💻 | The Future Of VPNs?

Issues4Life
Issues4Life Posts: 88 Contributor
edited December 2020 in General Discussion

Hmmm ...

I "have to be around for a little while longer before [I] can post links."

So I cannot share a seven (7) minute) video demonstration that highlights the performance advantages of a Multi-Path, Multi-VPN network over a Single-Path VPN network.

Or share the link with Reg Harnish's, CEO of GreyCastle Security, quote.

STILL I HAVE QUESTION(s):

1. Could Multi-Path, Multi-VPN networks be the future for today's Virtual Private Networks (VPNs)?

2. Or is Reg Harnish, CEO of GreyCastle Security right when he predicts a future with no privacy?

QUOTE: "I think like many cybersecurity technologies, people will flock to them hoping for salvation - but VPNs won't provide that. There is a small amount of privacy left, and in the future, privacy will be a thing of the past. In 10-15 years, we'll be talking about privacy like we currently talk about rotary phones - we simply don't talk about them."

I sincerely hope Reg is wrong ...

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply.

I only want to express one point about. I think it very much depends on what is meant by "privacy" and how to understand "privacy". As such, privacy cannot be 'disappeared'. And there is always a future with privacy.

But a certain side of it (when that is not always a 'privacy' actually OR very-very depending on stuff in charge) can be with some troubles around. For example, just like with 'urban' surveillance cameras in buildings / traffic cameras and so on (and design of how it should be handling to save privacy).

What about VPN - I am not sure. This is quite normal tool for quite basic task (and this is the most important and helpful use). To expect something more is a bit tedious. But its look and speculation around are really ambitious.

• Issues4Life
    Issues4Life Posts: 88 Contributor

Ukko ...

Thank you very much ...

I understand the difference between "Privacy" and "Anonymity" ...

Privacy is the ability to keep some things to yourself ...

Anonymity is when you may want people to see what you do, just not that it’s you doing it ...

Please, check out "DVN vs VPN Demo" on Vimeo ...

Since both F-Secure and ProtonVPN have reported that "Apple iDS may leak traffic outside the VPN tunnel", I was looking for new ways to overcome this new direction in mobile phones ...

So could ...

Could Multi-Path, Multi-VPN networks be the future for today's Virtual Private Networks (VPNs)?

Again, thank you very much for your reply ...

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Since both F-Secure and ProtonVPN have reported that "Apple iDS may leak traffic outside the VPN tunnel", I was looking for new ways to overcome this new direction in mobile phones ...

So could …

Could Multi-Path, Multi-VPN networks be the future for today's Virtual Private Networks (VPNs)?

Actually, based on this article: Apple iOS may leak traffic outside the VPN tunnel - F-Secure Community (f-secure.com)

with some workarounds and mentions of importance to fix on iOS side. And, perhaps, multipath VPN is not a help with mentioned trouble (or related ones). But if I understood it right - then, of course, it will be possible to meet multi-path (multi-VPN) solutions more often. However, I am not sure that this is the only important thing around VPN (as technology).

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.