FS Protection PC 18.0 releases

13»

Answers

Release 18.0 beta 10 (4.50.5414):

Fixed issues:

• Protection history UI element shakes (PBL-8208)

F-Secure R&D, Desktop products

• fs-seppo
    fs-seppo Posts: 22 F-Secure Employee

Release 18.0 beta 11 (4.50.5416):

Fixed issues:

• SAFE 18.0 does not properly install .NET on update (PBL-8261)

Seppo

SAFE 18.0 is now live, thank you to all beta testers.

fs protection 18.1 beta starts soon.

• Cale
    Cale Posts: 288 F-Secure Product Manager

Yup, your contribution was once again very valuable during the development and helped us to iron out bugs and improve the look and feel of the product by miles, so big thanks everyone!

-Cale

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

Great news! 👍

• Candi1
    Candi1 Posts: 58 Active Engager
    edited May 2021

Great news! Thank you!!!

Thank you, Ville, Fs-seppo & Cale !!! Its awesome to be a part of something(especially F-secure). Thank you to the whole F-secure family!

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Just as a feedback (probably this is discussed somewhere already).

On one device, I struggled for months with the inability to install Windows Updates. So, after trying to figure out the situation by some steps - I decided to check online Windows 10 Update Assistant (or so). It showed me that Windows 10 21H1 is available instead of my installed Windows 10 20H2 - so I tried to install it and all was fine.

After the first boot, I did not notice (or all was OK), but after the first reboot I noticed that the fs protection tray logo was missing and the UI could not be launched (scan wizard context scan is also missed). Also, to run some UI executables manually also was not possible to do. However, Browsing protection functionality is applied at the time (actually, I tried only blocking harmful rated website). Anyway, I decided to check Windows Updates and cumulative update for the .NET Framework (May) installed. Another restart and fs protection is perfectly running. Just what if someone also runs into this after the Windows upgrade.

I also admit the possibility that this was a coincidence.

Thanks.

Hi @Ukko

Thanks for the information. I have not heard of this happening to anyone else, but it doesn't mean it hasn't happened. It's quite worrying that Windows update can break .NET framework. Also, we do have code that checks that .NET is installed and it will show dialog (not .NET dialog obviously) stating that you have to install .NET. Based on your report sounds like this did not trigger, so .NET was installed but broken somehow?

In any case, like you noticed, we have designed the product so that only user interface runs with .NET and the main protection functionality can work just fine without the user interface, so you will still be protected, even if a bit confused.

(F-Secure R&D)

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Thanks for your response.

Basically I think it could be a coincidence (because I did not third reboot; and the second one was right after installing updates. So, not enough checked around).

It's just that once I saw the missing fs protection tray logo and then the inability to launch the UI (and I tried some .NET-based executables manually) - I thought that it might be necessary to check for Windows updates - where the latest cumulative for .NET platform for May were actually installed. In fact, probably this one (KB4601554) - but description is mostly about Windows Server (?) and some other builds - but not mine.

It's quite worrying that Windows update can break .NET framework. Also, we do have code that checks that .NET is installed and it will show dialog (not .NET dialog obviously) stating that you have to install .NET. Based on your report sounds like this did not trigger, so .NET was installed but broken somehow?

Probably, yes. So, that system was Windows 10 20H2 with normal situation about fs protection and .NET Framework was installed (as I suppose). But there was trouble from March (?!) to install generic cumulative WIndows updates (at least) with the very unclear reason.

Because of this, I decided to do something after some troubleshooting (no success) - and I decided to use next page - Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com) where I tried to use button "Update now" (for the first).

As a result, Windows 10 21H1 installed. And, further received Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 was labeled for Windows 10 21H1 specifically.

Perhaps, installed .NET Framework from previous 'build' was not applicable until I installed for fresh Windows build. It may be like ".NET Framework detected and installed; but is not applicable to system - so 'broken somehow'". When required for 'current' build' cumulative updates were installed - reboot - and all is fine.

Sorry for my long reply. I decided to place this feedback - because I'm not sure what it could be if I didn't install any updates then. I did not try to restart/reboot system once more (after trouble is encountered by me). And I immediately decided to check / install updates (if Windows will find something). I just thought that if I had not installed them, then the problem situation could be like this for days.

Thanks.