System auto-fill feature lost in Windows client?

K_P
K_P Posts: 53 Enthusiast
edited March 2021 in F-Secure ID Protection

Hi,

After updating (Windows version) of the ID Protection to v5.0 it seems that there is no longer system auto-fill feature?

Was that dropped away on purpose, or is this a bug?

Accepted Answer

• Lucaseuropa
    Lucaseuropa Posts: 301 Rock Star
    edited March 2021 Answer ✓

Dear @Timo_H_from_W,

Due to your last post I have to assume, that I got the topic wrong. I'm sorry, this was not my intension. To end my mistake and reach clarification I would be glad for answering my last regarding questions.

I have perfectly understood your question and therefore consulted it with out product team. Let me go back to my previous answer and quote myself:

Please be aware that with the F-Secure ID PROTECTION Autofill feature, you can log in to websites without needing to enter usernames and passwords manually.This autofill feature works only in ChromeEdge or Firefox

To clarify that - there is no more system autofill in F-Secure ID Protection Autofill feature on Windows 10 computers, i.e. autofill works only for websites.

Let me try to answer more of your questions:

The system fill-out function is no longer available, is that correct? Lest this is the case, is it conceivable that F-Secure team will bring back this feature or has it been deleted without substitution?

That is correct. I suppose that this feature will no longer be available in F-Secure ID Protection for Windows.

I hope that the above was helpful for you, Timo. Should you have any more questions or concerns, feel free to post here, I will be happy to help! 🙂

Answers

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Perhaps, not a bug. Because system autofill is not described in Online Help for F-Secure ID Protection: https://help.f-secure.com/product.html#home/id-protection-windows/latest/en/concept_8989753D6F814F17ACD6144239CFE4FB-latest-en

But I am not sure about purposes. Maybe inability to provide proper 'system' autofill support or for other applications rather than chosen browsers. Or that 'addon'-based autofill is pinned to current security design of handling entries / passwords and its security vision.

Thanks!

• Lucaseuropa

Hi @K_P !

Is the auto-fill feature not working, or the whole IDP is gone from your computer after update?

Thank you for clarifying.

• K_P

Hi Lucaseuropa,

Both ;)

The whole feature is not available on the latest ID Protection client running on windows. With the Mac version it is still available (there has not been updates for a while) but not working that well.

Sad the see the system autofill feature to disappear, as in my use scenarios also it was quite handy. One might actually type passwords also to other apps than browsers :)

Unfortunately it seems that ID Protection is loosing good feature, but still unable to implement ones that would be useful (touch id on Mac, better organisation of password with e.g. labels, to mention to two most important to myself).

• Timo_H_from_W
    Timo_H_from_W Posts: 3 New Member

Hello there,

I'm curious if there is already a solution available for this Problem? Or maybe news regarding this issue?

Best regards

Timo

• Lucaseuropa
    edited March 2021

Hey @Timo_H_from_W ,

Sorry for my delayed reply! I must have missed your previous message..

What helped in my case on my personal computer was to reinstall the app. I just downloaded it from my My F-Secure account (for Windows) and run the installer. My IDP was also gone after the update, but when I reinstalled it, it asked me for my old Master Password and everything was working fine again.

Could you please confirm whether you've reinstalled the app and the auto-fill function works again?

If not, could you please describe your workflow? When does it causes troubles, which browser you use and so on - it will then be easier for me to reproduce that and see whether we experience similar issues 🙂

• Timo_H_from_W

Hello @Lucaseuropa ,

thank your for your answer. You did not miss a previous message, because this was my first post in this community. In my case the update from KEY to IDP worked well, but the system fill-out funktion was gone. According to your instruction, I uninstalled the IDP-app via feature manager and reinstaled it. Sadly the system fill-out function is still not working. The settings menu does not even offer this option.

When I was reading the former posts again, the content of this thread seems to be a little different to its topic. To make sure that I got it right and we are talking about the same thing, I would like to ask two questions. The system fill-out is the function that fills in the respective keyword to the apps installed on my system (for example Thunderbird or Steam)? The browser fill-out fills in the keywords and Usernames to my online-accounts, but is not part of this thread. Is that right?

Best regardes

Timo

• Lucaseuropa

Dear @Timo_H_from_W

Thank you very much for your message, it's a really interesting question!

I've consulted that for you with our ID Protection product team. Please be aware that with the F-Secure ID PROTECTION Autofill feature, you can log in to websites without needing to enter usernames and passwords manually.

This autofill feature works only in Chrome, Edge or Firefox, and prior to that you would also need to:

1. Turn on the browser Autofill feature in the settings and
    2. install the browser extension or add-on for your selected browser.

First of all, please make sure that you have installed and authorized the browser extension:

1. Open F-Secure ID PROTECTION.
    2. Go to Settings > General settings.
    3. Under Autofill, select Enable browser autofill and do the following:

For Chrome:

1. Select Install Chrome extension.
    2. On the Chrome Web Store, select Add to Chrome > Add extension. The F-Secure password manager extension has now been added to your browser extensions. To view the extensions added to your browser, select the Extensions icon in the top-right corner of the browser.

For Edge:

1. Open the Edge browser and select Settings and more > Extensions (in the top-right corner of the browser). The Extensions page opens, listing all the already installed extensions.
    2. To get the F-Secure password manager extension, select the Chrome Web Store link. The Chrome Web Store opens.
    3. In the web store, search for F-Secure password manager and when it's found, select Password Manager by F-Secure.
    4. Select Add to Chrome > Add extension. The F-Secure password manager extension has now been added to your browser extensions.

For Firefox:

1. Select Install Firefox add-on.
    2. On the Firefox ADD-ONS page, select Add to Firefox > Add. The extension has now been added to your browser and the Password Manager by F-Secure icon appears in the top-right corner of the browser.

Please note, that to complete the installation of the browser extension, you still need to authorize the extension as follows:

1. Go back to the app, and in Settings > General settings > Autofill at the bottom of the page, select Copy to clipboard to copy the authorization code needed to complete the setup.
    2. In the browser, select Extensions > Password Manager by F-Secure (in the top-right corner of the browser) and paste in the copied authorization code in the window that opens.
    3. Select Authorize > Close. The browser extension is now enabled.

Once you make sure that you have correctly installed and authorized the ID extension on your supported browser, please let me know whether you still experience any issues with the autofill feature.

Thanks!

• Timo_H_from_W

Hello @Lucaseuropa ,

I do not have any problems with the browser fill-out used with my Firefox. This feature works perfectly. But in the past I used the fill-out function for installed software tools like Thunderbird or Steam on my windows 10 personal computer. In the former app KEY, it was possible to choose between browser fill-out and system fill-out. I allways used the system fill-out function and since this feature disapeared, the user comfort decreased to a level as one might say quite annoying and inconventioned.

Due to your last post I have to assume, that I got the topic wrong. I'm sorry, this was not my intension. To end my mistake and reach clarification I would be glad for answering my last regarding questions.

The system fill-out function is no longer available, is that correct? Lest this is the case, is it conceivable that F-Secure team will bring back this feature or has it been deleted without substitution?

Best regards

Timo

• K_P

Hi,

My issues, in short, is that "system autofill" feature was removed from the ID Protection in the latest update for the Windows platform. It's the feature that I had plenty of use. The browser autofill is working ok (for now, it has been more or less unstable in the past).

I have not used the previous "F-Secure Key", my subscription has been for ID Protection. And system auto-fill feature was available also in Windows platform. (Or, the ID Protection subscription has for some reason first installed older Key version, but that would be weird?). The "system autofill" feature is still present on the Mac version of ID protection, but really not working that well.

• K_P

Sad to see, that the feature that positively differentiated ID Protection from the competition is gone.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info