2 different vaults for 1 user

edonistar
edonistar Posts: 8 Explorer

For 1 user, is it possible to access 2 different vaults via a unique IDP installation ? 🤔

Tagged:

Accepted Answer

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,621 Community Manager
    Answer ✓

Hello @edonistar

Thanks for the clarification, yeah, it is much clearer now.

Since she only has F-Secure ID PROTECTION on your desktop by using her profile, the only way she can access her F-Secure ID PROTECTION is from your desktop.

F-Secure ID PROTECTION is created uniquely where the user can only access the vault by using the master password Keep your passwords safe with Vault | ID PROTECTION | Latest | F-Secure User Guides

Hence, the only possible way for her to access her F-Secure ID PROTECTION is to sync her vault to your vault, however, it will sync your vault to hers and vice versa. And there is no possible way for you to create multiple user profiles on the mobile phone.

Or else, you can store some of her important passwords in your vault such as her bank details, so when you are going for a trip, she can get the information she needed.

Thank you and have a good day.

Answers

• Firmy

Hello @edonistar

Thank you for your post.

May I know if you are asking this question on the same device? If yes, this option can only be done on Windows or Mac platforms. To allow you to have 2 different vaults, you need to have 2 users profiles as we discussed in your previous post On a single desktop, 2 users want to access 2 different vaults — F-Secure Community

This is because F-Secure ID PROTECTION User Data are stored locally on that device, hence, to allow you to have 2 sets of vaults on the same machine, you need to have 2 user profiles. Each user's data will store on each user profile https://help.f-secure.com/product.html#home/id-protection-windows/latest/en/concept_34F6BBA2025F48498FFCB08A4DB722FA-latest-en

However, this option is not possible for the mobile device since there is no option for you to create another user profile on your mobile.

If you are asking this question for a different device, after installing the app (F-Secure ID PROTECTION), you do not have to sync the vault (connect devices). This will allow it to have its own user data/vault on that device. After installing the app, you will have 2 options which are "Create a new Master Password" or use "Connect devices" to sync the password. If you want to have 2 sets of different vaults, kindly choose "Create a new Master Password".

Kindly let me know if you require further assistance.

Thank you and Happy New Year.

• edonistar

Hello

Happy new year : health, love and money.

Unfortunately, I was expecting such a kind of answer; though, it doesn't solve my issue.

Example :

my grandma (prehistoric phone but IDP user) and I (different IDP user so different vault) take a trip,

my grandma needs her bank' id and code to withdraw money,

my super Android phone is regularly uses to access my own IDP vault.

in such a case, what is the solution to access my grandma's vault ?

• Firmy

Hello @edonistar

Thank you for your comment.

my grandma (prehistoric phone but IDP user)

I would like to confirm with you that your grandma has her F-Secure ID PROTECTION installed on her phone with her vault? What do you mean by she is using a prehistoric phone but an IDP user? Does this mean she is not using a smartphone; however, she is using F-Secure ID PROTECTION? If so, where did she installs the F-Secure ID PROTECTION on?

Or does she is using a smartphone and has her F-Secure ID PROTECTION installed on her phone? If she does, she can store her passwords and details in her vault. She will have her vault on her phone which only she can access the vault. And you will have a separate vault since you have your phone and vault which does not sync to her vault.

However, if that is not the situation such as she does not have F-Secure ID PROTECTION installed on her phone and she would like to access her bank by using your phone, hence, the only possible way is for you to store her details in your vault to assist her.

I hope this will help you.

Thank you and have a good day.

• edonistar

1/ My grandma has a phone on which it's impossible to install any application (not a smartphone) 🤑

2/ On my Windows desktop, my grandma own a personal Windows user session. Under this session I installed IDP and I opened a specific vault. Like that, all her passwords are secure. 😀

3/ To convice her to create a personal vault, the condition was that she can modify herself the password; secret is secret. 🤐

It seems that IDP can't solve our issue. 😥

Except if IDP ask for Ident + Pwd; now it's just Pwd 😜

Have I well summed up the issue ?

• edonistar

Thanks for these very clear and precise explanations.

To sum up :

when my grandma is travelling WITH ME, she can't access to her IDP vault.

to solve the issue :

1/ she has to buy a smartphone 🤑

2/ she has to contract a data subscription with her ISP 🤑

Unfortunately, my grandma has great regard for spendings (and privacy).

Unhappy customer 😥

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply.

Just as a small addition to discussion with rather well pointed options and ways...

when my grandma is travelling WITH ME, she can't access to her IDP vault. to solve the

is it possible to create a profile (user account) in your smartphone? and protect by password or PIN-code (or whatever).

I am not really friendly with mobile devices, but I assume that most of mobile operating systems should allow multi-users design. So, one device (smartphone) is used by two (or more) peoples / users. Each profile with own 'apps' or sort of.

By that way:

-> your smartphone can be used as access to password/PIN-protected profile of your grandma. So, like if only she can do that.

-> then, access to masterpassword-protected IDP instance in that profile.

Is it possible?

Just cannot check with my own devices.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info