F Secure Setup fails at License Terms screen with "Download Failed"

2»

Comments

• SC
    SC Posts: 20

Can any one help ?  Am I alone with F Secure won't work with XP ?  Has this been tested ?  Help Please

• NikK
    NikK Posts: 903 Forum Champion

I have actually no idea if .NET framework updates has anything to do with this problem or not, but you said that KB2835393 was the latest update, and from September. That update was actually released in July, and there are several other updates released even for XP after that one. That makes me think if you perhaps have a problem with Windows itself.

Are you able to install any other program at all? Just thinking if it could be a problem with the Windows Installer (4.5 is the latest for XP)

Besides that there are several Microsoft FixIt programs related to installation issues and problems with Windows Update, but I don't think you should run any of these if the problem only is related to installing the F-Secure product.

You could also verify that you had several new windows updates installed within the last 2 days. Check the Windows Update history to see if Windows Update is working as it should.

The biggest difference with OnlineScanner it that it's a single executable file, not an installer. It's a big difference! That's why I think you should try and install any other program just to see if it's perhaps a general problem with installing applications. I've actually had that problem once and re-installing the Windows Installer solved the problem.

There are other users running XP with no problem including SAFE customers coming from Virgin Media. The general problem for VM customers was that VMS was not completely removed which caused errors when installing F-Secure, but after running the specific VMS Removal Tool it installed OK.

Note that Microsoft soon is ending its support for XP including all security updates. I would not recommend continue using XP after April 8.

http://community.f-secure.com/t5/Security/Running-Windows-XP-Microsoft/td-p/44791

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Sorry if you already did it, but I not totally understand that points:

- what about "uninstallation tool" by F-Secure (or by F-Secure; or Virgin Media supported by F-Secure)

It's another tool, which need to download and use it after uninstallation by default-steps (in Windows Control Panel) by hand - if it's have something here;

- what about "firewall"? it's totally no one except default Windows Firewall?

And what mean "not running" - can it's mean that "installed, but turn off/not running" another firewall (not a default by Windows);

------------------

Simply that two points..... more commonly troubles with installing in Windows XP for F-Secure;

First point - it's can break new installation - if something wrong; Probably.... it's can be another programs (before) - which can to clean by utilities (it's can be previously antviriuses or another protect-programs);

And except "cleaning" - also can to help clean by F-Secure Uninstallation Tool;

Second point - if in system have another firewall (not by Windows as default) - it's can blocking downloading/installation/verification for F-Secure; Anyway; It's can be without any hard steps; It's just can be;

--------------------------------------

If you already have experience about F-Secure Uninstallation Tool; And system without any firewalls (except default Windows) in status "installed"; Or another same programs  - I need to say "sorry!" , because take your time.

--------------------------------------

It's mean except all previously tips and recommends... can just give suggestions like:

- maybe trouble in another configure with network connection (as router-firewall or some kind of); also some points already was here about it too;

- what about viruses in system?

Try to use F-Secure Rescue CD for scan system in that way;

Scan by F-Secure Online Scanner - maybe not enough; Just because it's can break in that case or simply "be very quite" for ignore any false-positive;

Maybe need something more...

-----------------------------------------

And both two "points" can be in case, when F-Secure Online Scanner launched.

In my experience  - trouble in firewall more often to meet with Windows XP and same installers; It's mean - if firewall not default by Windows - just turn off - can be not enough in some case.

Also as else one variant:

Can you try to install trial version F-Secure IS - not by or "as Virgin Media costumer";

If it's possible - just from official page about F-Secure Internet Security in official website - check a "trial version" and try to install it.

------

Also forget to ask:

- what about any virtual program in system - such as famous VirtualBox (and same) or another "way"-program as "Shadow Defender" (and same)?

Or another things, which can be work in system with same behavior or "previously" was.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee
    Hi SC!

Since there haven't been any recent comments from you, so can you tell us if you are still having these problems?

Thanks!

// Chrissy
  • SC

Hi Chrissy,

I have been dealing with customer care at F Secure recently; they have been a bit more responsive since my moan on this forum.  However, they have still not sorted this out and I am getting very fed up.

All I want to do is install their anti virus program, it can't be that difficult can it ?

Thanks.

• NikK

SC, it seems you have encountered a very unusual problem. That's why I think you should:

1. Verify that Windows Update is up-to-date.

2. Verify that you can install any other program.

As I mentioned before, your latest update for the .NET Framework is in fact not the latest update. So I suspect it might be a Windows problem. See my previous post for more info.

3. One more thing you could try is to change the value(checkbox) for Do not save encrypted pages to disk in Internet Explorers Advanced settings. I've read about strange cases where some users needed to enable this setting in order be able to download files over HTTPS, even though the normal thing is to not have this setting enabled for that to work.

• SC

Hi,

I have just downloaded and installed the latest .NET framework for XP, but that didn't fix my problem.  I can install other programs for instance I installed the latest ITunes update all OK.

My latest Windows Automatic update was on the 7 Feb 2014.  However I did try to manually install windows updates using the "express" button and I got an error [Error number: 0x80090008].  Is this relevant ?

Thanks

• NikK

Ok.

I "think" you should have Windows Updates from latest "patch tuesday"(11 Feb) but I'm not sure. It's not that easy to check for only XP.

Can't say if the error is relevant or not, but when you run Windows Update manually on XP it requires Administrator rights. Even if you're logged in as Administrator, programs like Microsofts DropMyRights can restrict that for example when a browser is launched. If you don't have any such restrictions program and you're already running as Admin, then I suggest you post in a Microsoft forum. Here's an old example about the exact same problem.

(hopefully the automatic windows update still work and this is only a manual error)

Did you try my 3rd advice with changing the setting Do not save encrypted pages to disk?

Also I recommend you scan your computer with these two scanners as sometimes strange errors can be caused by infections:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/

https://www.malwarebytes.org/free/

• NikK

SC, any progress? Did you try my suggestions?

Where did F-Secure go? The support ID is 00118221 and @kvick was going to check it out but hasn't logged in for 2 weeks.

Anyone else, @Ben? It's been more than 4 weeks now and F-Secure still won't install Smiley Embarassed   I've tried contributing with general Windows troubleshooting in case it's not only related to F-Secure, because I don't have any more suggestions for this error.

Thread summary:

• XP SP3, SAFE through Virgin Media
    • When launching the installer and asked to select language and then clicks install button: "Download failed. Check that your network connection is working and try again"
    • No other security software running
    • FS log says: (FILE) FileAccess https://666.spi.f-secure.com/packaging/services/spi/stubconfiguration?operatorId=666&version=55 -> 'E:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\F-Secure\MySA\Downloads\stubconf.xml' (0 retries) [HTTP 0][Win32 2148073480] in 266ms (0 bytes -> 0kB/s)
    • The above https url is accessible from the same PC when manually testing it in the browser
    • @Ville thinks it's a "problem with crypto library verifying the SSL connection"
    • Followed supports advice to set IE as default browser, reset Internet Options, flush DNS, verified TCP/IP settings
    • Verified that OnlineScanner works (although it's not an "installer" and perhaps doesn't say much)
    • Verified that it's not a general Windows problem with installing applications
    • Not fully determined but it might be a problem with Windows Update, at least when trying to run it manually
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hello NikK,

Thank you for the follow up.

Our teams are still working on the problem on the support ticket mentioned.

• SC

Hi,

Thanks for the interest.  I have still no solution.  The helpdesk team will ring me on Friday (28/2) and do a remote diagnosis.  In the mean time I have downloaded Microsofts Security Essentials to protect my PC. I'll let you know if I get it fixed.

Again can I thank you  all for your hekp and support on this; if we were face to face as people, I would shake your hands,

Thanks

• SC

Just to let everyone know that I still have no solution to this problem.

I have dealt with two very nice people from the call centre, in Mayalasia I think, and it is quite a slow process.

It is all very frustrating.

I am now very tempted to use another anti virus program.

• NikK

I can totally understand that!

But I have to point out once again that even with a different anti-virus product you are taking a risk considering that Microsoft is ending the support for Windows XP which means no more Windows Updates!!

Microsoft doesn't recommend using XP after April 8, 2014: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/end-support-help

F-Secure recommends the same:

F-Secure highly recommend customers to update their operating systems and use only Windows versions that receive security updates from Microsoft. The latest operating system version always provides the best protection technologies, are fully maintained by the vendor and receive timely security updates and improvements. F-Secure cannot guarantee the best protection and performance for customers running Windows XP after April 8th, 2014. This is because malware can use vulnerabilities in the operating system that are no longer fixed by Microsoft

From: http://community.f-secure.com/t5/End-point/Support-for-Microsoft-Windows-XP/td-p/42073  

"As for the security mitigations that Windows XP Service Pack 3 has, they were state of the art when they were developed many years ago.  But we can see from data published in the Microsoft Security Intelligence Report that the security mitigations built into Windows XP are no longer sufficient to blunt many of the modern day attacks we currently see.  The data we have on malware infection rates for Windows operating systems indicates that the infection rate for Windows XP is significantly higher than those for modern day operating systems like Windows 7 and Windows 8"

From: http://blogs.technet.com/b/security/archive/2013/08/15/the-risk-of-running-windows-xp-after-support-ends.aspx

So you could say that XP is already a bad OS from a security perspective because it's old. And now with the support ending, it will be much worse!

So take my advice and switch to Windows 7 or 8 instead. And hopefully you won't run into any more weird installation problems like this one.

Best of luck to you!

• SC

Thanks for the reply, glad someone out their is listening.

My old windows 2000 laptop is running fine, no issues at all.  When you buy something, you don't expect it to run out of date.  When Joseph Bazalgette invented the sewere system for London he built it to last an it is still in operation today.  My oven cooker made by Parkingson is still ruuning fine.  My old Ford Cortina built in 1975 still starts first time.  Why should I sucome to the modern software companies that deberately put these money making time bombs in place.  I am sick of having to buy software to make someone very rich.

To make matter worse, I am now down to 10 months of my 12 month contract with  Fsecure and have no cover.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just in a bad mood.

I'll cool down in the morning.

• Bayani
    Bayani Posts: 58 Enthusiast

Hello SC,

Just wanted to follow up this case to check if the issue is solved. Did you get a solution to it and is it working now? If not, could you please provide a case number or email address so we can investigate further?

• NikK

@Bayani 

You can find the support ID as well as a thread summary here:

http://community.f-secure.com/t5/Security/F-Secure-Setup-fails-at-License/m-p/46059/highlight/true#M8439

But I suspect SC went on and got a different AV when all the remote assistance attempts by Support failed.

• SC

Hi,

The issue isn't solved unfortunately.  The latest update from the support guys is that they found a certificate which was dated 2016, dispite my control panel settings showing the correct time.

I went on holiday and couldn't reply within the alotted time, so I think they may have cancelled this query.

Regards

• NikK

Hi there,

Sounds like progress, so very unfortunate that the case has auto-closed just because you were on holiday and couldn't reply in time.

@Ben  @Bayani  Can you re-open the support issue? The ID is XXXXXXX

• Frisjo
    Frisjo Posts: 47 Enthusiast

Hello NikK. 

Sorry for a late reply. 

Your support case is open and under investigation, We ask kindly for your patience and you will be contacted via the case. 

Br 

Johan

• SC

Hello All,

Here's an update on a very frustating year of trying to install F-Secure on my XP machine.  Finally after about 8 months in September I got referred by FSecure to do an update from Microsoft by which time XP support had finished.  If I they had told me that at the beginning in January this year all would have been OK. So whart do I do ?  Well after months of no replies I have upgraded to Win 7 and requested if my 12 month trial be reset so I may at last  try out their s/w.    I got no reply.  A few weeks later I asked again, no reply.  One last time I asked again, yet no reply.

So they don't care about me any more....

What more can I say....

Disappointing !

Think I am going to use Microsoft Security Essentials or Norton Anti virus.

:-(

• SC

Hi,

F-Secure refused to reset my 12 month trial.  This is because when I tried to download their software and it wouldn't work, I tried to download it on my daughters laptops to test if it would download, one was Vista one was Win7.  It did download on those OSs but not on XP.   After 10+ months they decided  that I was taking the micky, as I can been using it, but I hadn't.  My daughters laptops were covered by Norton anyway !

It is just not fair....I have genuinely been a victcim of circumstance.

It has been a very stressfull and regretable year.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info