Protection Malfunction

Protection Malfunction

I've recently migrated from Virgin Media.

When starting my PC all seems well for about 10 minutes the I get a warning about a Protection Malfunction.

When I check the F-Secure status window I see a warning that 'Your computer is not protected, Protection malfunction. Please restart your computer.'

So I restart but 10 minutes later the same fault occurs.

I've checked the update and F-secure is fully uptodate.

any help gratefully received.

Comments

• NikK
    NikK Posts: 903 Forum Champion

Hi,

I think you should submit a Support Request for this one, and attach a FSDIAG file in the support request. That will help the support technicians to faster solve your problem.

• Ok thanks.

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser
    I'd suggest running the VMS removal tool, in case it hasn't been uninstalled properly:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Internet-security/Virgin-Media-Security-10-FAQ/td-p/910393
  • Hi there, we are also having problems on our computer saying that it's not protected. Will windows defender affect this program, have had no problems up until now.

hope you can help

Regards

• Also just noticed that when I try to scan it says that "cannot start scan. No Scanning engines are loaded."

Any idea why this might be?

• Simon
    Please refer to above. If you have run the VMS Removal Tool, and are still having issues, you'll need to raise a support ticket with F-Secure. Do also try a reinstall of F-Secure once VMS has been removed.
  • I'll try that thank you.

• NikK

As Simon said, it's probably related to Virgin Media Security in this case. But for any future problems, and to others reading this thread:

If you suspect your F-Secure product isn't working properly, do this to verify:

1. Right-click the F-Secure system tray icon and select "Open Action Center". Any problems will show up here.

2. Right-click the F-Secure system tray icon and select "Open common settings". This will show all downloads and installation status of every sub-product.

commonsettings.png

Any downloads that are currently being installed are marked with bold text and has Status = Not Installed. Wait for it to finish installing.

If a download never gets installed, even after waiting hours including reboot, then at least you know what sub-product isn't getting installed and you can report it here on the forum or to support.

• f-secure 2-12-13.jpg

Ok I've uninstalled everything to do with Virgin Media. No sign of Virgin Media Security, that appears to have already gone.

I have 3 f-secure subproducts that have failed to install.

I have rebooted my pc and reinstalled f-secure a couple of times but no joy.

Any ideas?

• Simon

We have noticed on occasions that not all updates install immediately.  Sometimes it takes a couple of reboots for all the components to fully update, or the updates come along 10-15 minutes after the installation.  Does the main F-Secure Computer Security screen say that you're fully protected?  I don't want to sound like I'm messing you about, but I'd suggest a reboot, then wait a few minutes to see if the remaining updates install.  If they don't, the only other thing I can suggest is that you Contact Support, by raising a support ticket, attaching an FSDIAG, which you get by right clicking the tray icon and running the Support Tool.  Let us know how you get on.

• Success I think.

I manually uninstalled F-secure from control panel.

I also manually uninstalled malwarebytes and a few other autoupdate type programs.

Rebooted then reinstalled F-secure.

Then rebooted.

Most of the subprogs didn't immediately install so left it for half an hour then ran a scan and all seems good so far.

All the subprogs are reporting as installed and the scan was clean - apart from the usual spyware.

Smiley Happy

• Simon

That's sounding better - but, "usual spyware"?  horror.gif  I wouldn't be happy with any spyware on my computer, and F-Secure should remove most, if not all of it.  Malwarebytes can be installed with F-Secure, but just the free version, which doesn't run in real time.  It's handy to have, to do an occasional manual scan with, as it may occasionally find bits that F-Secure misses (and vice versa). 

• NikK

Yes, spyware sounds terrible!

A note: You can have MalwareBytes Anti-Malware run real-time along side F-Secure's real-time without any problems. I have both :)

• Hi there, I managed to uninstall and reinstall and it seemed to be ok but will check that all updates are installed too. Thank you for your help.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info