Bug Report on Banking Protection Log In

AJalink
AJalink Posts: 9 New Member
edited March 2022 in F-Secure Internet Security

The new banking protection update is good... but there's a bug in it.

My regular banking works great, protection loads when I load the log in page, and everything is fine.

When I load Paypal and go to the log in page, Banking protection BEGINS.

As soon as I click to log in, it's breaking something with Paypal so they do the "Authentication" captcha.... and when they do that, FS Banking protection STOPS and no longer protects my log in. I've put up with it but it's annoying - the point of it is to protect my log in, not end when I'm still in the log in process.

Accepted Answer

• Jaims
    Jaims Posts: 846 Former F-Secure Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @AJalink @Ron11

Changes have now been released to production and I verified that PayPal captcha does not end the session anymore. We have also improved the referrer functionality and it should help with other issues where banking session is ended prematurely.

Kindly try again and let us know if the issue persists.

Answers

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Dear @AJalink ,

I strongly believe that the described issue might be very similar to the one posted here:

https://community.f-secure.com/en/discussion/comment/126997No worries, we will be definitely looking into that. Could you kindly please check the post above and provide us with more feedback on what is happening exactly when you click on log in? Does it go to another site after you log in there?

Thank you for your reply.

• Ron11
    Ron11 Posts: 19 Observer

Yes, my PayPal F-S Banking cover stops as soon as I begin to type in my password - just the bit I need to be secure!

Cheers,

Ron

• Amirul
    Amirul Posts: 161 F-Secure Employee

Dear @AJalink & @Ron11 ,

Thank you for your reply.

Our lab team has doing some changes for the PayPal website. Can you confirm if the issue still persist at your end? The banking banner should be showing after you have login to your account.

Looking forward to your update.

• Ron11

Copied from my other posts....

"Paypal is different, it doesn't open Banking at all when I browse to Paypal UK but if another site like ebay takes me there, it opens immediately but as soon as I enter my password, Banking closes down."

• AJalink

@Amirul - no it is not fixed, it still does the same thing.

Turns on when I load Paypal, start the log in, goes to the "security check" and closes itself off.

On the odd time it skips the security check, it still shuts itself off. (Fsecure).

• Ron11

Still not fixed - I'm losing faith in F-Secure.

• Jaims

Hi @Ron11

I can confirm that PayPal issue has now been fixed. I tested multiple times today and it worked just fine all through.

For PayPal.com the main page cannot be added as banking but the login page of like https://www.paypal.com/fi/signin (depending on country) already triggered. We have added banking reputation on the login page for PayPal.

If it still does not drop, simply reboot device or refresh the F-Secure SAFE, try again and let us know the outcome.

• AJalink

Interesting that you say it is fixed, but it didn't turn on AT ALL this time for me. It usually turns on, then goes to security, then turns off while I'm still logging in.

Today it didn't even start.

• AJalink

Well it's 3 weeks later from my last post, and there are still issues.

So - it does turn on now and stay on while it's doing the captcha.

And it actually stayed on after I filled that out and logged in... (it usually stops at captcha loading).

HOWEVER - when I clicked "transfer money" - Fsecure went OFF again! Seriously, I want to transfer money insecurely??

I finally thought it was fixed, but obviously not. Hoping you guys are aware of this now?

• AJalink

Tagging @Jaims because it looks like no one saw my previous comment (which is fixed, but this isn't fully still).

• Jaims

Hi @AJalink

Sincere apologies for the late response.

I was able to reproduce this issue and it seems it has resurfaced apparently due to the constant change from PayPal. Yes, there is no one direction to gain access to PayPal main portal without facing series of unpredictable steps. Sometime there is captcha, some other time it's security verification and on rare occasion nothing at all.

I am checking with the team again and I will revert.

• Ron11

Today I've found that SAFE has become unreliable on sites that were working well, sometimes it triggers SAFE, sometimes not. I still have sites that were SAFE for several years that now never trigger its opening.

Where I once purchased a service that worked impeccably, I now have to check its function every time & find other ways to trigger safety by logging in to other sites that still work.

• AJalink

The captcha issue is fixed, but the banking security on Paypal is still not working right.

I log in, fine, security is on.

I click to send money, BOOM it ends.

I click to withdraw money, BOOM it ends.

Sorry but there's still issues :(

Also - it's sometimes TOO sensitive. I went to read an article - NOT logged in on a bank of america site and f-secure started. Had to turn off banking protection because it blocked my other tabs.

I think perhaps if we went to a log in screen it would go on, not "just" to the main website/articles?

Not a big deal, I'm more frustrated with Paypal sending money / withdrawing or doing other things and having f-secure stop when I'm doing things that matter.

• AJalink

(to clarify - my regular banking works fine - it's only Paypal).

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info