Release uninstalled subscription Device ID

I have several multi-computer FS Internet Security subscriptions for my 10+ computers at home (along with Eset, Symantec, Bitlocker, Comodo, and some other software I'm testing).   I also buy, configure and/or support at least a dozen computers for my extended family and friends - nearly all of them with their own FS Internet security subscriptions.  Up to now, FS is my preference for user-friendliness, as well as being effective.

Several months ago, I uninstalled an FS-IS 2013 installation from a 3-computer subscription on an old box, to free up an installaton for my wife's new laptop.   However, I was unable to reuse the subscription key (as I had done many times before), as the validation indicated that all valid subscriptions were already being used - the uninstallation had not freed the slot in F-Secure's system.  I was able to reuse a much older 5-user subscription key that still had a slot left.

Now, the 5-user subscription is expring, and my requests to F-secure support only receive replies with useless tier-1 uninstallation instructions.  How can I continue to use the F-Secure I have already paid for?

Comments

• NikK
    NikK Posts: 903 Forum Champion

I'm not sure but I think uninstall may not be enough for this. Next time try running this after uninstall:

http://community.f-secure.com/t5/Security/F-Secure-Uninstallation-Tool/td-p/31265

Can someone else confirm this?

Anyway, it shouldn't be a problem even if all licenses are already in use. You can move licenses:

http://community.f-secure.com/t5/Security/reinstallation-amp-key/m-p/35467/highlight/true#M6473

Give Kudos to say "thanks". Click "Accept as Solution" to inform others when your issue's been solved
    Need more help? Submit a Support Request or chat / call F-Secure support
  • NikK

Correction about Uninstallation tool: It does NOT notify the license server as it's a forced uninstall.

So forget the Uninstallation Tool and go for move licenses (2nd link in above post)

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

I concur - when you install, and input the subscription key, I believe it asks at that point if you wish to move a license from another machine.

• LB
    LB Posts: 3

Thanks for the reply.  I gather this means I need to do an uninstall and then reinstall on the new laptop?  I don't remember being given that move option when I first made the installation, but I'll try it.

Also, I'm guessing that I'll have to choose the device ID to move.  I didn't record it before the uninstall, and there's no trace of it in the uninstalled machine's registry.  So, I'll have to use process of elimination to choose between two I can't account for (one may be on my daughter's laptop, but she's still away at school and has better things to do than answer her dad).

• NikK

Ville, thanks for explaining. But still some what confusing I think, especially "the licenses may switch around"

With "different lengths" I assume you mean Expire dates.

Isn't any license always linked to a subscription key with an Expire date?

If so, how is it possible to end up with licenses with "different lengths" for one subscription key?

• Simon
    My interpretation of that was, if for example, a license was 'taken' from a machine that then turned out to be still still active, when that machine was next turned on, it's license would again 'switch', so eventually, the non-active machine would be de-licensed. Does that make sense?

@Nikk, you can have different length subscriptions if you enter multiple different keys (at different times). Then the end dates would be different depending on which key the subscription came from.

@Simon, you are very close to how the algorithm works. Smiley Wink

F-Secure R&D, Desktop products

• NikK

Thanks guys! I understand now why I didn't get it - I've actually never added a new subscription key before the old one expires, so I have total control of my licenses. And the only reason for that is to avoid any confusion it might cause Smiley Wink

• Simon
    Even if you add a new subscription key before the old one expires, I believe the new one won't activate until the old one finishes, so you don't lose out by re-licensing early (ie, when the nag screens start!). Smiley Wink
  • LB
    LB Posts: 3

All, I had major success of a sort on all fronts. As I was preparing to uninstall and reinstall FS-IS-2014 last night while my wife was (finally) out for an extended period, my daughter e-mailed me with her device ID, and I found that F-Secure support had finally responded to my (3rd, 4th?) request (before my original post), and had e-mailed me notifying that they had released all the licenses under my customer ID.  (A very polite and apologetic response too, to their credit).

As my wife's computer booted-up, the "nag screen" had changed a little, and I was notified that I had unused subscriptions.  I was prompted to apply an unused licence seat.  The system authomatically selected one with an extended expiration. I then checked the used licenses, and noted that my daughter's device ID was also already populated with an extended expiration seat (she didn't say she had to do anything, but there might have been some interaction on her end, or it might have simply automatically populated during the update authentication). I still have a seat left (my wife's old laptop, that hardly ever gets booted anymore wasn't populated), so I can now uninstall that (off-line) and apply a valid FS license to another computer - (that I haven't bought yet Smiley Happy

I thought for a minute about making a "science project" of the evening through reinstalling F-Secure to some unused boxes and applying all the licenses again to see how they moved around, and if/how I was offered the chance during installation, but I decided to declare victory instead and do something else ;-)

So, I don't really know 100% for sure that your uninstall/reinstall solution works in my case, but I trust that it would have, and that I would have been shown the error of my ways, if it hadn't been exactly right.  (I may try my "science project" after the holidays, just to see...)

Thanks and kudos to all for your prompt, helpful and very educational responses to this question.  Best Regards and Happy Holidays!

• NikK

LB, I'm happy to hear you got it sorted! I agree this thread turned out quite educational. It will probably be a good reference to any future issues regarding all licenses already in use. So thanks for the detailed descriptions of your problem and how it worked out.

The "science project" sounds interesting but somewhat unnecessary. I would wait until next time you end up with a no free license scenario, when you really need it. Spend that time on something more useful instead, like checking out F-Secures new Password Manager and Safe Search  

And if you're interested in security in general maybe check out these tips of Security products that complement F-Secure AV/IS Smiley Wink

• Simon
    Glad to hear you got things sorted. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info