Folder being hidden after an item found by F-Secure quarantined

I recently installed F-Secure on my Win7 64bit PC. When I scan my PC it finds an "adaware " item that it suggests should be quarantined. If I do that and reboot my PC I find the "applications" folder in c:/user/peter/applications becomes hidden. If I restore my computer to an earlier time the folder becomes visible again but the "adaware" is back. Why is F-Secure hiding this folder?

Comments

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser
    Not sure if I'm missing something, and I know this doesn't answer the question exactly. but can you not just go into Folder Options and re-select 'Show hidden files and folders', if it's been de-selected?
  • Yes I can do that but as you say it doesn't answer the question as to why F-Secure hides the folder. I find it a bit disconcerting that the programme can arbitrarily change my set up.

• What I failed to mention is that the folder isn't just hidden, I always have "show hidden folders" enabled, it is hidden under "protected operating system files"

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

Sorry, it's not something I've noticed, or can answer.  If you don't get any further responses here, I can only suggest you raise a Support Ticket and ask F-Secure about it.  Maybe it's supposed to do it for additional protection?  dunno.gif

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Met same situation too (and it's not just trouble with F-Secure programs and can be more worst examples);

It's happened after cleaning or "cure it". For that need detection in some "critical" points; For example, "high risk"-malware or "suspicious and risk-placement" - or another things;

Some kind of "cleaning-steps" / "cure it" break to "default" some settings (like "hidden folders" and some another can be too);

What certainly create that - I can't to say - but probably it's "system functions", which using in F-Secure program during cleaning system after troubles with malware/viruses/another (which created infection or suspicious behavior with potential infection);

Locally - it's not good, but can be very helpful in situations, where detected "so high" malware and "actions" by that malware - which can to clean in system just with that behavior.

It's also not answer - probably tomorrow something from F-Secure team answered here too...

Just that behavior create some troubles for me too (and it's not just F-Secure program behavior - most part of programs, which can to cure or to clean system after infection; not just "to delete" malware-program);

• Thank you Ukko. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who has experienced this problem. I hope the F-Secure technical department can shed some light on this matter.

• Janiashvili
    Janiashvili Posts: 454 Adventurer
    Yeah, I have reported that few years ago in Beta program, but I mentioned it among few different things I guess and none took notice...
  • I've given up trying to find an answer.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hello all,

I'll try to shed some light on the matter.

In order to do some cleanup in system folder, our products sometimes need to change the rights of the given folder.

Once the cleanup is finalized, f-secure will try to revert the rights of the folder to their original state.

It happens that sometimes the rights are reverted to default. This is unfortunately a side effect of cleaning up some system folder with non-default rights. 

• Thank you Ben for that explanation. Unfortunately the default rights of the particular folder in question is for it not to be hidden!

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info