Help Needed Desperately: How long will iOS 12 be supported???

Hopeful_Future
Hopeful_Future Posts: 67 Contributor
edited February 2022 in F-Secure VPN

Hi,

I hope I'm not being an annoyance, but I tried searching for an answer to my problem and I couldn't find an answer.

My problem: I'm running the FreedomE App on my iPad Mini 3 is my main device and it's running iOS 12 because my iPad Mini 3 doesn't support iOS 13 and iOS 14...

My worry is that F-Secure will stop supporting iOS 12 and I'll no longer be able to use the FreedomE App on my iPad at all. In other words, I'm worried that the FreedomE App will be disabled on my iPad Mini 3 because F-Secure will eventually stop supporting iOS 12...πŸ˜₯

I made a thread on this sometime ago, but it's now locked so it was necessary for me to create a new thread: https://community.f-secure.com/en/discussion/123023/help-please-how-long-will-freedome-vpn-be-supported-on-ios-12#latest

Any help would be appreciated!

Accepted Answers

• Jaims
    Jaims Posts: 846 Former F-Secure Employee
    Answer βœ“

HI @Hopeful_Future

Our response remains unchanged from the previous post and this applies not only to Freedome VPN but to all our other products. The pattern remains, Apple will support iPhones (and all devices it makes) for seven years from the last time it sold that particular model.

Once your device can no longer receive an update, technically, the best recommended is for you to replace such device for your own safety. Any device or software that can no longer receive new updates is vulnerable so it's best to get another one that would be supported for years ahead.

• Jaims
    Answer βœ“

Hi @Hopeful_Future

The Freedome VPN should keep working even after we stop supporting that version of iOS but only until it can no longer receive any update which can occur weeks or months after the support ends. Once that happens, then it's time to get a newer version of an iPad because even Apple, the manufacturer, will no longer support it by then.

As stated earlier, it is for your own safety reason to always ensure you have devices that can still receive updates from the manufacturer.

• Lucaseuropa
    Lucaseuropa Posts: 301 Rock Star
    Answer βœ“

Dear @Hopeful_Future,

Would it be possible for you to tell me how long iOS 12 will be supported?

I do believe that you might try your luck asking this question here πŸ™‚

Is it possible to use a "kill switch" in the FreedomE App for iOS?

Killswitch functionality in FREEDOME VPN is available in the app for Windows and macOS, however, there are minor differences in how the killswitch works on different operating systems.

On iOS, FREEDOME VPN utilizes the built-in IPSEC VPN. The operating system includes a killswitch-like functionality that prevents external leaks. Nevertheless, there may be some unprotected network traffic between the iOS device and Apple. VPN applications, such as F-Secure FREEDOME VPN, cannot affect this.

Answers

• Hopeful_Future

Your message is much appreciated Jaims!

Just so that it's clear in my mind: Will I still be able to use the FreedomE App even when F-Secure FreedomE App stops supporting iOS 12 (which is the most up to date iOS I have access as my iPad Mini 3 isn't able to update to iOS 13 or iOS 14)???

How does this work?

Thanks again!

• Hopeful_Future

Your fast reply is much appreciated Jaims!

Would it be possible for you to tell me how long iOS 12 will be supported?

This is an unrelated question that I didn't want to create a new thread about:

Is it possible to use a "kill switch" in the FreedomE App for iOS? I'm looking

• Jaims

Hi @Hopeful_Future

You can read more about the iOS Killswitch functionality in the link below

iOS device has an inbuilt Killswitch feature which is turned On and does not require a manual changes like Mac, Windows and Android.

• Ozone
    Ozone Posts: 21 Enthusiast

I understand that you can't support old OSes forever, especially OSes not supported by the manufacturer. It would be nice, however, if you would support iOS 12 until it is officially announced as EOL by Apple. I use KEY on an iPad Air (1st gen), and it's sad to see that I can't use KEY/ID Protection on a perfectly functional device.

The current KEY says that one should upgrade to ID Protection, and links to the app store for the app. When you try to install it, fails on iOS 12. It would be a better user experience if the KEY would detect that is running on iOS 12 (shouldn't be difficult) and announce that you can't upgrade or use the app after the set date (August 31st, 2021), instead of having to user to go through the hoops that is bound to fail.

This discussion has been closed.
Product & Pricing Info