KEY - Display more than 20 characters from the title in the list

TheoGray
TheoGray Posts: 17 Explorer

Currently the list only displays the first ~20 characters from the entry title regardless of window size. Where a user has a number of entries with similar text for the first 20 characters then deciding which one to click on is difficult. Colouring is useful, but unless you always remember which colour refers to the account you want then this only helps a little.

Currently 5.1.1852.0 allows the vertical splitter to be moved left and right, but this only limits the width of the entry information; it does not change the number of characters displayed in the list for the entry title. This splitter position is also reset whenever the vault is unlocked.

My suggestion is to either

a) Add an option to give the user the choice of whether the split between the list and the entry information is vertical or horizontal so that they can use the whole width of the window for the list if they so choose (list displayed in top-half, entry information in bottom-half).

or

b) Enhance the current vertical splitter to update the number of characters displayed in the list dependent on how much space is available, and also remember the position of the splitter between uses rather than resetting when the vault is next unlocked.

1 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I am only an F-Secure user (their home solutions).

Currently 5.1.1852.0 allows the vertical splitter to be moved left and right, but this only limits the width of the entry information; it does not change the number of characters displayed in the list for the entry title. This splitter position is also reset whenever the vault is unlocked.

I think that part of your request discusses a topic from another request. And which is actually more of a bug and most likely "fixed" already. There was a discussion about: https://community.f-secure.com/en/discussion/123689/id-protection-too-less-characters-of-an-longer-entry-are-displayed-in-vault

My own experience is about beta F-Secure ID Protection - so, my installation with "fixed" situation since 5.1 beta 1 (5.2.1883) (https://community.f-secure.com/en/discussion/123221/fs-id-guardian-added-to-home-security-beta-program). I double check with current build and still a fine fixed state.

So, there is workaround to see full title name now. But maybe your request concern is still valuable. At least, some customization of "vertical vs horizontal" and so things can be good. However, I think "remember the position of the splitter" can be tricky for some cases (I mean, unwanted for user). But what if configured by some checkbox.. maybe good too.

Just my own feelings of priority: current design with next useful things for your described situation - titlename, logo; color (probably, by logo+color combo - there something for even the same titlename). Then, possible to search / filter out entries (helpful if title name with some specific keys after first characters). Too tricky ones can be "starred" for sure.

But, anyway, improvements are always great.

Thanks!

• TheoGray
    TheoGray Posts: 17 Explorer

Thanks for the pointer to the other topic @Ukko ; glad to hear this has been fixed for next version of IDP.

Do you think this fix will come to KEY at all (seeing as the two products now share a codebase with v5), or have F-Secure given up on development of KEY completely now that they've set such a short time frame for killing it off at the end of August?

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Do you think this fix will come to KEY at all

I think so. Maybe the only problem may be the desire not to bring any new bugs.

By the way, I am not friendly with versioning of F-Secure KEY - but your request with mention of "5.1.1852.0". And this build number is discussed there: https://community.f-secure.com/en/discussion/123764/w10-key-version-5-1-1852-0-does-not-update-subscription-status-once-paired

However, this should not be the latest one. Because based on the discussion - recently released a more recent build with some fixes. Could you check it? For example, by downloading installer from F-Secure website?

I also think that current state between F-Secure KEY and F-Secure ID Protection is about "unification". As you wrote, F-Secure KEY since v5+ is partially based on F-Secure IDP design. So, 'original' KEY maybe with "given up on development", but replaced by a fresh approach. So, the main point of EOL(?) is no reason to keep two very close to each other solutions and confuse people with choice. F-Secure IDP still with an ability act as a Password Manager (and maybe F-Secure KEY will be still available for renewal users). So, I think mentioned fix for "vertical splitter and title" might apply to F-Secure KEY too (or already). But they also with a kind of advice to 'migrate' from KEY to IDP with saving your subscription and data (however, still a bit obscure for me the way to do so).

Thanks!