoint a Scheduled scan has initiated a command line Scan which

leaves a file  C:\PROGRAM in root of C:\ Drive!

Looking at the contenetns of the file it is obvious that it the log file of the scan and sould have been in a F-Secure log directory but the command was specified something lilke

C:\PROGRAM intel 386 f-secure\antivirius\logs\report.txt

When it ran it stripped everything off after the first space and dumped the report file in C:\PROGRAM

I would imagin if the command line option for this had be quoted like:

"C:\PROGRAM intel 386 f-secure\antivirius\logs\report.txt"

The all would have been good!

This came to light on the next re-boot when Win 7 checks detected the C:\PROGRAM file and complaied about it!

Does anyone know where I can check the command line settings for such scheduled commands? So I can see if I can change anything to make this work properly, or at least not leave rubbish files around in thye wronh places!

Rgs  Steve

Comments

• NikK
    NikK Posts: 903 Forum Champion

Don't know, but if I check inside my latest REPORT.TXT I can see the command line parameters it started with:

Command line: /HARD /POLICY /SCHED /REPORT=C:\PROGRA~1\F-SECURE\APPS\COMPUT~1\ANTI-V~1\REPORT.TXT

It seems it uses the 8.3 filename format(also called Short Filename "SFN") to specify where the report will be stored. Perhaps the problem has something to do with that.

To verify: Open a command prompt(cmd.exe) and change directory(cd) to the one with the report.txt file, then type command and press enter and you should see the 8.3 path. Example with the path on my PC:

C:\>cd C:\Program Files\F-Secure\apps\ComputerSecurity\Anti-Virus

C:\Program Files\F-Secure\apps\ComputerSecurity\Anti-Virus>command
    Microsoft(R) Windows DOS
    (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1990-2001.

C:\PROGRA~1\F-SECURE\APPS\COMPUT~1\ANTI-V~1>

This is only a guess. See the options to contact support below.

Give Kudos to say "thanks". Click "Accept as Solution" to inform others when your issue's been solved

Need more help? Submit a Support Request or chat with or call F-Secure support. Or try the User Guides

• sjgnet
    sjgnet Posts: 2

Hi NikK

What version of windows you running 'command' on?  I'm on windows 7 and the problem machine is also windows 7.

I can see the logic in you conclusion for 8.3 ver long file name formats. 

My windows 7 machine does not have the 'command' program on the cmd.exe line?

Actualy I'd be supprised if it did!

Can't try on offending PC as at a customers

Rgs

Steve

• NikK
    NikK Posts: 903 Forum Champion

Win 7 here too, but you probably have a 64-bit OS and I don't think that includes the old 16-bit MS-DOS command.com 

There is one way you can get 8.3 filenames from cmd.exe - if you do a dir command with /X parameter but it doesn't work for a path that includes multiple folders. So instead you could start cmd.exe and run this command, just replace the path inside the quote signs:

for %I in ("C:\Program Files\F-Secure\apps\ComputerSecurity\Anti-Virus") do echo %~sI

Output: C:\PROGRA~1\F-Secure\apps\COMPUT~1\ANTI-V~1

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info