Password sharing with family members

Bibulus_Burnpaw
Bibulus_Burnpaw Posts: 2 New Member
edited November 2021 in F-Secure ID Protection

Currently my wife and me are using keepass, but because we have some shared accounts (like Netflix which still does not support separate accounts for family members) I've been looking into other options. Because we already use Total (For Safe and Freedome), so I already have ID Protection licences.

This week I've finally managed to import my keepass passwords into ID Protection (which was a hassle, because the exports from the current version keepass are not supported), but can't seem to find an option to create a family member account or share a password with another user.

I know some of the competitors have this functionality. Is this even possible in ID Protection?

Accepted Answer

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser
    Answer ✓

Hello,

Thanks for your response and feedback!

Based on description on the websites - probably this functionality about those cases when the web version is used (or something like that), or some "account" of the solution itself.

With F-Secure ID Protection - you type only your master password on your device (account for subscription is a bit another thing and not directly pinned to password manager design).

Basically I store a password in my password database (such as ID Protection). My wife has her own account and is also using the same software (on the same or another device). I then grant her access to the stored credentials so she can also see/use them to log in. Ideally she should even be able to update the stored information and it then should update on my end.

So, you can not use "one" database (synced). For some privacy matters? Only chosen entries / data can be shared and all other are unsuitable for sharing, yes?

If so, indeed there is no such functionality with F-Secure ID Protection (yet). And, maybe, it is tricky to implement with its current design. Because each installation is about "localstorage" / database - which pinned to your device / master password / licence (in a way). But altering by only one piece from 'third' party database is probably something out of its current capabilities.

If not, you can use one licence for one device and then sync it with another ones. I mean, you took one "licence" (of five, for example), install F-Secure ID Protection on device and you can sync this device with a lot of other (your) devices - if you are OK that "one database" will be synced fully across these devices.

After reading about shared passwords - yes, there are some quite pretty points about it. But I am not sure if it will be really useful against just to keep "own" copy (even if one or some credentials used by both).

There are no other similar requests I can find (I have checked all 19 pages of open requests).

Probably, it was this one indeed.

A family member is an account linked to the same licensed account (similar to extra members for the my f-secure portal). This is just an alternative to sharing with any account.

So, do you mean next things:

-> you purchased F-Secure ID Protection (or as part of F-Secure TOTAL) subscription. For example, up to five devices.

-> with My F-Secure Account - you can invite some people to your "circle/group" and share a licences with them.

"family member" functionality will provided some bonuses about this flow. right?

But, by the way, if nothing changed. F-Secure ID Protection with up to five devices are about next view:

• you can install it on one device. (one licence). And sync with your devices.
    • if you want to use it on another device without "synchronization" with previous device - then you can install it and another licence will be used (two of five, in total). Again, you can sync this device with other devices.
    • and so on.

As a result, quite powerful design. Each 'owner' of licence can to sync his devices. With "own" database (storage / credentials).

Thanks!

Answers

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply.  I am only an F-Secure user (their home solutions).

but can't seem to find an option to create a family member account or share a password with another user.

I know some of the competitors have this functionality. Is this even possible in ID Protection?

Probably this stuff is not implemented with current ID Protection version.

But could you a bit explain how it should be or what it will do? I am not friendly with any other password managers or related software - so I am not quite sure what this functionality usually stand for.

For example, what "family member account" of password manager (or ID Protection) supposed to mean? Is it about something like - two "installations" consume one "license"?

Or "share a password". Something like - another user can open ID Protection on your device - but see only "shared" password? Or where it should be shared?

In general, I think with ID Protection there can be some workarounds about mentioned troubles like with Netflix - but good if you back with feedback.. just as a discussion between community users.

Thanks!

// by the way, I did not check - but probably there was a feature request with related subject too. Feature Request board is there: https://community.f-secure.com/en/categories/Idea_Exchange

Sorry for my English!

• Bibulus_Burnpaw
    Bibulus_Burnpaw Posts: 2 New Member

Hi,

The requested functionality is similar to these features of competitors:

https://nordpass.com/features/secure-password-sharing/

https://1password.com/families/

https://www.lastpass.com/family-password-manager

Basically I store a password in my password database (such as ID Protection). My wife has her own account and is also using the same software (on the same or another device). I then grant her access to the stored credentials so she can also see/use them to log in. Ideally she should even be able to update the stored information and it then should update on my end.

This request is similar to this request (https://community.f-secure.com/en/discussion/92130/password-sharing-via-key), but could (should) be handled entirely inside ID Protection.

There are no other similar requests I can find (I have checked all 19 pages of open requests).

A family member is an account linked to the same licensed account (similar to extra members for the my f-secure portal). This is just an alternative to sharing with any account.

These functionality is already available for most competitors in this space for a couple of years. At this point ID Protection is just a more expensive version of a keepass file stored on some kind of cloud platform (like Dropbox or Google Drive).

Have a nice day.

(The links are just plain text, because I'm not allowed to post links)

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info