Unable to reinstall Antivirus

Julien_P
Julien_P Posts: 4 New Member

Hello,

I am unable to reinstall the software (SAFE) on my main desktop. Each time I try, I reach 99% of install progress, then IT call for an error "something went wrong" and ask to restart.

I had no issue doing the same install on an other desktop computer with the same licence (3 computers licence) , and even did 3 french install of the software from an other licence on my business with zero issue.

However, for this one computer nothing is working. I tried the uninstall tool (FsUninstallationTool.exe) to remove my previous files. Some file remain on the computer and are active, unable to remove them manually.

I tried going in window safe mode to launch the uninstall, and the install. same issue.

F-secure is not visible in the trail bar, not on the uninstall program list, not on my menu, so I am unable to act directly on it, if even half present on the system.

And Every time I try the new install, It end with that "something went wrong,please restart" doing nothing and having me start again the same process and same conclusion "something went wrong, please restart"

Anything to help me fix it?

I also have the "fsdiag_standalone.exe" report if needed.

Accepted Answer

• Jaims
    Jaims Posts: 846 Former F-Secure Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Julien_P

This error can appear if there are registry entries and / or files remaining from a previous F-Secure product installation. Also ensure there are no other AV programs installed and run pending Windows Update as this can also prevent the installation of the F-Secure SAFE.

Follow the steps below to make sure the previous installation has been completely removed: 

1. Download and run the F-Secure uninstallation tool from here
    2. Restart the computer
    3. Remove the C:\Program Files\F-Secure\ folder if it still exists
    4. Open the Windows Registry Editor and remove the following folder: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\F-Secure\

Once you have removed the files and registry keys of the previous installation, try the installation again. If the issue persists, I can escalate this ticket so you can provide us with the diagnostic log file for further investigation.

Answers

• Lucaseuropa
    Lucaseuropa Posts: 301 Rock Star

Hey @Julien_P,

Try the following:

1. Log on to your computer with administrator rights.
    2. Download the Uninstallation Tool for Windows from our Support Tools page.
    3. Run the executable FsUninstallationTool.exe. The User Account Controls appears.
    4. Click Yes.
    5. Click Start.
    6. Select the products or components that you want to remove, and click Next to initiate the uninstallation process.
    7. Click Restart when prompted. This is to remove remaining files. The uninstallation is complete when your computer restarts.

• Julien_P

Hello again.

After trying multiple times the uninstall /restart /install thing (that always end with the same result as explained on original post.) and waiting a couple months for whatever to be patched (nicely wasting my subscriptions) . It is still doing the exact same thing.

Could really appreciate any alternative to be able to use properly this desktop within a safer environment.

PS : the uninnstall see nothing except log files, no product installed for him.

Hi @Julien_P

When using uninstallation tool in this situation, it's important that you select "F-Secure security product" even when it's not detected. Sometimes some broken remains of the product may be there but they are not detected, however, the cleanup is able to clean then in any case.

(F-Secure R&D)

F-Secure R&D, Desktop products

• Julien_P

Hello again,

I tried again as asked, to fully remove the f-secure folder, le registry entries , and double do the uninstall software.

Then after restarting and redownloading me F-secure Safe install.

It run all the way to 99%, adding even a shortcut to my desktop.

Then back to the "something went wrong" screen and F-secure is not installed (auto remove the shortcut, and the folder f-secure in program files contain only part of the files.

• Jaims

Hi @Julien_P

Would you mind if I create a ticket so we could take this offline for further investigation?

We need to get an fsdiag log to ascertain what is blocking the F-Secure SAFE installation.

• Jaims

Hi @Julien_P

I sent you an email couple of days ago asking you to provide us with the fsdiag but we still have not received it yet.

Could you kindly reply to my email so we can assist you promptly and prevent further delay?

• Julien_P

Hello @Jaims , I did it twice. guess attached files filter your messages?

• Jaims

Hi @Julien_P

Please ensure you are replying to our email and attaching the file in your reply. We will not receive it if you send the file in a separate mail even if it's addressed to us. I have checked again and I have not seen any replies to my emails nor seen the fsdiag but I can see you responded to the automated email informing you of a possible closure. You can reply to that email as well and attach the fsdiag and we will revert once we check the log.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info