cant scan pc

Until a couple of weeks ago  I weekly performed a full scan but now when I click the button nothing happens. Sorry I'm not a techy person so hope you can understand my problem.  It does tell me that all the security is working and its updated. 

Comments

• Blackcat
    Blackcat Posts: 503 Influencer

Hi moominelly

When you say nothing happens do you mean that when clicking on the Scan button of the main Window of Computer Security it does not take you to the next Scan Wizard Window?

SnapCrab_NoName_2014-1-3_22-16-31_No-00.png

SnapCrab_NoName_2014-1-3_22-17-57_No-00.png

Have you tried any other on-demand scans apart from a FULL one?

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

Umm... so, if you open the Launch Pad by double clicking the F-Secure icon, then click Computer Security and hit the Scan button, you don't get the screen up with the scan progress?  What happens if you go to Computer Security > Tools > Advanced Scan, and choose one of those options?

On the main Computer Security screen, does it say that all security features are up to date, like this:

Untitled-1.png

Have you recently installed any other anti-virus or other security programs on the machine?

Is Windows Updates up to date?  Go to Start > Control Panel > Windows Updates to check, and install any pending updates.

If you need more help, we'll need to know which version of Windows you're on, and whether you have the latest version of F-Secure.  :)

Edit: Blackcat beat me to it this time.  Smiley Very Happy

• Blackcat

I cannot let these youngsters beat an old man all the time! Smiley Tongue

• Yes have done what you say usually do the advanced scan but when I click on the button nothing happens and it shows as in your reply that it's working
  • Simon
    So, have you installed any other anti virus or security software on the machine recently?

Have you checked Windows Updates?

The next thing I would suggest is to re-install F-Secure and see if that helps.
  • NikK
    NikK Posts: 903 Forum Champion

Does it work if you open a Windows Explorer, right-click on any file, and select "Scan filename for Viruses"?

That is the same scanner, only started in a different way. If that should work then it must be a problem in the user interface for Computer Security. 

• Ok had an idea that would be the solution as not installed any other anti virus software. Thank you for your help.
  • Will try that first though don't really understand what your saying but will have a go. It's very difficult for us non techy folk to understand the jargon...have pity on us we do try xx
  • Simon
    Nik is just trying to establish whether it's the virus scanner itself that is kaput, or the controls (scan buttons) on the Computer Security screen that are suppose to start the scanner working. A bit like whether it's the bulb or the light switch. Smiley Wink

But reinstalling might be your easiest option to try.
  • WM
    WM Posts: 2

I am having similar issues. The status icon (near the clock) has a red circle with a white X in it, the hover tooltip says "Virus & Spy Protection: Malfunction" Attempts to perform manual scan of a file using the right click, scan for virus does not launch any thing, also from the f-secure window requesting scan or full scan does not do anything. Tthe F-Secure status indicates that the signatures are up to date, clicking on the check for updates returns that it is already up to date.

Here is the content of "about"
    F-Secure Internet Security 2011 10.51 build 106

F-Secure Anti-Virus 9.30 build 16400
    F-Secure Automatic Update Agent 8.25 build 4095
    F-Secure User Interface 9.50 build 7559
    F-Secure Management Agent 8.15 build 35003
    F-Secure Parental Control 8.50 build 15480
    F-Secure E-mail filtering 1.02 build 7480
    F-Secure Network connections 6.27 build 106
    F-Secure Email Scanner 6.00 build 466
    F-Secure DeepGuard 3.00 build 171
    F-Secure Online Help 2.00 build 1480
    F-Secure Customization IS 10.50.01
    F-Secure Sidebar Gadget 1.00 build 192
    F-Secure Service News 1.00 build 140
    F-Secure Browsing Protection/SW 1.10 build 5852
    F-Secure Browsing Protection/ES 1.10 build 1039

• Blackcat

@moominelly 

Are you running that latest version of F-Secure Home or Business?

Latest Business versions here; http://www.f-secure.com/en/web/business_global/support/downloads

If you have the Home version of Internet Security, right-click on the tray icon and with ABOUT you should see the following;

SnapCrab_NoName_2014-1-4_10-8-17_No-00.png  

And if you take a look at "View my subscriptions" (right-click tray icon again) you should see the following;

SnapCrab_NoName_2014-1-4_10-11-49_No-00.png

• Managed to uninstall F-secure after using the tool on another post as it didnt work first time. Installed again using Google Chrome browser and its all working. Fingers crossed it keeps working.   

• Blackcat

@moominelly,

Did you install the latest version of F-Secure IS?

Glad to see that you seem okay now.

• Simon
    Good to hear. Fingers crossed! Smiley Wink
  • Oh crumbs have no idea if its latest version... its different in that I have 4 boxes to choose from when I open it before I had only 3????

• NikK
    NikK Posts: 903 Forum Champion

The latest version has 5 boxes:

launchpad_new.png

Right-click the F-Secure icon in the bottom right corner of your desktop/screen, and click "About" from the pop-up menu, like this:

FSabout.png

At the top of the window that opens it will show a version number. The latest is:

F-Secure 1.99 build 192

If you have a lower version than the above, you can upgrade by going to the Downloads page and click the Download button for F-Secure Internet Security 2014.

• Simon
    If you downloaded the installer from the website, it should have installed the latest version. :)
  • WM
    WM Posts: 2

@Blackcat wrote:

Hi WM,

First, I would upgrade to the latest version of F-Secure IS,  the 2014 versionhttp://www.f-secure.com/en/web/home_global/support/installers

Thanks, I will try installing the current version and let you know if it cures the problem.
    Edit update - the installation went smooth and fixed the problems. Scans now run. Thanks again.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info