How can I tell if antivirus is working

Hi I'm a new user to F-secure following Virgin Media's change from their own branded antivirus.  Had quite a few problems downloading what with removing Virgin's antivirus and Norton which was supposed ot have been wiped when Virgin's antivirus was loaded.  Well all thats behind now and I have F-secure on my lap top which is running Vista.

The problem I have is that I am not sure if F-secure is running or not, Windows Security Alerts is telling me I have no Antivirus when it had previously not displayed this with virgin's antivirus.  When I  click F-Secure from the icons in the bottom right hand corner I only show two F-secure boxes, one for SEARCH and the other for F-Secure, is this correct ?

Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to use the PC if its not protected.

Comments

• Gwyn
    Gwyn Posts: 4

I am a noobie too and installed the software as Virgin Media advised,  however the link does not explain how to use the anivirus check or if the antivirus is working or not.   How do we use this?

• NikK
    NikK Posts: 903 Forum Champion

If you previously had Virgin Media Security, chances are that it hasn't been completely removed. That might lead to strange behavior when using F-Secure. The link explains how to use an additional removal tool to solve that.

A functional F-Secure should show something like this when you launch F-Secure or click the F-Secure icon in the systray(bottom right corner of your desktop):

launchpad.png

Clicking Computer Security will show your protection status. And there you also have options to start different kinds of scans.

To verify if your anti-virus is working properly, try this safe and harmless test file: http://www.f-secure.com/virus-info/eicar.com

If your anti-virus works you should see a message like this:

eicartest.png

• Gwyn

Mantthanks for this... i see the panel below but have different options

I do not see Computer Security  and instead I have Search.  Does this mean the tool has not been installed correctly?

• Stephan
    Stephan Posts: 340 Influencer

Hello Gwyn and Marty,

With Computer Security not installed, Windows is actually right, you are not protected.

I assume, the installation failed partially. This might be caused by previous/current other Anti-Virus software installed.

Could you please remove all other Anti-Virus software (such as the previous Virgin Media Security) and give the installation another try?

If you run into the same issue again, please contact us. We'll be able to assist.

Best regards,

Stephan

• Blackcat
    Blackcat Posts: 503 Influencer

Once correctly installed you can try some of the check tests here at AMTSO; http://www.amtso.org/feature-settings-check.html to check that F-Secure SAFE is working properly.

Further, trying to access the following site; http://unsafe.fstestdomain.com/ will test that the F-Secure Online Safety plugin is working.

• Thanks NikK, on checking back through the link you posted was able to unistall all of virgin media's anto virus files and now show all the F-Secure options.  As expected the Windows Security alert is not showing anymore so antivirus is up and running.

• Blackcat

@Marty007,

An up-to-date F-Secure SAFE, if it contains the latest release of F-Secure IS 2014, should show 6 blue boxes in the Launch Pad;

the 4 above shown in NikK's post and ones for F-Secure Key and Search.

SnapCrab_F-Secure_2014-1-2_13-58-14_No-00.png

• Stephan
    Stephan Posts: 340 Influencer

Thanks Blackcat for the screenshot!

Just a small addition: F-Secure Key is not bundled with SAFE. It is a separate product, which you can install for free.

More info here.

Cheers,
    Stephan

• Gwyn

Still not working for me and no been waiting for an engineer to chst for the last half an hour!

Not impressed so far!

• NikK

If you didn't follow the advice from the first link, to use an additional removal tool for Virgin Media Security, here it is:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Internet-security/Virgin-Media-Security-10-FAQ/td-p/910393

• Gwyn
    Hi NikK I have done all I can on the link you gave and still nothing so that's why I am waiting... I have used the tools in the link to remove everything and also restated several times ... Any ideas?
  • NikK

If you haven't re-installed F-Secure after using VMS uninstall tools, give that a try.

• Later
    Later Posts: 1

I have a similar problem in that when I run the free F secure health check program,  it tells me that NO  antivirus program is found  and that my computer is not protected.

But I have the Virgin media F secure package and its up to date

I tested it using the methods suggested above and I think it is working and that the health check program is wrong.

I guess the only way to know is to wait for a real virus......

• annette36
    annette36 Posts: 5 Observer

I have today removed the Virgin Security but I joined F-Secure at the beginning of December 2013.  Is my computer secure?

• NikK

@Later 

If you mean you tested with the eicar testfile and that was detected, then everything should be fine.

If you didn't test Browsing Protection(part of Online Safety) test it here: http://unsafe.fstestdomain.com/ if it's working you should see a message that the website was blocked.

I think Health Check hasn't been updated in a long while and doesn't work properly. I know at least 3 other threads with questions about it, but still no replies from F-Secure after over 1 month Smiley Sad

http://community.f-secure.com/t5/Security/F-Secure-Health-Check/m-p/36325

http://community.f-secure.com/t5/News-and/Free-Tools-need-updating-to-be/td-p/36353

http://community.f-secure.com/t5/News-and/Health-Check-needs-updating/td-p/37683

• NikK

@annette36 wrote:

I have today removed the Virgin Security but I joined F-Secure at the beginning of December 2013.  Is my computer secure?

You removed Virgin Media Security today, but "joined" F-Secure a month ago. Not sure what you mean.

When you click the F-Secure icon in the bottom right corner of the screen(in the "systray"), do you see something like this?

launchpad.png 

This has 4 buttons. You should see either 4 or 5 buttons.

If you click "Computer Security" you'll se your protection status.

If you don't see "Computer Security" you need to run an additional removal tool for VMS, UserCommunity-Uu-RpsUU.exe  Instructions here:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Internet-security/Virgin-Media-Security-10-FAQ/td-p/910393

• annette36

I joined F-Secure following a request from Virgin Media that their service was stopping.  Does this mean I have "lost" a months security from F-Secure because I didn't wait until today to get rid of it?

I have no visual checks and have followed the Virgin Media instructions and uninstalled their security.  I then restarted my computer but still nothing on my screen.  

• NikK

I can't answer if you "lost" a month or not. I think first we need to know more:

When you say joined, do you mean you only registered or logged in to F-Secure SAFE ? Or did you also proceed with installing the F-Secure product? Just wanna make sure if you really have installed the F-Secure product or not. I think it's not clear from your description.

Watch this video and see if you can recall doing the same thing as in the video:

http://community.f-secure.com/t5/Security-for-PC/How-to-install-security-products/ta-p/35115

• annette36

Thank you.  I now have an icon!  So although F-Secure home screen says that I downloaded to my PC and tablet on the 2nd December it would appear that it was not successful.  I now have only 332 days left, not a full year.  Can this be changed please so that I now get a full year?

• muzz
    muzz Posts: 6

Hey blackcat.

Both your links show as "Blocked. This website has been proven as harmful".

I'm really tearing my hair out over this F-secure replacement for my Virgin Security.

My 4 options are "Online Safety", "Safe Profile", "Search", & "F-Secure".

The "Computer Security" icon does not show.

• muzz

I don't have the "Computer Security" option.

I have "Online Safety" showing instead.

What can I do?

When I click on that, it tells me that "harmful sites are blocked" & "Banking protection is on".

And there is a "Settings" link on that page.   If I click on that, a box comes up asking about downloading "F-Secure settings".

Should I click on that?

• muzz

Hey Blackcat. That was a quick response. Thank you !

Yeah, I did originally start a thread asking about my problem, but someone responded & sent me links to similar threads with some other folk's similar questions & I found myself responsing to those as well (like I did yours). Sorry about that.

Anyway, it seems that I HAD uninstalled Virgin completely, it was just that (like you say) F-Secure has not installed properly.

So I uninstalled it & re-installed it.  Was a bit difficult trying to find my original link from Virgin to get to it so that it was free, but I found it & did it. As it was loading I could see it saying "installing Computer Security" etc etc) which I didn't get the previous time.

So I now have the 5 boxes as shown in your pic & I'm relieved that I am covered.

Thank you for helping me.  I was getting in a panic.

All the best.   Deryck

• Blackcat

Hi Deryck,

good to hear you are finally up and running. Hope you like F-Secure.

• This looks like the worst antivirus set up on earth, I can even get my subs key to send it to another pc, no help at all going to cancel

• Siltanen
    Siltanen Posts: 61 Former F-Secure Employee

Hello Darrenwigan,

Could you specify a bit more what is the issue you're having with F-Secure software?

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info