Deepguard - block connections without block/allow the program

NikK
NikK Posts: 903 Forum Champion

When I run a not so common software, deepguard is monitoring it without asking me if I want to block it or not. That's fine!

But when the program tries to connect to Internet, then suddenly Deepguard says the program might be harmful just because it tries to connect to Internet. I then have a choice to block or allow/trust the program.

If a trust/allow, will Deepguard keep monitoring the program? I guess No.

What I would like to do in this kind of situation is: Block the program only from making connections.

In that way I never have to decide between blocking or allowing the program completely, and I still have Deepguard monitoring it.

This seems impossible to accomplish with current settings for Deepguard.

EDIT: To clarify the problem, I MUST allow the program in order to be able to continue using it after it's tried to make an internet connection. If I don't allow the internet connection then my only option is to block the program, which means it can't run anymore at all.

I guess I can remove the program from Deepguard and start it again. It'll work until the program tries to connect to the internet again........

Comments

• Janiashvili
    Janiashvili Posts: 454 Adventurer
  • NikK

Good suggestion! Although I'm first hoping for some kind of explanation from FS of how this is supposed to work. There must be others who have noticed this strange behaviour with Deepguard?!

Why am I forced to allow/trust an uncommon software as soon as it tries to connect to the internet? (in order to keep continue using it)

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

Maybe it's because some software may not need to be able to connect to the Internet, but does so without your knowledge, so as to send user data, or perhaps has been maliciously hacked?

• NikK

Yes maybe, but if so and as long as Deepguard hasn't detected anything malicious about the program, I feel I should be given an option to block the program from making connections only, and have Deepguard continue monitoring it. So I can at least continue using the program.

With the current solution Deepguard is forcing me to trust the program. If I don't allow the connection I can't run the program at all anymore.

• Simon

What about using the Windows Firewall settings to block network access?  I have no clue if that would work, it's just an idea.

• NikK

Funny you asked, I'm actually doing that. I felt forced by Deepguard. BUT still I'm forced to allow/trust the program in Deepguard Smiley Sad

Most users don't wanna filter outbound connections, it's to complicated. Many people doesn't even know it's possible. What I want is a modification to Deepguard so all users can benefit from it.

I see it like this: If Deepguard is able to detect connections, and other F-Secure parts like banking protection is capable of blocking connections, and not to mention that F-Secure used to have it's own excellent firewall solution for many years, then this should be a simple modification to Deepguard.

You can even get this problem with known software, if you are among the first to test a new version or beta. Say you're testing a new version of a program that works like CCleaner, a program that does all it's work locally. Deepguard is monitoring it. When the program tries to connect to internet, for example to just check for updates, you MUST allow/trust the program in Deepguard to be able to continue using it. It doesn't make sense to me.

• Simon
    But it doesn't always ask. I have CCleaner, and it's not in my list of monitored programs, so I can only assume it allowed it automatically. I know you were just using that as an example, but I was just making the point that most known programs would automatically be allowed, and the user would be none the wiser.

I agree, DeepGuard does definitely need some manual options so that users can choose to allow or block programs for themselves. Sadly, the current trend seems to be to remove user options, rather than add them, and that's not just with F-Secure. Maybe it would be worth seeking out the 2011 version that still had the fiirewall and parental controls on board! :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi NikK,

If a trust/allow, will Deepguard keep monitoring the program? I guess No.

>>> The answer is yes. Please refer an excerpt from "Deepguard whitepaper" that should be able to answer most of your questions regarding Deepguard :) :

http://www.f-secure.com/static/doc/labs_global/Whitepapers/deepguard_whitepaper.pdf

=================

4. How DeepGuard works
    DeepGuard’s behavioral analysis is activated by two events. When
    a program is launched for the first time, DeepGuard analyses it to
    determine if it is safe to run. Subsequently, DeepGuard continues
    to monitor the program while running.

=================

---
    Best regards,
    Fendy

Has somebody helped you? Say thanks by giving kudos. Has your issue been solved? Mark the post using "Accept As Solution" button to let others know.

• NikK

Fendy, thanks. But it doesn't really say that Deepguard will continue to monitor it AFTER I've been asked and allowed it.

But if that's the case, then is it fair to say that allowing a program in Deepguard is mainly about allowing the program to make internet connections? I mean considering that Deepguard continues to monitor the program after I have allowed it.

I'm talking about programs of type "d", so there's no confusion:

a) The file is malicious and blocked

b) The user is given the option to allow or deny the launch

c) The file is clean and allowed to execute

d) The file’s status as clean or malicious is still unknown

Also I assume Deepguard is only monitoring GUI programs, and not possible services that are installed along the GUI program?

• NikK

Have read the whitepaper without getting any clarification, and I really want to understand Deepguard better:

- Is allowing a program in Deepguard mainly about allowing the program to make internet connections? (assuming Deepguard continues to monitor the program after I have allowed it)

- Is Deepguard only monitoring GUI programs, and not possible services that are installed along the GUI program?

• Siltanen
    Siltanen Posts: 61 Former F-Secure Employee

Hello NikK,

It's not only about connections, if the program behaves suspiciously, execution is also blocked.

Every not known good executable is being monitored by DeepGuard regardless if it's a service or not.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info