Can I change the account associated with my trial installation of SAFE?

ptoye
ptoye Posts: 18 Enthusiast

I set up an account to trial SAFE. For organisation reasons my partner has bought it and I want to use her account rather than mine. Is there a way of transferring my installation to her account, or do I have to uninstall and reinstall it?

Accepted Answer

Answers

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Just for not to reinstall and keep it on the computer - you can perhaps do or try the following:

• open F-Secure SAFE main user interface (tray-logo button or desktop logo)
    • there should be "user logo" around right top corner. Choose it and menu should be visible.
    • there should be option "Log out" - you can try to use it and then login with credentials for your partner's account. She also could invite you (described there: Sharing protection with a family member or friend | SAFE | Latest | F-Secure User Guides), so you will be with own credentials, but took license from her account. Perhaps, this is not always suitable.
    • as a result, some settings may be reset to their default values. but installation remains as it was.

Flow described there too: How to log out of F-Secure SAFE on my devices? - F-Secure Community

If the desire is about merging accounts, or email bindings - or similar things. More often, help will be needed through official channels (Contact support | F-Secure). In some situations, you can change your email-for-account on My F-Secure Account portal.

Thanks!

• ptoye

This doesn't work. My partner had tried to use my existing email address to add me to her account but was told that the email address was already in use. It seems that F-Secure didn't think of this possibility when designing their subscription model. So we used a different email address and I was added to her account.

I was able to add a new machine using the credentials that had been sent.

In the end I telephoned the support line who were very helpful and will send me some details by email. I seems that it's easier if I log in using my partner's account than trying to use the new one.

• Ukko

Hello,

Oh! Yes, sorry.

This doesn't work. My partner had tried to use my existing email address to add me to her account but was told that the email address was already in use.

If you want to use the "Invite" scheme (main user / sub user) - then in your situation it was indeed not possible to invite you through an email address that was already used in the trial account. I mentioned that way / option, but did not explain that it will be another My F-Secure account (so, requirement to invite via another your email address or to 'release' that one from the trial account. Or it can be 'alias' to your main email address, but not sure if this is still supported by F-Secure solutions).

So, in general, there were two ways keep installation and re-login/re-activate installation with fresh account/subscription (by mentioned steps with my first reply):

• to use your partner's account (credentials). So, both will be using one F-Secure account.
    • to use 'invitation' (user / subuser / circles) - so you could use partner's licences - but with your own F-Secure account and credentials. by this way - your account will be under your partner's circle.

Dealing with email addresses:

• to use another email;
    • to request F-Secure Support. Or to release email (with F-Secure TOTAL it should be possible, when you login into your My F-Secure account portal) and then re-use it with any of ways.

Thanks!

• ptoye

It seems that the only way is to remove SAFE from my machine and re-install it. I think this sort of thing should have been thought of and mentioned somewhere in the documentation.

• Ukko

It seems that the only way is to remove SAFE from my machine and re-install it. I think this sort of thing should have been thought of and mentioned somewhere in the documentation.

Maybe. I will try to check situation with my own devices later.

However, this functionality: How to log out of F-Secure SAFE on my devices? - F-Secure Community

then can be completely useless. I am not sure - but I do not see too much difference with "trial account" and "another account" - so - can be logout from trial account and login to another account (any other credentials : email/password).

Thanks!

• ptoye

Thanks @Jaims and @Ukko

As I've got my own domain it's easier to use a different email address. Mohamed at the F-Secure support site was very helpful and I think I'm now set up OK.

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions - it seems that it's not as easy as it could be, but i guess that transferring accounts isn't something they often deal with.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info