How can I know if a blocking is false positive?

ekotrd
ekotrd Posts: 5 Explorer

I recently installed AVC Video Enhancer AI to restore some old films. 

SAFE is blocking the program and identifying it as Trojan Ransomware, but I cannot find any online discussions reporting something similar. What I do find is a lot of reviews of the software, testing etc, so it seems that this is a good software to use. How can I know if SAFE’s blocking is a false positive?

Accepted Answer

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,607 Community Manager
    Answer ✓

Hello @ekotrd

Thank you for your comment.

We have received your submission. Our Malware Analyst is investigating the file at the moment.

Once the process is done, the Malware Analyst will personally email you regarding the outcome of the investigation. You may communicate with them directly if further information is required.

Normally, it would take 2-4 working days.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Answers

• ekotrd
    edited January 2023

I recently installed AVC Video Enhancer AI to restore some old films.

SAFE is blocking the program and identifying it as Trojan Ransomware, but I cannot find any online discussions reporting something similar. What I do find is a lot of reviews of the software, testing etc, so it seems that this is a good software to use. How can I know if SAFE’s blocking is a false positive?

• Firmy

Hello @ekotrd

Welcome to the F-Secure Community page. Thank you for your post.

If you suspect that:

• A clean file has been falsely detected as malicious, or.
    • A file that is malicious but has not been detected by our software
    1. You can submit the file to our labs for further investigation. To submit a sample file, go to the following page: https://www.f-secure.com/en/home/support/submit-a-sample#sample-url
    2. Select the File Sample tab.
    3. Click Choose File and attach your sample file.
      • Tick the box I want to give more details about this sample and to be notified of the analysis results if you want to receive feedback from F-Secure Labs on the submitted file.
      • Note: Subject and description should be written in English.
    4. Verify that you are not a robot with reCAPTCHA.
    5. Click Submit sample file.

The sample submission is analyzed by our analysts and the databases will be updated if necessary.

Kindly let me know if this helps.

Thank you and have a good day.

• ekotrd

Thank you.

I did that a few days ago, but have not heard anything yet. How long does it normally take for the sample to be analyzed?

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for the discussion.

Good to be sure that "AVC Video Enhancer AI" is downloaded from official website or source. So, there is limited possibility to get a modified or bundled version with something 'tricky'.

Sounds that this software is a commercial one and available as a trial time (if need to check it for free). So, perhaps, there can be a lot of website which will try to distribute hacked or compromised executables (with an attitude to pretend as a legit one).

Thanks!

• ekotrd

Hi,

Still no updates from the analyst team.

Can I get in touch with them and ask if there is any progress?

Thank you.

• Firmy

Hello @ekotrd

Thank you for your comment.

I have got in touch with them, they will personally email you regarding their finding.

On the other hand, may we request the exact link/URL you downloaded the AVC Video Enhancer AI?

We would like to get the exact file that triggered the detection.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Thank you and have a good day,

• ekotrd

Hi,

I am not allowed to post links here, so please add .com to this address:

www.avclabs

Free trial of program «Video Enhancer AI»

Thank you.

• Firmy

Hello @ekotrd

Thank you for the information.

I have shared the information with our Malware Analyst, and I can see that you have been contacted by them.

Kindly let me know if you require further assistance.

Thank you and have a good day.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info