⧚ PAT vs. NAT Firewalls ⧛ and the Freedome VPN

Issues4Life
Issues4Life Posts: 88 Contributor
edited December 2020 in F-Secure VPN

It's my understanding that the Freedome VPN uses Port Address Translation (PAT) to assign the same public IP address to all of it's VPN users connected to the same server (without unique private IP addresses).

IMHO, this is much more secure than a Network Address Translation (NAT) Firewall.

Again, IMHO, PAT adds a "Significant Layer" of anonymity, because online activity cannot be traced back to an individual person or device by an IP address.

In other words, with hundreds of F-Secure Freedome VPN customers connected to the same location (i.e., server) at the same time, I'm guessing that it would be impossible to untangle which subscriber each request came from.

A Few Of Questions:

1. Is F-Secure a VPN provider that argues against NAT firewalls?

2. If, YES to Question #1, does F-Secure's Freedome VPN use a port-blocking (i.e., Port Address Translation) firewall in lieu of a NAT firewall?

3. How does the F-Secure SENSE Router factor in all of this?

Answers

• Jaims
    Jaims Posts: 846 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi @Issues4Life

F-Secure FREEDOME VPN hides and has always hidden a large amount of users behind a single IP address. This enhances the privacy a great deal - if all the users on our system would have a dedicated IP address, it would allow mapping a single user to a certain IP address. It would not be a very feasible approach technically or financially, either.

We do not comment about other VPN vendors. SENSE Router also does not have anything to do with FREEDOME.

This discussion has been closed.
Product & Pricing Info