How to update the antivirus database?

Conor
Conor Posts: 9 Explorer

SAFE claims: "Antivirus database is not up to date." I click on "Update", the status changes briefly to "Updating protection" then we go back to square one. Repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat. The last time I had this problem I had to uninstall F-Secure SAFE and re-install it. MacOS latest version (Ventura 13.0.1), MacBook Pro (Intel).

No error messages, no hints. SAFE does not ask for extra access rights. "Update" just does not work.

On Saturday I had the same problem on another machine: MacOS latest version (Ventura 13.0.1), MacMini (Apple M1). I had to uninstall F-Secure SAFE and re-install it.

This software is unusable if I have to uninstall it and re-install it every month on three different machines.

F-Secure SAFE version: Version 18.4 (47125)

Database version: 2022-12-20_05

Subscription valid.

SAFE has full disk access (System Settings | Privacy & Security).

Accepted Answer

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,621 Community Manager
    Answer ✓

Hello @Conor @qaz @csa

You can check if the macOS version is supported, and make sure that the latest version of SAFE is installed on your computer.

After that proceed to restart/reboot your computer. If the issue persists after the reboot, do the following:

How to fix databases are too old error?

Method A:

1. Open Finder
    2. Select Go at the top of the screen.
    3. Click Go to Folder.
    4. In the box, type the following location and press Return: /private/ etc/hosts
    5. Drag the folder onto the desktop [Without opening the folder] 
    6. Open the folder when on the desktop and replace the host information with the following information: 
    ##
    # Host Database
    #
    #
    # localhost is used to configure the lookback interface
    # when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
    ##
    127.0.0.1	     localhost
    255.255.255.255	broadcasthost

::1		    localhost
    fe80::1%lo0	 localhost

1.  After replacing the text in the host folder, drag the folder back into the /private/ etc/hosts, select replace file and confirm that by entering the administrator password. 
    2. You can then restart the computer and check the status of the program. 

Method B: https://www.imore.com/how-edit-your-macs-hosts-file-and-why-you-would-want

1. Open a Finder window.
    2. Select Applications from the sidebar.
    3. Double-click on Utilities.
    4. Double-click Terminal.

In the Terminal window, you will need to enter a command to open the Nano text editor. You will need your administrator password, as well.

1. type sudo nano / etc/hosts and then hit return.
    2. Enter your administrator password and then hit return.

You're now in the Nano text editor. Move the cursor using the arrow keys and position it after the text in the window. Then, begin typing. It should look like this,

Once you're done, hold down the control and O keys to save the file, then control and X to exit.

One last step

Back at the command line, type sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder then type return. That will flush your Mac's DNS cache, so it doesn't get confused by any changes you've made to the Hosts file.

Kindly let me know if this helps.

Thank you and have a good day.

Answers

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,621 Community Manager

Hello @Conor

Welcome to the F-Secure Community page. Thank you for your post.

Kindly ensure that you are running with the latest macOS version and that you have a good connection to the network.

You can check this link to assist you Databases too old iMAC M1 Big Sur 11.5.2 — F-Secure Community

Before you uninstall and reinstall the app, perhaps you can follow the troubleshooting steps described in the post.

Kindly let us know if this helps.

Thank you and have a good day.

• Conor

No, that didn't help.

As I pointed out in the post, I am running the latest version of macOS.

My network connection is good enough to stream 4K video, so I think it's more than good enough to download an antivirus update.

The troubleshooting steps in the accepted answer in the post you mention are: uninstall, free up license, reinstall. You think I should do that "Before you uninstall and reinstall the app"? It's the same thing!

The other suggestion in the post you mention didn't work for the other person and didn't work for me. Not surprising as there is no reason it should work.

So, we're still at square one: is it possible to update the antivirus database without having to uninstall the app and reinstall the app?

• Conor

I have used the "support tool" to create an fsdiag.tar.gz file. Is that file helpful to you? Is it safe to upload that file here?

• qaz
    qaz Posts: 1 Observer

Bump, same for me. After macos ventura update on an apple Intel 2019, no more updates. I bet more people have this problem, I also did not notice the alert for 10 days. When I repeat the update then sometimes the main window displays "up to date" but the task to update remains.

Uninstall and similar solutions are fine if that is really the fix and it shows that does not help, as it rarely does on macos systems. Is there more information meanwhile from the devs on this? Or should this be reported via an other channel to F-secure?

• csa
    csa Posts: 1 Observer

I have the same issue.

Database version: 2023-01-09_15

F-Secure SAFE Version 18.4 (47125)

macOS Monetery 12.6.2 (21G320)

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020) 2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info