Freedome prevents various iCloud sync features on macOS

hardhat
hardhat Posts: 6 Observer
edited June 2023 in F-Secure VPN

This is a reasonably longstanding issue I have noticed, and it seems to affect other VPN providers—see this GitHub issue where (on 12th Dec 2022) a Mullvad developer says that they have figured it out and are working on implementing a solution

github dot com/mullvad/mullvadvpn-app/issues/2401

Sorry, my account is too new to post a clickable link.

Essentially, while connected via Freedome, various iCloud sync features are inhibited.

I cannot:

• Sync Safari bookmarks
  • Upload files to iCloud via Finder

This issue does not affect me on iOS.

Accepted Answer

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,608 Community Manager
    Answer ✓

Hello @hardhat

How are you doing? We would like to follow up with you regarding this issue. Are you able to follow the instructions in my previous comment? May I know what is the outcome?

If the issue persists, kindly turn on IKEv2 and check again if it helps.

Kindly let us know the outcome once you have done this.

Thank you and have a good day.

Answers

• Sela
    Sela Posts: 1 Observer

Cambodia

• Firmy

Hello @hardhat @Sela

Sorry for the delay.

Welcome to the F-Secure Community page. Thank you for your post.

We would like to request more information on this issue.

May I know on which device you have this issue? What is the operating system? Are you connected using mobile data/hotspot or WIFI? Which location did you select on F-Secure FREEDOME VPN?

Have you tried to change your network connection and change the location in the F-Secure FREEDOME VPN?

Thank you and Happy New Year.

• hardhat

Just a Mac running macOS Monterey (12.6.2), connected via wifi, connecting to the Finland server. However, the issue remains on other Freedome locations I've tried.

It's probably a similar issue to what Mulled has. I know Freedome had a problem with iCloud Photo sync a few years ago, and there was some kind of workaround. I don't use iCloud photos, so I can't tell you if that is now broken, too.

• hardhat

Sorry, autocorrect. Mulled should be Mullvad.

• Firmy

Hello @hardhat

Thank you for your reply.

May I know which setting are you using on your F-Secure FREEDOME VPN? Can you share a screenshot?

Have you tried to change the VPN protocol? If you don't, I would suggest you change your VPN Protocol, OpenVPN or OpenVPN (TCP) and check again the sync.

If the issue remains, add your network under the trusted network and test again.

Kindly let me know the outcome once you have checked on this.

• hardhat

I already use the trusted network option.

The issue remains whether I use OpenVPN or OpenVPN (TCP).

• Firmy

Hello @hardhat

Thanks for your reply.

I am currently checking this issue with our team. I will get back to you once I have more information on this matter.

• Firmy

Hello @hardhat

We would like you to do the following step. Once you have done this, kindly let us know if the iCloud sync works or not.

1. Turn off Automatic Killswitch
    2. Turn off F-Secure FREEDOME VPN
    3. Turn on WIFI if WIFI get turned off
    4. Turn on F-Secure FREEDOME VPN
    5. Kindly check if the iCloud sync

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

• hardhat

Uploading files to iCloud, just by dragging and dropping via Finder, seems to be working fine without changing any settings, so perhaps this is another mysterious issue we can forget about.

The issue that remains, is that Bookmarks and Reading List items do not sync in Safari, no matter which configuration of Freedome settings I've tried, that is, your suggestions or my own tinkerings. The only thing that seems to work is turning Freedome off on the Mac, then checking my bookmarks so that a sync is initiated.

• Firmy

Hello @hardhat

Thank you for your comment.

The issue that remains, is that Bookmarks and Reading List items do not sync in Safari, no matter which configuration of Freedome settings I've tried, that is, your suggestions or my own tinkerings.

May I confirm with you again that you have tested the issue with IKEv2 being switched on? The option will be under the VPN protocols.

If you are not tested it yet by using IKEv2, kindly do so and let us know the outcome.

• hardhat

I've just done some testing, and Safari bookmarks do sync when I'm using IKEv2 on macOS.

This discussion has been closed.
Product & Pricing Info