allowing school websites/apps for SAFE kids

vidarstensvag
vidarstensvag Posts: 1 New Member

Hi I have a big problem regarding how safe is blocking my daughters samsung galaxy. every app/link we open gets redirected to the safe browser and end up getting blocked. The age rating is 7 to 12 and parental control is activated. Especially is this a problem when it she\s trying to do her homework in the showbie app and som of the national education apps where the links open automatically in the webbrowser i have tried changing age etc. but it make no difference. I hav also tried to set safe as default browser without luck. My question is therefore,-how do I approve a website in f-secure Safe?

To circumvent this I have added her ipad to my profile just to keep it safe for pirates and hackers. I would wish that i could put it under her name separately so that we can benefit from the age related limitations i SAFEfor the future... right now she`s surfing on my age limit...

Please reply to me A.S.A.P?

sincerely vidar s..

Accepted Answer

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser
    Answer ✓

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I am only an F-Secure user.

I think there could be different subjects of trouble. But I will try to write some points that can help against some of them.

For example, when F-Secure SAFE is installed on Android device with a 'child' profile (so, to use Parental Control functionality). It is usually means F-Secure SAFE Browser is the only allowed browser (unless VPN Privacy feature is ON). So, redirection to SAFE Browser is expected sort of things. As a small prevention against bypassing Parental Control (Family Rules) and possibility to visit websites with restricted rated category (and so on).

With iOS - mentioned points are applied too.

Then, if website is blocked in SAFE Browser - you could try to find out (check) what is the category of blocked website and (for example) allow that category for this age-profile in My FS Protection portal (or via your device's app installation). Brief search for guides about (can be not the most relevant ones): What is Family Rules? - F-Secure Community |||| How can I block web pages by their content using Family Rules? - F-Secure Community

However, based on my own experience - sometimes F-Secure SAFE Browser will show 'blockpage' even for safe page. Usually, after redirection or very first opening - so... perhaps, in any events - when SAFE application cannot retrieve reputation / rating of website and block or show blockpage by default. Refreshing or re-opening this website is usually a workaround.

However, if website is blocked (incorrectly) as harmful or suspicious. Or "category" (like social_media or dating) is wrong. Then there is an option to share this URL with F-Secure LABS and they will re-check it: Submit a sample | F-Secure (How can I submit samples to F-Secure? - F-Secure Community)

Additional points:

Perhaps, some feature requests are needed (for Android / iOS platforms). For example,

-> possibility to allow only a certain website (or bunch of websites) instead of allowing entire 'Parental Control / Family Rules' category in Content Blocker functionality; so, to avoid blocking one website which we want to use, but still blocking any other within a certain category.

-> maybe more 'complex' and 'advanced' age profiles design. so, a bit more accurate or a bit more functionality and features there.

To circumvent this I have added her ipad to my profile just to keep it safe for pirates and hackers. I would wish that i could put it under her name separately so that we can benefit from the age related limitations i SAFEfor the future... right now she`s surfing on my age limit...

Blocked known count of websites is the only trouble? I mean, if it will be possible to find out why they are blocked and 're-rate' them - then all is OK? Or something else will be a trouble for using age related limitations in F-Secure SAFE application?

If this is possible, could your provide some examples of URLs which blocked - so, I also can check it with my device. If not a private ones or account-specific.

Thanks!

Answers

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,623 Community Manager

Hello @vidarstensvag

Welcome to the F-Secure Community page. Thank you for your post.

As mentioned by @Ukko in the previous comment, if the child profile is activated, the child is only able to use the SAFE browser to browser to protect the child. And might be the link she trying to access is blocked by the category under Content Filtering as part of Family Rules. You can check the details of the category from here What are the content types for Content filtering in Family Rules? - F-Secure Community

And if you think the URL should not be blocked, you can submit the URL to the labs from the previous comment.

You can activate the Family Rules feature when you are installing the application on the device and registering it for the first time. 

If you already have F-Secure SAFE installed on the device and logged in with your account, you can activate Family Rules on the device with the following steps:

1. Open F-Secure SAFE.
    2. Tap on the drop-down arrow next to Protecting <profile name>.
    3. Tap on Switch user.
    4. Log in using your F-Secure account credentials.
    5. On the Who uses this device? page, select My child, and tap Continue.
    6. Follow the instructions on the screen to create a new profile/use the current child profile and set up Family Rules for your child.

Remember, you can always change the Family Rules settings from the My F-Secure portal at a later date if desired.

Thank you and have a good day.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info