ID Protection shuts down each time I copy account name or password from the vault

bwalle
bwalle Posts: 1 New Member
edited November 2021 in F-Secure ID Protection

ID Protection (replacement for KEY) shuts down each time I copy a password from the vault and have to re-enter the Master Password to start it up again.

ID Protection shuts down in Windows 10 Version 2004 in either Chrome 89 or Edge 89.

I really enjoyed KEY but was forced to replace it with ID Protection which as a LOT more bugs.

BTW - I am unable to select the category for this questions because the drop down list box doesn't allow me to pick a category. Hopefully Tags work

Answers

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Just for the clarity. What is your current version of F-Secure ID Protection (rightclick tray logo, "About")?

Also, ID Protection shuts down (closed?) with any password? I tried with my installation (not upgrade from F-Secure KEY) and it was possible to copy each password / username. No crashes, shuts down or so. Thus, good to know if your experience is about any try to copy password/username or the very specific one.

Also, then you mentioned "in either Chrome 89 or Edge 89". What are exact steps to repeat "shut down"? Is it copy from interface. Or somewhat related with autofill functionality?

I tried to play with extension/autofill - but also there was not crash, but I am not sure how to copy anything from there.

Thanks!

• Lucaseuropa
    Lucaseuropa Posts: 301 Rock Star
    edited March 2021

Hey @bwalle !

We will be checking that for you, no worries.

Should I know more about the issue you experience and how to solve it, I will reply to this conversation.

Also, could you please share with us your IDP version? @Ukko has already asked for that, it's a good start 🙂

Thanks!

• tml63
    tml63 Posts: 7 Explorer

Hello,

I actually have the same issue. This is 2nd time it hits me. 1st time (some weeks ago) I solved the issue by reinstalling the ID PROTECTION. Today the issue hit me again.

So, every time I try to copy something to clipboard the client app crashes. Fortunately it does the copy before crashing.

Currently I have Win 10 Pro 2004, but I upgraded it to 2004 between the 1st and 2nd occurrence of this issue (I cannot recall what version I had before 2004).

The ID PROTECTION says it is version 5.0.

From event log I can find following entry for every crash:

Application: KeyClientApp.exe

Framework Version: v4.0.30319

Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.

Exception Info: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException

at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32, IntPtr)

at System.Windows.Clipboard.Flush()

at System.Windows.Clipboard.CriticalSetDataObject(System.Object, Boolean)

at System.Windows.Clipboard.SetDataInternal(System.String, System.Object)

at FSecure.KeyClientApp.Pages.ViewPasswordPage.OnCopy(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)

at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs, Boolean)

at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(System.Windows.DependencyObject, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)

at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnClick()

at System.Windows.Controls.Button.OnClick()

at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnMouseLeftButtonUp(System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs)

at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(System.Delegate, System.Object)

at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)

at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs, Boolean)

at System.Windows.UIElement.ReRaiseEventAs(System.Windows.DependencyObject, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs, System.Windows.RoutedEvent)

at System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseUpThunk(System.Object, System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs)

at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(System.Delegate, System.Object)

at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)

at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(System.Windows.DependencyObject, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)

at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseTrustedEvent(System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)

at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea()

at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessInput(System.Windows.Input.InputEventArgs)

at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput(System.Windows.Input.InputReport)

at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.ReportInput(IntPtr, System.Windows.Input.InputMode, Int32, System.Windows.Input.RawMouseActions, Int32, Int32, Int32)

at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.FilterMessage(IntPtr, MS.Internal.Interop.WindowMessage, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)

at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.InputFilterMessage(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)

at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)

at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)

at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)

at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)

at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)

at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)

at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)

at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)

at FSecure.KeyClientApp.EntryPoint.Main(System.String[])

• Lucaseuropa

Hey @tml63 and @bwalle

Guys, could you please check out the exact version of your F-Secure ID Protection?

To do that, please open F-Secure ID Protection on your Windows computer and go to Help, then click on About and choose License information.

You will see the below window popping up on your screen, the exact version of IDP is in the bottom right corner:

• tml63

Hi,

I have exactly same version as in your screenshot.

Btw, I re-installed the ID PROTECTION. It copied one password w/o crashing and then the crashing started again. So, now this is more or less static featutre.

Regards,

TML

• Lucaseuropa

Hey @tml63 ,

Thank you for confirming that for me.

May I ask you to reproduce the issue? Before you do that, please enable advanced debug logging:

1. Download the debug tool from download.f-secure.com/support/tools/CCF-logging-tool/fsloglevel.exe
    2. Double click fsloglevel.exe
    3. Select Full Logging
    4. Click OK
    5. Restart the computer
    6. Reproduce the steps that caused the original problem and take note of exact time of the problem
    7. Generate an FSDIAG diagnostic file by following the steps explained in this link: https://community.f-secure.com/common-home-en/kb/articles/5427-how-do-i-create-an-fsdiag-file
    8. Run the fsloglevel.exe tool a second time after submitting the logs
    9. Click on Normal Logging to turn off the debug mode (debug mode slows down the machine slightly)

Once you'll have your FSDIAG diagnostic file, please go here: https://www.f-secure.com/en/business/support-and-downloads/submit-a-sample to submit this file.

Do not forget to check I want to give more details about this sample and to be notified of the analysis results box to provide us with your personal information such as your email address - I will then be able to find the file you have generated in our systems by searching with your email address.

We will be looking into that.

Thank you so much for your input.

• tml63

Hi @Lucaseuropa,

I reproduced the issue and recognized that it is TigerVNCviewer64-1.9.0 that triggers somehow the crash.

I use PuTTY 0.71 (Windows, 32bit) to set up ssh-tunnel (either L5901 --> localhost:5901 or L5902 --> localhost:5902). The crash seems to happen only when the VNC viewer is connected to server. I wonder if this rings some bells.

I'll check the exact timestamp from event log and upload the diag file later.

BR,

TML

• tml63

@Lucaseuropa : The file is now submitted.

• io5
    io5 Posts: 1 New Member

Got the same issue in Key version 5.0.

Is there allready an update to that case?

Regards

TTH

• Lucaseuropa

Dear @io5 ,

A fix should be released during April, with the built number 5.2.1684.

Thank you for you patience.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info